The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 21, 2013, 05:41 PM   #76
aarondhgraham

Quote:
Quote:
"I go where you did not want to go to do things you do not want to do."
No, I'll go anywhere you will go,,,
But the legislators in my state won't allow it.

I will happily defend me and mine in any situation you can imagine,,,
So why do you assume that I will not?

Quote:
It's this "We're better than the civvies" attitude that seems to be fueling the backlash in public sentiment that LEO's everywhere are getting lately...

You know nothing about me, yet you think you have been somewhere I have not...
Right on brother,,,
This is the attitude I dislike the most,,,
And it's what is making citizens question the actions of their police forces.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 25, 2013, 07:40 AM   #77
grizz223

Salmoneye

"I go where you did not want to go to do things you do not want to do."

It's this "We're better than the civvies" attitude that seems to be fueling the backlash in public sentiment that LEO's everywhere are getting lately...

You know nothing about me, yet you think you have been somewhere I have not...

I stated in my post that I don't know you or what you have done. But as I stated unless you have done my job seen what I have seen you don't know me either. Unless you have watched them take away a friend in a body bag you don't know what it's like. I put my life on the line everyday. Do you?

To all the rest I do not think I'm better than any of you as far as I'm concerned you are all my brothers even Salmoneye.

Outcast
did you miss the part where unless you live in the Northeast most departments would fire you even though you did what you were supposed to do. Once you are fired no more protection. So now I lost my job can be sued for whatever I have. Can you please explain how this is not just as bad if not worse than what would happen to you??? I have seen many good officers lose their job and go to jail for a split second decision that the vast majority of people never have to make.Yet we do it every day and if you are lucky you never get hemmed up in something that is out of your control

With this post I am done with this thread if you want to debate my job any more pm me as I don't want to take up space fighting about what Law enforcement officer should or should not do.
Old November 25, 2013, 09:46 AM   #78
OuTcAsT

grizz223 wrote:
Quote:
So now I lost my job can be sued for whatever I have. Can you please explain how this is not just as bad if not worse than what would happen to you?
It's really quite simple, if you use your weapon to defend yourself, or someone else, and make a mistake, you certainly stand the chance of being disciplined up to, or including termination of your employment. Would you be arrested ? Likely not. Would you be charged with a crime ? Likely not. Would you begin to drain your bank account immediately by having to retain an attorney ? No.

If I use a weapon to defend myself, or someone else, I have ( in the eyes of the Law ) committed a crime.

I will have to immediately : Hire an attorney, possibly appear in court, before a jury to prove my case was justified, and risk prison time. Even if I am justified, the financial drain will be enormous, if not complete financial ruin. Oh, and I would most likely be fired as well ( most employers will not like the time off you will need to handle your legal matters )

The only difference would be the civil aspect.

Your assertion was:

Quote:
Now having said all that if you think that we as law enforcement officers are not held to a higher standard you are very wrong.
I merely pointed out that you were incorrect, no "higher standard" exists. You have gone out of your way to prove my case for me, and I appreciate it.

Quote:
I don't want to take up space fighting about what Law enforcement officer should or should not do.
No fighting here, you have a job to do, and it has risks just like many others, I simply do not like to see someone claim a disparity where none exists.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old November 25, 2013, 01:51 PM   #79
saltydog452

Catch 22

I didn't read the previous 4 pages of comments before typing this response to the original post. So, with that in mind...

I THINK that I'd be motivated enough to try and settle if the badges would receive more training. That'd require a Law firm and negotations.

The problem with that line of thought is that law firms need a large slice of the expected monetary pie to stay in the trade. If sucessful, the city would take a monetary hit and they'd be less $ available to pay for municipal expenses.

'Catch 22'.

Now I'm going to go back and read the prior comments.

salty
Old November 27, 2013, 10:33 AM   #80
NJgunowner

Actually most cities carry insurance that pays out against lawsuits.
Old November 27, 2013, 11:54 AM   #81
Sharkbite

Insurance????

Somewhere in the mix above, somebody comments about letting their Ins co settle whetever claims are made in the wake of their defensive shooting.

My question is WHAT type of ins does everybody carry that would protect you after having to use your CCW'd handgun. Lets assume a justified use of force. I.e. Badguy needed to be shot and you are legal in ALL respects.

Bystander is injured and sues you. What are your protection options??