The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 15, 2010, 03:40 PM   #1
jckeffer

Predator Hunting - Time for a Trouser Change!

I don't know if this has been posted before, I just received it from my FIL.

Subject: Why we carry guns in Alaska

This guy lives just outside of Soldotna, Alaska.

Ruger .454 Casull (and some "hot" 350 grain solids).

Friends,

Have I got a story for you guys!

King season is over, and since I had a day off before silvers start, I thought I would go for a walk! This occurred at 11:16 am this morning (Sunday), just 2/10 of a mile from my house.

ON OUR ROAD while walking my dogs (ironically trying to get in shape for hunting season!) for the record, this is in a residential area-not back in the woods . . . No bow hunting . . . No stealth occurring . . . I heard a twig snap . . . And looked back . . . Full on charge-a huge brownie, ears back, head low and motorin' full speed! Came with zero warning; no Woof, no popping of the teeth, no standing up, nothing like what you think or see on TV! It charged from less than 20 yards and was on me in about one-second! Totally surreal . . . I just started shooting in the general direction . . . And praise God that my second shot (or was it my third?) rolled him at 5 feet and he skidded to a stop 10 feet BEYOND where I was shooting from . . . I actually sidestepped him and fell over backwards on the last shot . . . And his momentum carried him to a stop past where I fired my first shot!

It was a prehistoric old boar .. . . No teeth . . . No fat . . . Weighed between 900-1000 Lbs and took five men to DRAG it onto a tilt-bed trailer! Big bear . . . Its Paw measured out at about a 9 1/2 footer!

Never-ever-thought 'it' would happen to me! It's always some other smuck . . . Right?

Well, no bull .. . . I am still high on adrenaline . . . With my gut in a Knot (felt like I did 10000 crunches without stopping)! Almost puked for an hour after . . . Had the burps and couldn't even stand up as the troopers conducted their investigation! Totally wiped me out . . . can't even put that feeling into words .. . . By far the most emotion I have ever felt at once!

No doubt that God was with me, as I brought my Ruger .454 Casull (and some "hot" 350 grain solids) just for the heck of it . . . And managed to draw and snap shoot (pointed, never even aimed!) from the hip! Total luck shot!

All I can say is Praise God for my safety and for choosing to leave the wife and kids at home on this walk!

[IMG]http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo276/reefera4m/AlaskaGrizzly3.jpg
[/IMG]
Old January 15, 2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Sriracha

Wow. Glad he's safe.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:37 PM   #3
semi_problomatic

I don't care what you say a 9mm wouldn't of been able to do that!! I guess that shows you make your own luck.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Scorch

Varmint hunting takes on a whole new meaning "a-way up north"!
Old January 16, 2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Carne Frio

Up here, sometimes your the predator and sometimes the prey.
And we love our guns !
Old January 16, 2010, 06:20 PM   #6
DRice.72

Makes ya want a .50 BMG to take for a walk!
Old January 17, 2010, 12:15 PM   #7
rem870hunter

that is one really big bear . glad the guy was not injured. just goes to show what carry can do.
Old January 17, 2010, 06:39 PM   #8
STEINER

Oh my God... How does man manage to react so fast to instinct. Flight or fight? I am so glad you are alive. Wow!! You had the correct weapon. That helps.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Brenten

old bear was huge. lean and 1000 lbs. that is a big bear.
Old February 8, 2010, 08:23 PM   #10
QuickBuick87

Wow! My brother told me about this, and just had to register to see it for myself. He has the same .454 as this gentleman, and I even fired it at the range. What a cannon!! Nice shot 'shooting from the hip'. Glad it all worked out for you in the end.

Ken
Old February 10, 2010, 10:11 AM   #11
jgcoastie

IIRC, this happened last spring...

Lucky shot(s) indeed.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old February 10, 2010, 12:44 PM   #12
GeauxTide

Been posted eleventeen times.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:45 PM   #13
LordofWar

Seriously. Im sick & tired of this same bear being brought up twice a month.
Old February 10, 2010, 08:02 PM   #14
Ole 5 hole group

+1 Lordofwar - what one should do is first figure out how much time this guy had to react to a full on charge from a brown. First off, he's closing on you at 42 feet per second. Does one think this guy can recognize the threat and draw his revolver in less than 1 second when just a nanosecond to turning his head and making eye contact with the bear he was happily walking down the street in white mode? A well trained pistolero in the orange mode – yes, he could but everything would have to fall in place to beat a second. The bear makes contact with you in less than 1.5 SECONDS. That's why most don't even have a chance to react from a charge at that range and tell their story of survival while getting stitched up at the local clinic. Anyone ever cut loose with a 454 Casull with full house loads from the hip? Ever done that twice? I think there's a lot more to this tale and the troopers gave this guy a pass. Now if the bear had made contact and he was able to do his thing after being knocked to the ground and chewed on a little - ya, I'd believe it.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:19 PM   #15
James R. Burke

Belive it or not, this is the first time I read/saw it kept passing it by. Things may get streched alittle like the fishing etc. But wow no matter what happened that had to be something.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:06 PM   #16
kaylorinhi

Draw and engage in les than 1.5 possible for a trained person with skill and the mindset, White cold not do it, but the twig snap send me to Orange in that Alaskan dirt road, the only thing that gets me is the dog's, no damage to either from the other 4-legs, I know my dogs would be to the bear faster than the bear to me?

I was not there and this is possible.

Either way would you engage this beast with a 2-3 inch barreled 454 if you didn't have too?
Old February 22, 2010, 08:40 PM   #17
waterfowler

That was a close call. That is why people should carry guns