The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 7, 2005, 11:07 PM   #26
Dust_Devil

If I am about to be attacked and maybe killed by someone, the last thing that would be going through my mind is possible lawsuits against me if I killed my attacker.
Old October 7, 2005, 11:22 PM   #27
281 Quad Cam

I keep hearing...

If you are thinking about lawyers... Don't shoot.

Last edited by 281 Quad Cam; October 8, 2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old October 8, 2005, 02:29 AM   #28
guntotin_fool

these defense lawyers who demand 100k or 50K up front, they all drive 100K cars and wear 4K suits. you do not need this. this is showmanship and price gouging

a good lawyer does not have to cost a fortune. My lawyer told me that the guy he would use charges 250 an hour, and wins waaaaaay more than he ever loses. If it is an upfront and legit shoot, you will not lose.

as far as gee no one saw me, I will just walk away. NOPE not happening. too many chances of cameras. some kid in the woods NSA satellite taking pics who knows but i am going to stand my ground
Old October 8, 2005, 04:19 AM   #29
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust_devil
If I am about to be attacked and maybe killed by someone, the last thing that would be going through my mind is possible lawsuits against me if I killed my attacker.
That about covers it
Old October 8, 2005, 06:05 AM   #30
Blackwater OPS

^ heh,of course the fact that you own a gun REALLY shows you planned to shoot someone!
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old October 8, 2005, 06:38 AM   #31
ISP2605

"If I am about to be attacked and maybe killed by someone, the last thing that would be going through my mind is possible lawsuits against me if I killed my attacker."

Agreed, but you better be thinking about it sometime before you ever get to a shooting situation. After the shooting is no time to get an education that you need an attorney. I cannot begin to list the number of justified shootings I've handled and then later the shooter calls me all upset that they just found out they're being sued by the person/family they've shot. The first words out of their mouth is usually something like "How can they sue me? I was cleared?" Fact is, anyone can sue anyone, and when someone gets shot you better just plan that you'll be sued. And if you think you can rely on being cleared in a criminal investigation to save your bacon, and money, in a civil case then you are the one who really does need to talk to an attorney long before getting in a shooting situation. You'll need a good lesson in the law. The proof in a civil case is a whole lot less than criminal cases. In civil the person only has to convince 51% of the jury that something more likely than not occurred. And the admission of evidence and testimoney is a whole lot less restricted in a civil case.
So the time to be thinking about an attorney is not while you're in a shooting situation. The time to think about it is right now.
I've handled many many shootings in my LE career. I am constantly amazed at the reactions I'll hear from shooters. Can't believe how many times I've been asked if we are going to clean up the blood in the person's house, or replace the blood soaked carpert, or clean and paint the walls. People fail to realize that after a shooting and all the police and medics have gone, they're left with what they created.
Old October 8, 2005, 07:34 PM   #32
SAXD9

Quote:
You are walking home at night, a BG attacks you/threatens you with a deadly weapon, thus giving you the legal right to defend your self and shoot him. You shoot, he dies, no one else sees it. You could easily go home and leave the BG on the street, and no one would know besides you. Would this be a bad idea?
That would be my instinct.....100 years ago, before all the CSI technology they've come up with. My Springfield came with a little envelope in the case with a spent shell casing in it. I may work for 'the man' but that don't mean I trust 'him' (big brother). I'm worried that that slug, matching the rifling in my guns barrel is in the FBI database somewhere. And even if it's a good shoot, they'd think you left the scene because you murdered the guy.
Norinco SKS/ Wolf 7.62x39 FMJ