The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 20, 2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Fygg Nuuton

Nevada Law (Carry)

Quick question. I purchased some hollow points over the counter, obviously, and was told it was not legal to have them outside my home (which was weird, since I bought them outside my home).

I know I can legally put them inside intruders into my home and such, otherwise there really isn't much of a point to paying the extra money. The question I have is, can I keep them loaded for defense OUTSIDE of my home, i.e. in my vehicle of choice or on my person, for either open carry or concealed carry?
Old March 20, 2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

I have no idea on your question, but start by looking at www.handgunlaw.us. Pretty good site that might point you in the right direction if no one here has the answer.
Old March 20, 2010, 12:17 PM   #3
maestro pistolero

Completely false. NJ is the only state I am aware of that has any special restriction for hollow points. I believe the NJ law does say something about them being restricted to home defense use.

In Nevada, not only may you carry loaded with hollow points, but you may do so in an open holster without a permit, OR, they WILL issue you a permit if you take the course, apply, and pass the background check. No just cause need be demonstrated beyond having a wish to the means of self-defense.

You may also have the gun loaded and unlocked, anywhere in your car, but NOT on your person, without a permit.

Hollow points are recommended for self defense, as they tend not to over-penetrate like FMJ rounds, thus unnecessarily endangering bystanders or neighbors.
Old March 20, 2010, 05:08 PM   #4
WoofersInc

Man the garbage that is being told to people here in Nevada lately is amazing.

There is no statutes or laws regarding what type of ammo that you can have in your gun, in Nevada. Whoever told you this does not know Nevada law.

This wasn't by chance in the same store that told the guy in the other post that "only hollowpoints" were allowed for carry.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=400180
Old March 21, 2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Fygg Nuuton

I don't know if it was or not. They stressed just to keep them at home, but when I bought them I did state that I wasn't currently carrying my weapon, they may have thought it was just for home defense. Next time I go I'll ask again in passing to see if they know what they are talking about, and I'll try and remember to post what goes down here.

Thanks everyone!
Old March 21, 2010, 07:04 AM   #6
roy reali

re:Fygg Nuuton

I am going on four years here. There are gun laws and restrictions here. But they are few and far between. Ammo restrictions are not included as far as I know. A local friend has a gun room that looks like the one from Tremors. If there were any sort of ammo restrictions here, he would be behind bars. He isn't and there aren't any.
Old March 21, 2010, 08:57 AM   #7
kraigwy

A tad bit off topic, but still within Nevada's CC laws.

I'm not sure if its still true, I dont live in Neveda but you had to qualify for CC with each pistol you deside to carry.

My shooting partner (and my NCOIC when I was OIC of the Alaska NG Marksmanship Unit) retired about the same time I did, I retired in Wyoming and he in Nevada. He was also quite the pistol shooter. He shot for several years on the All Guard International and Conventional Pistol Teams.

Anyway like a lot of people he has several pistols he carries depending on the mood, so had to qualify with each. Problem is, they had trouble counting his hits. At first they said he didnt qualify because they counldn't find all his hits in the one ragged whole. Finely they came up with a target backer (not sure what its called). The deal is, its a roll of paper used by Bench Rest shooters that moves behind the target as one shoots, to make sure the BR shooter fired all the rounds required for the group.

They found out he had been shooting all the requred rounds.

Don't sell out target shooters when it comes to "tactical" shooting. Especially one who shootes International Rapid Fire. When you have to shoot 5 targets in 3 seconds, you have to be fast and accurage.

Sorry to butt in.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 21, 2010, 09:31 AM   #8
maestro pistolero

Quote:
I'm not sure if its still true, I dont live in Neveda but you had to qualify for CC with each pistol you deside to carry.
Still true, except for revolvers. Once you qualify with a revolver, any revolver is authorized
Old March 21, 2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
...I'm not sure if its still true, I dont live in Neveda but you had to qualify for CC with each pistol you deside to carry....
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro pistolero
Still true, except for revolvers. Once you qualify with a revolver, any revolver is authorized
Maestro is correct. When I took my Nevada CCW class last July, some nut held up everyone at the range during qualification because he wanted to qualify with something like 10 pistols.

And yes, that nut was me. And everyone was really very nice about it.

And BTW, that guy who told the OP that hollow points were illegal in Nevada outside the home was standing in the hot sun too long. The guys who taught my CCW class were two Washoe County Sheriff deputies, and they recommended JHP ammunition for carry purposes.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; March 23, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old March 21, 2010, 01:57 PM   #10
WoofersInc

Quote:
When I took my Nevada CCW class last July, some nut held up everyone at the range during qualification because he wanted to qualify with something like 10 pistols.
They made me wait till everyone else was done. I had 12 to qualify with on my renewal. I had reduced it down from the 20 I had on my origional permit.
Old March 21, 2010, 02:36 PM   #11
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoofersInc
...They made me wait till everyone else was done. I had 12 to qualify with on my renewal. I had reduced it down from the 20 I had on my origional permit..
It actually wasn't too bad for me. I'm a fairly seasoned shooter, so by the time everyone else was done, they were able to run me pretty quickly through the guns I had left to qualify with.
Old March 22, 2010, 12:21 AM   #12
Fygg Nuuton

I'm glad to hear that I can carry HP in my weapon. I didn't feel comfy-cozy with FMJ 9mm loaded up in public.
Old March 22, 2010, 06:19 AM   #13
roy reali

re:Fygg Nuuton

Are you new to Nevada by any chance?
Old March 22, 2010, 11:56 PM   #14
Fygg Nuuton

No, I've been here since '94, but I just purchased my first firearm last year. I figured they knew more than I did, but my common sense tingled.
Old March 23, 2010, 12:20 AM   #15
maestro pistolero

Quote:
but I just purchased my first firearm last year.
Congratulations. I love to hear about new shooters. I live in Las Vegas. If you'd like to meet up at a range someday, PM me.