The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 05:42 PM   #1
915A

Already looking for another, advice?

So the wife is hooked, and that is a huge bonus for me as well. So here is what we are thinking;

Mrs:
She is requesting something even smaller than the SR9c for CCW. Now the SR9c is very concealable for me. But she is thinking less bulky, mainly for the purse. So I am not going to complain. So what should I being looking at? Shield, XDs, Nano, LC9/P, etc...

Me:
I am thinking FS 9, 40, or 45. As much as I like the SR9c, the FS 9/40 or 40c is very very appealing. I am open for all suggestions. In my original search, the FNH-FNX and FNS , the M&P line, XD/XDm line were all nice. Suggestions?
Old October 6, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2
jmhyer

I think for the wife, the XDs, Shield, or the PPS9 would be perfection.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:21 PM   #3
RBid

Most subcompacts have double action only (DAO) triggers, with long and relatively heavy pulls. The Nano, PF-9, CM9/PM9, LC9, LCP, and P3AT all fall into this category. These extremely small and light pistols tend to be snappy, and difficult to shoot with. Exceptions are the Shield and the Walther PPS. The Shield has a shorter pull than most subs, and the DAO of the PPS is said to be smoother than many competitors.

My girlfriend hated my PF-9 and LC9. She surprised me, and decided that she wants a Ruger LCR .38 spl. A serious consideration is how your lady will feel about her pistol. If she loves it, she will want to practice more, and will become more proficient. As long as the weapon she falls in love with is reliable, I suggest going with that.

As for you...

You refer to the FNS too frequently to buy anything else! It's a solid choice, and you obviously want one!
Old October 6, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
915A

Jm- will look at them for sure

RBid- Solid advice, and the FNS is nice, but not set on it. I am really open to anything. Heck the FS SR line is very appealing, and if it is no different than the compact I may just go with it. They have the same trigger as the SRc . But you are right, something about the FNS just appeals to me. I may give the FNX for the DA/SA a look too.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:37 PM   #5
pilpens

My GF has small hands. Best fit for her is a kahr.
So, we got a kahr K9 (NYPD trade-in) but her trigger finger gets beat up during recoil. Changing it to the elite trigger to see if it helps.
If Kahr does not work out, M&P shield would be next to try.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
sgms

Find a place that rents, let her shoot what she likes the looks of. Smaller and lighter are harder to use well and tend to have more recoil, after she uses a few she may find the one she wants or decide a bit bigger is better for her.
Old October 8, 2012, 03:58 PM   #7
FYN409

I just purchased a PPS for the "smaller than SR9c" category. I love it so far. It is available in 9 and .40.

-Ryan
Old October 8, 2012, 09:53 PM   #8
915A

So I shot a pocket .380 this weekend, HORRIBLE! It was a Kel Tec, and the trigger was a nightmare. So I think the Shield and PPS, with very good trigger feedback is what I am going to try to look at for the Mrs.

I also shot some 1911 .45s, and XD .40, a .357 long barrel, and some .22s. I had no issues with control so not sure what to look at next. I love the SR9c, so my just stick with Ruger and try the FS .40 or . 40c. So many choices it will make your head spin lol.