The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old February 9, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
BPowderkeg

Too Old To Fight, Shoot First

after reading and re-reading the March issue of SWAT i noticed the training and self defense articles are geared towards the younger folk, just wondering if maybe there could be a future issue with an article or two, for us older folks who have limited physical abilities, after 74 years of accumulated injuries and a neck surgery that left me with about 30% permanent nerve damage, i have come to the conclusion that i can not physically defend myself or loved ones from an attack from a/some younger, stronger attackers, therefore i WILL shoot first when an attacker gets within my comfort zone, i will rely on 12 on a jury rather than carried by 6
BPowderkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Scout

As I get older I sometimes think about this issue. I'm 48 now and still willing to mix it up if required, but I can see the writing on the wall.
Old February 9, 2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Double J

Too old to trot. Too proud to run. Too sick to care. I'd have to shoot.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4
kraigwy

I too would like to see articles for us old decrypted folks.

I'm only 64, but I have a bad ticker (several stints & balloons) and COPD.

I ain't gonna last long in a fisticuffs with some youngster.

There is the eggshell doctrine but I think this needs addressed.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
kraigwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2012, 07:45 PM   #5
JimPage

I'm in the same boat. Not sure more training will help, but it won't hurt if I can get some bendable parts of mine to bend
JimPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2012, 11:03 PM   #6
RamItOne

first thing that came to mind after reading the OP was this

I'm sure this is old news to yall tho...

Last week police were called to investigate and attempted armed robbery in South Florida.

The 71 year old retired Marine who opened fire on two robbers at a Plantation, FL. Subway shop late Wednesday, killing one and critically wounding the other, is described as John Lovell a former helicopter pilot for two presidents. He doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke and he works out everyday. Mr. Lovell was a man of action Wednesday night.

According to Plantation police, two masked gunmen came into a small restaurant at 1949 N. Pine Rd. just after 11 P.M. There was a lone diner, Mr. Lovell, who was finishing his meal. After robbing the cashier, the two men attempted to shove Mr. Lovell into a bathroom and rob him as well. They got his money, but then Mr. Lovell pulled his handgun and opened fire. He shot one of the thieves in the head and chest and the other in the head.

When police arrived, they found one of the men in the shop, K-9 units found the other in the bushes of a nearby business. They also found cash strewn around the front of the sandwich shop according to Detective Robert Rettig of the Plantation Police Department.

Both men were taken to the Broward General Medical Center, where one, Donicio Arrindell, 22 of North Lauderdale died. The, 21 year old Frederick Godson of Fort Lauderdale is in critical but stable condition.

A longtime friend of Lovell was not suprised to hear what happened. The friend said. "He'd give you the shirt off his back, but he'd be mad as hell if someone tried to take the shirt off you back."

Mr. Lovell was a pilot in the Marine Corps, flying former Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson. He later worked as a pilot for Pan Am and Delta.

He is not expected to be charged authorities said. "He was in fear for his life." Detective Rettig said, "These criminals ought to realize that most men in their 70's have military backgrounds and aren't intimidated by idiots."

Something tells me this old Marine wasn't in fear for his life, even though his life was definitely at risk. The only thing he could be charged with is participating in an unfair fight. One 71 year young Marine against two punks. Two head shots and one center body mass shot - outstanding shooting! That'll teach them not to get between a Marine and his meal.
RamItOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

We'll put our heads together and see what we can come with.

Ramit-
Thanks for sharing that.
Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2012, 09:45 PM   #8
Fatboy72

I'm only getting ready to hit the big four o this year and weigh in at 250 plus most days, can run, but don't like to, can fight but don't like to, and could be a criminal, but I'm not. I applaud that mans/heros actions and stories like this spreading across the country and worldwide web will hopefully make some other would be punks change their minds and maybe save someone else's life or livelihood.
Fatboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2012, 08:46 PM   #9
MTT TL

Well hopefully it won't come to that. So if you are investigated the police won't ask you to explain your post.
Old February 14, 2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Rich Lucibella
Staff

MTT-TL-
To my understanding, disparity of force is a valid defense. The septuagenarian is not expected to grant as much room, leeway or ground to the predator as the 25 year old martial artist.

By way of example, an opponent on the opposite side of a parked vehicle, brandishing his belt, is probably not sufficient threat for you OR that 74 year old to let lead fly. But once he begins advancing around the vehicle, you'll probably find yourself held to a higher standard than Powderkeg.

And that is.....
as it should be!
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Overhill

I am 81 and would not be able to put up much of a physical fight but i can still shoot. I also would like to know what legal options we have when something goes down.
Overhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012, 08:10 PM   #12
psyfly

Great idea! I'm looking forward to it. Two and a half years ago, about 6 months after my 3-way bypass surgery, a couple of friends and I took a 13-week Krav Maga course.

I thought it would give me (us) some options instead of firearms.

However, we quickly learned that the purpose of carrying a gun is to make sure the BG doesn't get close enough for us to have to use the Krav Maga training.

It was an empowering experience but it won't help much in a potential shooting situation.

Best,

Will
Old February 16, 2012, 07:43 AM   #13
Don P

At the age of 59 now and as many have stated the years have not been kind with regards to health issues I too would not far well in a physical match up. That is one of the reasons I CCW always.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Don P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012, 10:05 AM   #14
BPowderkeg

keep the replies coming folks, Denny said:
Quote:
We'll put our heads together and see what we can come with.
after talking to some folks, i have come to the conclusion that a person not need to be old to need self defense skills, one fellow in his late 30's has had so many health issues that a good hearty slap on the back could kill him.
BPowderkeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012, 10:11 AM   #15
JimPage

Age and disability is immaterial. As a short man, I don't stand a chance against a six foot hoodlum. He would out weigh me and be ten inches taller than me. Like Sam Colt says, I need an equalizer.

PS. I am old now, but I have always been small.
JimPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012, 02:11 PM   #16
Kap

I'll be 60 in a month. 5'-7" 165lbs. Not real good at fighting but can still push and shove. Hurts for month's afterwards and have to take advil several times a day. Don't want to hurt you or be hurt defending my space or my family . I never start an incursion but I can't run away like the wind anymore. If you come at me my 1911 45 will discuss your aggressiveness. It's bark says go way in any language. If you see my barrel it will be aiming at center mass and going off. The courts will try & give you a FAIR hearing an attacker will not.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012, 08:52 PM   #17
vostracker

Poor health

Kap-Amen to that brother!!!!
vostracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012, 04:57 PM   #18
tnhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhill View Post
I am 81 and would not be able to put up much of a physical fight but i can still shoot. I also would like to know what legal options we have when something goes down.
I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.
tnhawk is offline   Reply With Quote