The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 13, 2001, 12:36 PM   #1
ERRainman

I located an Essex 16 ga Sxs in a local shop and am interested in determining its worth. The serial # is 239xxx IIRC. There is the typical wear on the metal but it locks up tight and there is no pitting or excessive wear noticeable. The wood has seen better days, but it's not cracked or split anywhere. The forearm is very thin, and the gun handles well. He's asking a pittance for it -$250 - and since I know very little about these guns I could use some input.

Thanks,

ERRainman
Old March 13, 2001, 02:28 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You might want to ask this on Harley's Forum,there's a couple SXS experts there.

I believe the Essex was an inexpensive double, made at the end of the 1800s. Even in great condition, it's not a valuable piece. If it's not Damascus or twist steel bbled, it may be safe to shoot with light lead loads, but I wouldn't put a round through ANY old shotgun w/o a good smith looking it over first.

If the smith OKs it, tho, you probably have a nice old piece suitable for a little light shooting and admiring.

Good luck...
Closed Thread