The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2013, 11:50 AM   #26
GWS

Quote:
There's just too little info about this press. Those pictures are tiny, it's damn near impossible to see how it works. Is there a guide for that sliding collar? What keeps it from riding around that central post/column,(I hesitate to call it a ram). That would induce side-to-side movement of the die as it descends down upon the brass case.
I agree there's not much we can really see with those small pictures. I'm not seeing evidence of a guide around the ram, but I see that on the back of the moving die holder, that there is a ridge where probably set screws push against something there to keep the ram tight???....keyed spacer maybe? That would stop any side to side. I'm guessing its metal against metal around the rest of it.

I went to THIS site and downloaded then zoomed in the pictures, so I could see a little more. (There's a tad more info there but not much) I will say this: the cast nubs holding the linkage at the top seems smallish and could be a weak link prone to break. Heck the whole press seems small when you envision a die screwed in there.......so I don't know.... it still seems like an interesting idea to take portable, but at the price, it may not sell unless it has more to offer.....we shall see.

Primers appear to just roll out the front on the bench. (little ramp visible there. Hope that's wrong.

Last edited by GWS; January 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:52 PM   #27
jaguarxk120

The info sheet says it has a spent pimer catcher, but how many spent primers?

The operating links could be placed farther forward toward the die opening, I would give up that space to have operating pressure more downward on te ram. Right now the links press on the ram and it will tilt back against the press column.

Too bad they couldn't have designed a press like the Redding UltraMag with compound linkage at the die station.