The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 18, 2000, 05:05 PM   #1
ajacobs

I just purchased 2 ruger 3 screw blackhawks in 98% with stag grips. They are not converted. They have 4 and 5/8 in barrels and were made in 1958 (flattop). Oh and they are in .357. I was wondering if I got a fair deal at $900 for the pair. These are my first single actions and also my first purchases on my curio and relic ffl. I understand they have high desirability for speed shooters as they convert them to 45 lc and put aluminum barrels on them all though I have no dillusions of doing that.

Is is safe to shoot +p+ rounds in them?

can I tell from the serial number if they are of the redesigned frame or the old style frame?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I have always wanted a colt but can't afford one right now(or in reality I find something else I want to purchase before I can save the money for one).
Old April 19, 2000, 01:40 PM   #2
Paul B.

Ajacobs. Do the stag grips have the Ruger emblem inletted into them? If they are Ruger issue grips, they enhance the value of your revolvers greatly.
Paul B.
Old April 19, 2000, 01:51 PM   #3
ajacobs

Unfortunatly no they are aftermarket grips as they lack the medallion. I don't think they were a pair origalnally and someone prior to me assembled them into a pair and replaced the grips.
Old April 19, 2000, 07:12 PM   #4
Chris McDermott

My understanding is that all of the Flat-tops had the original (XR3) grip frame. Some of the very early Old Models (Three screw) have the XR3, while most Old Models have the XR3-RED (re-designed) grip frame. Then there is the Super-Blackhawk grip frame, and the Old Army grip frame, and the Ruger Bisley ...
Old April 20, 2000, 09:35 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Guns designed for .357 Magnum can easily handle 38 Special +p+. Blast away!