The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1
BRJACKET

Sig P226Mk25 vs. HK P30L

I have been wanting a Sig P226MK25 for some time. I currently have a HK P30 and a HK P30L. Both have had trigger work to install the SRT. They both shoot great. I have found that I shoot them about equally so I could part with one. I like the looks of the P30 better (personal preference). I can't justify getting the Sig without selling one of the HK's. With the trigger work (and the fact that I bought the P30L at my LGS and paid a bit more than I would have online) I have about $1,000.00 in the P30L. I know I can't get that used but I could get most of what I need to fund the Sig (I found one for $975.00 unless it sells fast).

Other than the "I wants" should I sell the HK and get the Sig? What would you do. I don't know if I am trying to talk my way into doing it or out of doing it. Thaks.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Rj1972

Both are great guns. I found the HK to be a little more muzzle rise for me, so I went with the Sig. Can't really go wrong there, and since you have 2 already (similar), I'm hard pressed to make an argument against it.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

I'd definitely go with the SIG....That's my most tried and true gun in my safe.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:17 PM   #4
TunnelRat

I prefer HKs over SIGs. That said you already have two P30s essentially. The P226, IMO, is a better range gun than the P30. So I would make that trade.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 23, 2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

My 226 for example. Is easy to engage the magazine release at 4:00. So does my SIG 1911.

My Hk and when I had the PPQ. Wasn't. Cause of where the mag release is.

Anyways, why is it only a range gun to you? Elaboration

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”

Last edited by Art Eatman; January 24, 2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Trivia deleted.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:48 PM   #6
ScotchMan

If you have two P30s, I would feel good about trading one for the Sig. If you think you would regret it at any point later, don't.

I'm curious how you have a SRT in an HK pistol. And if so, how comparable the HK is to a Sig. Sigs traditionally have much better triggers than HKs. I shot a P229 (normal) against a P30 and, while I preferred the P30 due to overall ergonomics, have to admit the Sig trigger is nicer.

I also prefer the decocker location on the Sig to the P30. If it were an HK45 with the lever, it wouldn't matter as much, but the Sig's decocker is nice.

If it were one or the other, I'd go HK. But if its one of each or two HKs, I'd go with one of each

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old January 24, 2013, 12:53 AM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Anyways! OP...honestly, if you have 2 of them and it'll be easier to sell one to fund the SIG purchase? I'd say do it. Sometimes that's just the way you have to do it.

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”

Last edited by Art Eatman; January 24, 2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: More noise, deleted.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:10 AM   #8
thedudeabides

Get the Sig, the P30 has a long weird plastic trigger pull.

I have both, and wouldn't get the P30L again.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:58 AM   #9
BRJACKET

I've been slow to respond. My computer went down. A couple of answers. The P30 can have a SRT installed. There are several people who do this. Gray Guns is pretty big. Mine was done by Bill Springfield. He does great work and is pretty fast and reasonable. With the SRT the trigger it is pretty similar to the Sig SRT. I just find that since they shoot similar to me I end up using the P30 and the P30L stays at home. Still, it is a great gun. Since they are mostly duplicates (IMO) I think I could part with one. Also, I keep wanting the Sig. Although there are plenty of Sig P226's to pick from I keep coming back to the MK25.

Unfortunately, the one I saw for sale was sold while I was typing the original post. I am not going to pay the rediculus price that some people are trying to charge. It seems that the honest people are still selling it for between $950.00 and $1,050.00. I will keep watching for that. Ideally, I could find someone who would be willing to trade although that particular model doesn't seem to be re-sold much. I will keep looking.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Honestly, if I were you...I'd sell the P30L first and then buy the SIG. Or find the SIG you want locally or order it from a local shop and put the P30L as payment towards it.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:39 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
Unfortunately, the one I saw for sale was sold while I was typing the original post. I am not going to pay the rediculus price that some people are trying to charge. It seems that the honest people are still selling it for between $950.00 and $1,050.00. I will keep watching for that. Ideally, I could find someone who would be willing to trade although that particular model doesn't seem to be re-sold much. I will keep looking.
I'm not sure you'll find someone willing to do a straight up trade, the SIG is prob worth more. When I traded in my P30 at my LGS I got $675 or something for it? That might give you an idea of what you could get. Best bet is to find a store that does trades, or maybe even consignment, and see if they can order one for you. Probably right now is almost nothing is in stock, so you'll likely be waiting a bit.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:43 AM   #12
BRJACKET

I agree that I wouldn't get a straight up trade. I don't mind adding cash to the trade. The thing is, even before the hysteria began, I didn't see used MK25's for sale. I most likely will need to sell the P30L. I doubt I can get much from a gun shop as trade.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:48 AM   #13
TunnelRat

Like I said, I got $675. Honestly I don't think the blue book for a used one is above say $750, and that would be what the store would sell it for. One option would be hop over to the HKpro forums, make an account, and post it in their sale subforum. Probably would get some takers.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:21 PM   #14
BRJACKET

Yes. I will post it on HKPro. I am a member there but I knew if I posted this over there first they would be pro the p30L and anti Sig. I thought I would get opinions here first.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:11 PM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
The P226, IMO, is a better range gun than the P30.
Tunnel Rat, if it makes you feel better, I agree with you opinion here! The SIG has a much better trigger feel, making it a better (i.e. more fun) range pistol.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:26 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't give awards for "Snark Of The Day" but I imagine I can think of something more useful to the website.

Too many of these handgun threads seem to include posts by folks who were seriously shorted on grow-up pills when they were kids.

Courtesy. Politeness. All that grown-up stuff.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
+1k ammo

Quote:
I have been wanting a Sig P226MK25 for some time
The one I have on my list is getting closer to the top.

So, the MK25 has chrome lined barrel, extra tough finish, beefier rail...but,

Sig Sauer P226 MK25 SEALS, 9mm, Nitron, Night Sights, DA/SA

Does it not have the SRT trigger? I know this can be added, but just like to know because I do want it on my future gun. I am also going to add the g-10 grips, so I guess I could just get the Extreme, which has the g-10 grips and srt, but also has front cocking serrations and would not have the extra tough finish.
They should just list options like buying a car and you just pick what you want and they build it.

Anyway, at Topgun they are around 1k, but I thought a while back they were a few hundred less?