The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 31, 2013, 03:47 PM   #26
SR420

I would take a Poly Tech M14s over most any newer Springer M1A.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:30 PM   #27
stu925

Quote:
If you break the firing pin in a Mini-30, you very well may have to ship the whole rifle back to Ruger to have it fixed.
Change that to you will definitely have to ship the rifle back to Ruger to have it fixed. Firing pins for the Minis are a Ruger only part, they will not sell them to anyone else, the reason being they need to be fit to the bolt. The only aftermarket pins that I know of are the Glend Arms pins which also have a reputation for breakage, something to do with how they are heat treated I think.

Question at hand is whether the M1A is worth the extra money, depends on what you plan to do with it. In my opinion The M1A is absolutely worth the extra money. I do not own an M1A yet but I have fired them and I love the rifle and plan to won one just as soon as I can justify spending that much money. If you plan to keep all your shots at 200yds or under then the Mini-30 may very well be the rifle for you but if you want a little more punch than the 7.62x39 can provide then the M1A is your rifle.

Stu
Old January 31, 2013, 11:09 PM   #28
Ignition Override

If Russian 7.62x39 ammo prices come down to anything similar to what they were, is shooting more ammo for a given price a factor?

The only reason I bought my first SKS ('early '08), used Mini 14 and 30 (early '08) was because of the fairly cheap ammo prices.
With these older series, the old, thicker post sights could have been better. But for zapping plastic bottles out to 50 yards, this was much more fun than shooting expensive .308 ammo in a much more expensive gun.

Having only been bitten by the 'gun bug' late in life, ammo prices are a much higher priority to some of us than the type of gun. Since then I've never seen affordable .308/Nato 7.62 unless it was reloaded multiple times with very economical components.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:16 PM   #29
Willie Sutton

You would rather have a Springfield over a Polytech? Why?

My Springfield M1A NM is almost 30 years old, has shot thousands and thousands of flawless rounds, still shoots about a MOA with it's Leatherwood ART II attached, and I can't think of how it could be improved.

On the other hand, I do not support the Chinese Arms Industry.... I do not send money to our declared economic enemy if I can help doing so.

Might just be me...

Willie

Old February 1, 2013, 12:38 AM   #30
slicknickns

If you got the money to afford an M1A, I don't know why'd you consider a Mini (not knocking Minis)
Old February 1, 2013, 08:36 AM   #31
Skans

While I think of China as something darker than just out economic enemy, their M14 semi-auto barreled actions are proven top quality. When it comes to guns, I don't care who makes them, I want the best. I don't like Nazis either, but that wouldn't stop me from buying an STG 44!
Old February 1, 2013, 09:02 AM   #32
Willie Sutton

^^

I don't mind enjoying the spoils of defeat.
I don't support enemies ascendent.

Willie

Old February 2, 2013, 01:16 AM   #33
bamaranger

most useful

Ya'know, I think the M1A is a great rifle. It can be tuned up to go the match/competition route, way out there, and the rifle is in use as we speak by our military in the middle east as a sniper and DM package. Proven, durable and rugged system. The cartridge has lots of punch . Mags with enough ammo to serve any purpose. And that SOCOM model....man, I'd love to have one. I see no reason why a fella shouldn't get some version of the M1A if he wants.

But I don't think I'd shoot it much. I don't do service rifle matches. And my .308 sporters are lighter and shorter for hunting. Not easy to scope either. I can't seem to find an easy way to carry an M1A short of port arms or slung. And ammo is through the roof these days, even if you load.

The Mini gets shot a good bit. The x39 ctg was affordable for so long that laying in a good supply was not to expensive. I can carry it (w/ the 5 rd box) about as easy as any other carbine, and way easier than a std M1
A. The factory 20 rd box added more options for other uses, SD/HD. Scopes easy, rings included. Mines been as reliable as a brick. Enough accuracy, range and punch to do about everything I need to do with a GP rifle...... if I'd just admit it.

But then I'd never justify a SOCOM.....
Old February 2, 2013, 07:38 AM   #34
SR420

The SOCOM was the last configuration that I had built for me by SEI.
The CQB-16 type SEI is a great little rifle made even better by M14.ca
Old February 2, 2013, 07:48 AM   #35
4V50 Gary
Staff

Whike they were both inflinced by Garand (John Garand even had a hand in developing the M-14, they are Dissimilar guns. What is the mission or purpose of acquiring a gun? Select the caliber.

If I wanted a 7.62x39, I'd go for the SKS. If I wanted longer reach, I'd go with a 7.62 mm NATO gun and not necessarily the M-14 based action.
Old February 2, 2013, 07:54 AM   #36
m.p.driver

There are cheaper alternatives to a M1a1,if you want .308,and you want to look for it.FAL's both from 20 years ago, and present DSA, Cetme's, just make sure you get a good one,or go for a PTR91.Mas 49/56,once again, just make sure you don't get the Century pig.I have two Springfield M1a1's for use in the matches.But as far as just shooting for fun,Imbel FAL,its just a great shooting rifle.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:37 AM   #37
sigshepardo

Mini 30

From the looks of what you're asking, I would choose the Mini 30. Best bang for your buck.

Tags
accuracy , cost , m1a , mini 30 , reliability