The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 16, 2005, 12:54 AM   #1
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Grip question.

Since I can't reach the controls on most full-size pistols without shifting my grip, and I don't favour shifting my pistol around in a sweaty grip during high-adrenaline moments, I started using my non-dominant thumb to hit the magazine release and slide release during combat shooting some time ago.

Anyone else out there doing this?

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old January 16, 2005, 01:23 AM   #2
38splfan

Slide release.

I use my dominant thumb for the mag but the slide release usually requires my weak hand.
I have found some manufacturers offering aftermarket slide release extensions or extended replacements, but the available models are few and far between.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Wynterbourne

I tried that for a little while, but I got lucky. I managed to find a full sized pistol, admittedly in 9mm, that I could reach all of the controls on. Now, admittedly it's a bit of a stretch for the magazine release, so I'm considering reversing it.

"You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language." - Clint Smith

9mm. Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, .45 ACP is still for people trying to compensate for -something-.
Old January 16, 2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I to have to shift my hand

With hi cap mags guns I also have to shift the gun in my hand to work some controls. But what choice do you have if your changing mags. One hand dumps the gun while the other goes for the new mag.
The sweaty hand is a problem but there is one thing on the market that I have heard rumblings about.
Competition shooters for years have taken the same material that skateboard users use to cover there boards. It's a sand paper like material that feels like you have glued your gun to your hand.
Some one and I haven’t been able to find out who is taking that material and cutting it to fit perfectly to many guns now on the market, Glocks and 1911’s are just a few.
I have held a comp gun with this material and was amazed with the feel and confidence in the grip that I had, the problem was that he had to cut his own and it was a real mess. Now that someone is making it precut for guns it might be a welcome addition.
But I am sorry I dont know who or where, and I am still looking.
Old January 16, 2005, 07:27 PM   #5
reildeal

I shoot with a S&W 457 compact .45. It's really more or less a medium sized pistol, but I still have to hit the slide release with my off hand. The mag realease is no prob with my dominant hand, but even on this pistol, It is much easier to use my off hand to release the slide. My dominant thumb will reach it, but it takes more effort to get the thing to disengage, and my off hand is right there anyways, so that when I do release the slide, I'm more or less in shooting form already.
Old January 16, 2005, 08:38 PM   #6
seb5

I guess I'm lucky. I've never had a problem hitting the controls and I have small paws. But I am left handed. Maybe it's not as bad as I always thought.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:32 PM   #7
Model520Fan

Mag release, no. Slide stop, yes - preference rather than necessity. Makes sense to me.
Old January 18, 2005, 01:43 AM   #8
Nnobby45

Oh boy

"Since I can't reach the controls on most full-size pistols without shifting my grip, and I don't favour shifting my pistol around in a sweaty grip during high-adrenaline moments, I started using my non-dominant......."

You aren't suppose to be reaching your mag release from your shooting grip---otherwise you'd be dropping your mag while you were shooting. Try using the fore and middle fingers of your weak hand to pull the trigger guard toward you, shifting the gun slightly in your hand. The weak hand keeps going for the spare mag, and when it grabs it, the strong hand thumb drops the mag, and your shooting grip is easily re-established by the time your fresh mag is inserted.
TRANSLATION: We all have to shift the gun in our hands and re-establish our grip when reloading. Unless one likes doubling his reloading time because he can't be going for his spare mag with his left hand--it's busy doing what the strong hand thumb should be doing.
QUESTION: what organized training, LE or Civilian (unless one were injured), ever taught reloading by using the weak hand mag release technique? None that I ever participated in.
Old January 18, 2005, 12:21 PM   #9
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
QUESTION: what organized training, LE or Civilian (unless one were injured), ever taught reloading by using the weak hand mag release technique? None that I ever participated in.
Me, either. This is something I found myself doing all on my lonesome.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old January 20, 2005, 12:00 PM   #10
Arc Angel

Quote:
I use my dominant thumb for the mag but the slide release usually requires my weak hand. I have found some manufacturers offering aftermarket slide release extensions or extended replacements, but the available models are few and far between.
If you're in law enforcement, you really shouldn't be using the slide stop to release the slide: Support hand over the top rear of the slide, palm down, pull back sharply and release.
Old January 20, 2005, 12:38 PM   #11
Marko Kloos

Regarding slingshotting versus slide release:

If you think your motor skills are going to be degraded to the point where you can't be relied on to find and actuate the slide release...why do you think you'll be able to find and actuate the magazine release button?

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 20, 2005, 12:46 PM   #12
Arc Angel

Perhaps, because it's a lot easier to push in on something rather than to have to swipe at it. 'Slingshoting' the slide is, also, not the same thing as the, 'palm over' method.
Old January 24, 2005, 04:38 PM   #13
Jeff Gonzales

Adaption

We each have to adjust to our own limitations and this in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. What works for some people may not work for others. I think what is best is to identify what works best for you given your conditions and then figure out what you not only gain, but loose.

There will always be something we give up to a degree.

For instance, if you decide to use your weak side to work the controls then how will you deal with the situation when you only have your strong available? Sure, it is easy to comment how you don't plan on having only your strong side available, but then again most of us don't plan on being in gunfights.

I would encourage you to consider avoiding using your weak side to work the controls. My hands are normal size and don't reach the slide stop or magazine release. I will use my weak hand to positively work the slide, that part is easy. For the magazine release I will grip the dust cover with my weak hand as I reacquire the grip to release the magazine. Once I have the magazine loaded I use the weak hand to grip the slide with my thumb pointing back at your chest. Once I have the weapon pinned with my weak hand, I regain my firing grip with the strong hand as I release the slide.

Like I said, it works for me when I am cold, wet and wearing gloves.

Later,
Old January 28, 2005, 06:21 PM   #14
cyf7tkwl

sinister problem

My hand is big enough to grip the G21, a pistol which many allege is too wide for their hands, so I can reach everything.

However, I shoot the pistol left-handed. Since the magazine release is on the left side, buried below the base of my trigger finger, there is no way I can reach it with my right hand. Mostly keeping my normal grip on the pistol, I can get my trigger finger on the magazine release.

The slide stop is also on the left side, but that's not a factor because I prefer to use the weak hand to fully retract and release the slide.
Old January 31, 2005, 09:35 PM   #15
Tazz10m

This is the way i do it:

I typically carry a G29 w/15rnd mag, A&G grip extender, and a modified Grams +4 extender on the end of all that. This gives me a lot to grab on to in a hurry, 20 rnds with one up the pipe, and it also works as a counter balance which pulls the gun all the way down into my hand. When i carry my G20, i also use the mag extenders, either a Grams, or a +2, and works basically the same. Everything is wrapped in AGrip (of course) which eliminates any sweaty hand problems, and the mag bases are also wrapped not just for grip control, but so they don't get torn off the bottom of the mags.

Ok, with all that out of the way, the advantage of the extended mag base wrapped with AGrip allows me the reliable ability to first grab the mag base and twist and pull it so that when i twist it the guns mag release button is pressed into my thumb, rather than my thumb pressing in the mag release. When the mag is pulled free i automatically (from practice) adjust the slight change in my grip back to where it's supposed to be, slap in the fresh mag (that's waiting between my fingers), "hit" the base of the mag into the gun with the heel of my hand and give it a little tug to make sure it's in good, (rack the slide if needed) then the gun goes back into action and i put the pulled mag into a pocket.

This is all quite fast as it basically boils down to "grab, slap, hit, tug, (rack slide if needed), boom boom boom..." The mag basically goes into a pocket "first chance i get". (No, i don't spit my mags out on the ground.) If my survival requires that i drop the mag... then i drop the mag... otherwise i hang on to it and it goes into a pocket first chance i get. Usually, that is right after i tug on the fresh mag in the gun and as the gun goes back into action. I use an extended Glock slide catch/release lever and if the slide is already back and i hit it, i hit it, if i don't, i grab the rear of the slide palm down, pull and release it and move the gun into action. I can rack the slide with the pulled mag in my hand. Weak hand (left hand) i grab the mag and twist so that the mag release presses into the side of my left trigger finger or middle finger. The rest is pretty much the same depending on "what i have to work with".

Brooks W. Speier
www.BrooksTactical.com
Manufacturer of Agrip™
Old January 31, 2005, 11:04 PM   #16
OBIWAN

I would echo Mr. Gonzales.

And really...if you stop using the slide release, we are only talking about the mag catch....

Gross motor...fine motor...what really scares me is that on some pistols you can't push that stupid lever hard enough to get the darn thing to drop.

Maybe if you let your thumbnails grow
Old February 1, 2005, 12:11 PM   #17
Tazz10m

Quote:
Gross motor...fine motor...what really scares me is that on some pistols you can't push that stupid lever hard enough to get the darn thing to drop.
...which is why i press the button into my finger rather than my finger into the button. The technique utilizes those fine gross motor movements.

In my experience i've found it's better to have a mag button that is a little harder to push. That way there is less chance of "bumping the button" by mistake and dropping the mag in a firefight. Some buttons on my guns i have purposely increased the mag button spring pressure.

Brooks W. Speier
www.BrooksTactical.com
Manufacturer of Agrip™