The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 9, 1999, 06:52 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I was on a range this afternoon and had a chance to observe, teach, and get some shots in myself.
Some of the shooters there were quite familiar with the guns in use... Some veteran shooters even. Most knew what they where doing.
But all of them were shooting poorly. I dont care if your shooting a HI POINT or a HI POWER... I dont care if your sights are Millet - Novak - iron - red dot... I dont care if your gun is Custom, Ultra, Magnum, Compact, Super, etc. The BASICS are the same.
Let me filter the basics down to some key elements. Next time you get to the range - remember these:
1. The Gun is ALWAYS LOADED.
2. NEVER point the gun at anything your not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger OFF THE TRIGGER untill your ready to fire.
4. KNOW YOUR TARGET and whats beyond it.

Okay - now that your all set - up on the line - Gun in hand and eyes and ears on:

1. Sight Picture. Seriously... For each shot. If your on the 7 yard line and your patterning your shots around the target - Your not concentrating on the sights.
You need to line up the sight center mass of your target. And as you do every thing else - keep the sights on target... and on the same spot on the target. You dont just aim at the Target - aim at the X in the dead center of the target. EACH SHOT.
2. Grip. Stand how ever you like Isreali style, Weaver, Amish how ever you do it - you still have to grip the weapon in your hand. Pistol or rifle... Get a good firm grip. Firm but dont be squeezing it till you shake. Keep that grip consistant. CONSISTANT and FIRM. This was a problem - I watched many guys on the line shifting his grip every other shot. Why? If your shooting a gun thats got too much recoil - try a shooting glove or get a lighter caliber gun. You cant shoot well unless you can get a good grip and keep it.
3. Breath. Breath control isnt just for snipers. Breath deep... let it out... hold it... squeeze the trigger. You should condition your shooting to do this naturally as you shoot.
4. Trigger. Dry fire practice will help here. Your trigger doesnt have to be smooth - but you have to be smooth with your trigger. CONSISTANT is the keep word here. Even if your bad on the trigger - if you are consistant in the way you do it - that will help. With a Pistol - You have to be even more careful here. THE SAME WAY EVERY TIME.

Practice = Hits.
Enough of my Rant now... I'll add more when I feel like it.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

Old December 9, 1999, 11:11 AM   #2
BigG

You get a gold star for that, George!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Old December 9, 1999, 12:23 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Had a night at the range last night myself.

Nothing like a 20 inch shot group at 7 yards to convince me that most folks can't shoot.

The heck of it was that the guy was happy with his group. !!!!!!!!

Giz
Old December 9, 1999, 12:36 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

George, please explain the Amish stance. Is it any different from the Quaker?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 9, 1999, 05:14 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Durn Gary, you know if you don't have the knowledge, you can contact one of us via email.

Can't believe one of us moderators isn't familier with the "Combat Tactical Amish" classes being conducted by former Israeli/PLO/Marine Recon/Special Forces members. (heck, I think a few of them post here)

The mover is the hard part. "clop, clop, clop, clop, Bang!, clop, clop, clop, clop, Bang!.................

Tough on the horses too......

Giz
Old December 10, 1999, 06:41 AM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

The Amish tactical style - I don't remember it all that clearly - but I think I remember seeing the guy throw his beard over his non firing shoulder to keep it away from the flash pan....

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.