The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2012, 07:55 AM   #1
joshf128

Buy Cast Bullets in Ft. Worth/Dallas?

Does anybody know of a good (read: cheap) place to buy cast bullets in the Ft. Worth area? I just started reloading and Cabela's has a decent selection but their prices are significantly higher than what I see on the internet and the largest quantities they have are 500. Cheaper than Dirt is just up the road, but they don't sell any reloading supplies out of their storefront, only online.

Ideally I'm looking for 45ACP .452 in a variety of styles (SWC, RN at least) for about $7-8/100 when bought in 500 or 1000 quantities.
Old April 19, 2012, 08:04 AM   #2
rbernie

If you live in the north Plano/Allen area, Gunmasters usually has a pretty good selection of cast bullets. They used to carry mostly Kead, until he stopped casting due to personal issues that needed attention, and now they carry several other local caster's brands.
Old April 19, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3
joshf128

Thanks for the reply. I'm closer to Alliance/Keller area so gas money to Plano would be about the same as internet shipping. I will definitely check them out the next time I'm over on that area. Does anyone else know of any places that sell reloading supplies in Ft. Worth besides Cabelas?

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
Old April 19, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
saltydog452

Dang, sorry to hear about Kead. He is a personable, outgoing, no-bull person.

Who else would spring for a decent steak supper before turning in a fugitive to the nice folks at the Sterrett Welcome Center.

He was also my source of .454 FPRN chuncks of lead.

salty
Old April 19, 2012, 01:23 PM   #5
rbernie

Quote:
Dang, sorry to hear about Kead. He is a personable, outgoing, no-bull person.
Roger that. Sadly, I do not think that he will be casting any time in the future; he and his wife are simply getting up in years and I am hearing that they need to focus on their health.

Quote:
I'm closer to Alliance/Keller area
On the west side of town, have you called Alpine Shooting Range to see what cast bullets they carry? I seem to recall hearing that they had a decent reloading supply inventory....

Last edited by rbernie; April 19, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old April 19, 2012, 01:57 PM   #6
jtmckinney

The cast bullits I have bought from Alpine (located in Kennedale) are made by Bulletworks located somewhere aroung Bridgeport. On the web at <www.bulletworks.com>. I have bought from them by phone when Alpine did not have what I wanted, I also do not know if they have store hours or not.

I have been very happy with the quality from them.

Hope this helps and good luck!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old April 19, 2012, 07:49 PM   #7
dickttx

I have been out to Alpine three times and their prices absolutely astound me. Don't think I will ever go back. They are a long way out in the country. Couple of weeks ago they were getting $5 for primers.
Don't believe you can beat Missouri Bullet Co for prices or quality. Just got 1K of 125gn 38 Super and 1K of 200gn RNFP 45's from them last week. The mail man grunts and heaves, but leaves them right on your door step. $13.75 will ship 2K of 200 gn bullets. I couldn't drive from the Ridglea area to Cabelas and back for that. And Cabelas wouldn't have what I wanted anyway.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:58 PM   #8
moxie

I live in Erath Co. and I can't find anything local either. I buy cast from either MBC or Friendswood, a good Texas outfit.

http://www.friendswoodbullet.com/

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old April 23, 2012, 10:44 AM   #9
F. Guffey

joshf128, A reloader in Garland, TX. purchased some lead bullets that he was not satisfied with, seems he thought they were too large in diameter, I boxed up some lube/sizing equipment and drove over (do not know how much gas was required) to get him going in the right direction, he is interested in getting into bullet casting and sizing, that is not something I have to get into, I am there, on occasions I do not have the correct bullet lube/sizer and or top punch, again, not having something is a phone call a way and or can be found at the next gun show, all the way across Dallas, I do not know how many miles or the amount of gas required to get there, but there is a another reloader, if I do not have it, he does.

He had a little trouble with the concept of bullet casting is like hog killing back in TN. and KY.

F. Guffey
Old April 23, 2012, 08:56 PM   #10
CherokeeT

When I lived in Coppell in the 80's, there was a shop in Lewisville that had good reloading supplies and sold "Rucker" cast bullets. Don't know if they are still there.
Old April 24, 2012, 02:47 PM   #11
F. Guffey

Ruckers is still reloading, he died, the wife and one of the sons is still involved in the reloading store in Mesquite on the square, they hired a manager reloader/ex-policeman to run the store and she does the gun shows, I always enjoy visiting with her, I make the Big Town gun show in Mesquite, TX and the Market Hall Gun Show. There are at least 3 different dealers that sell cast bullets at both shows.

Then for others there is the FT. Worth, TX gun show, I am 15 miles from the Market Hall Gun Show, by knowing current prices I can always off set the price of gas and expenses.

Last gun show, RCBS case trimmer shell plates, 12 for $15.00, 3 modified Hornady/Sinclair cases thrown in free, 2 Uniflow rotor type drums, small and large for $10.00 each, collets for case trimmers 4 for $12.00 #1, #2, #3 and #4, etc..

F. Guffey
Old April 24, 2012, 03:23 PM   #12
dickttx

I wouldn't consider buying bullets at a gun show. Assuming you could leave them where you bought them until time to leave, you would have to carry them at least a quarter mile to your vehicle. I can barely carry 2K to the garage after the postman leaves them.
Old April 24, 2012, 04:00 PM   #13
F. Guffey

Too far, gas expenses, price too high and then too heavy. I go to the shooting range, I look like the Clampets, I put wheels under everything, If I went to a gun show looking for bullets I would take a 2 wheel something or the other, I build computers, there are times I need parts, so, I go to a computer recycler and find all type of interesting equipment, good stuff. I have refrigerator type hand trucks, I have different 2 wheel type trucks that are referred to as box dollies, and when it comes to pianos, I have piano dollies, I purchased a big lathe, cheap, I was told how much it was going cost to move it, and I said “You said nothing about paying you to move it” and they watched, anything, just anything for light, cussing the darkness is is not what I do.

F. Guffey
Old April 24, 2012, 04:35 PM   #14
dickttx

My whole point is that the best selection and the easiest to purchase is on line.

I try to go to the Original Fort Worth Gun Show when it is at the Will Rogers, but the three hours of walking is about all my 75 year old bones can take. I picked up a new Colt Rail Gun from my FFL at one of the shows and I thought my arms were going to fall off before I got to my vehicle three hours later.
And yes, I do watch my gasoline expenses. Ingrained from nearly 50 years as a CPA.
Old April 26, 2012, 10:00 PM   #15
orionengnr

I generally buy my bullets (and primers) from Southwest Ammo Supply. They have a table set up at most of the local DFW area shows. Their store is located in Mesquite.

Doesn't hurt that they are great people to deal with, and their prices are reasonable--last time I purchased it was $42/500 for 200gr SWC .452 lead bullets and $30/1000 Winchester LPP.

When times were tight two or three years ago, they did not gouge anyone. They kept their prices reasonable when they could have made a killing like everyone else was doing.

That cemented my loyalty. I will do business with them as long as I live in this area.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:05 PM   #16
F. Guffey

orionegnr, dicktxx, said “his whole point was....” I did not have a point but I did recap a number of excuses, reasons and what ever rationales there were for not getting out if the house, I mentioned too far, gas cost, etc., etc.. Then it got too heavy, then I suggested putting wheels under it, and I built a rifle, it was suggested it was too heavy, then I told him if the rifle was too heavy to carry “STAY HOME” or get in shape.

I agree with you, I have enjoyed doing business with Southwest ammo on the square and at the gun shows, if not doing business when I am in the area I stop for a visit.

F. Guffey
Old April 27, 2012, 10:14 AM   #17
BombthePeasants

CherokeeT, the store you are likely referencing was Nix Guns (or something to that effect). They are long gone, they sold out when Lewisville Medical Center bought up their shop.