The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 8, 2007, 08:22 AM   #1
9mm1033

Qualifier stage???

I started USPSA recently and what exactly is a "qualifier" stage?
Old June 8, 2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Qualifier is a misnomer, that is what cops do.
Most matches will have at least one classifier stage for which the scores are sent in to USPSA. When you have accumulated enough - they now go by the best four out of the latest six shot - you will get a classification card, Grand Master, Master, A, B, C, or D based on your scores versus the best on record. Then you can get prizes at major matches based on your placement within your class (ability) and division (gun.)
Old June 8, 2007, 09:47 AM   #3
9mm1033

Ah, now I understand. I've heard it called by both names. Thanks
Old June 8, 2007, 12:46 PM   #4
RickB

I believe you can get your initial classification with six scores on record, but your ongoing classification will be your best six of your most recent eight. They find all sorts of ways to disqualify scores, both because they are "too high" or "too low", so your classification can lag behind your actual ability. It does serve to sort of flatten the peaks and valleys, but the ultimate result is that it is almost impossible for your classification to go down. I shoot a classifier almost every weekend, three or four of my best scores are almost two years old, and my classification percentage has never been higher.
Old June 9, 2007, 06:57 AM   #5
Jeff22

USPSA classifiers

go to www.uspsa.org.

on the tool bar on the left hand side, click on "additional content" and then when you get that menu, go to "classifier stage diagrams".

All the current USPSA classifiers can be found there.

I REALLY like classifier matches myself (both the IPSC classifier matches and the IDPA classifier match) as tests of basic skills.