The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2014, 10:17 PM   #1
kuca_2004

weatherby 22-250 bolt problem

I took my gun out and was going to do some shooting. Got to the range and put 5 rounds in the gun and cycled the bolt to load the gun. the bullet slides in but when I go to push the bolt down it won't go down. It probably could go down with some force but I don't want to try it.

Why can't I get the bolt to go down all the way? Some of the rounds cycle thru the gun but than some don't.

I do reload my ammo. Ive reloaded quite a bit of ammo and never had this happen in this gun before. I took my caliper and measured different lengths of the round and don't see a big difference between rounds anywhere.

can somebody tell me whats wrong?
Old January 13, 2014, 10:29 PM   #2
shooterbob

Check and see if your bumping the shoulder enough. And also do you full length resize? If so check the depth setting and make sure that your set deep enough that you are resizing all the way down. I've seen some 270 rounds that weren't resized to the correct depth and were sticking in the the chamber. Just a possibility.

Last edited by shooterbob; January 14, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old January 13, 2014, 10:38 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Make sure there is no crud in the chamber, on the bolt face, or in the locking lug seats.

Jim
Old January 14, 2014, 10:03 AM   #4
AllenJ

If the gun is clean I would suspect that you have not bumped the case shoulder back enough during the resizing process. Did you full length size the cases, or partial or neck size them? Also, how many times has the brass been fired and do you anneal your brass?
Old January 14, 2014, 10:18 AM   #5
A_Gamehog

Many variables here,
1). Do you full length size or neck size?
2). Did you only neck size and got some brass fired an another rifle?
3). Is the overall length within specs? reloading manual=COL?

I had 3 Weatherbys and it's my experience they have a long throat. Sounds like your sizing die is not setup right. Do you screw the die down to make contact with the shellholder then 1/8 turn more?. It should cam-over to bump the shoulder.

Just trying to help.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If some of them chamber and some don't and they're all the same OAL, the almost certain culprit is the shoulder length. The solution for these already loaded rounds would be a Redding body die that can be used on loaded ammo to "bump" the shoulder back a couple thousandths.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:05 PM   #7
kuca_2004

I bought the Hornady die set which comes with the Full Length Sizer die and the seater die.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You can't resize those rounds with an ordinary full-length die. You need something that doesn't touch the neck and only sizes the body and shoulder. That would be a Redding body die.

Otherwise, you need a bullet puller of some sort and .22-250 rounds are not fun to disassemble with a kinetic puller, the bullets are too light.

You can also simply see how much effort it takes to close the bolt. If it goes down with effort but not "force", you can go right ahead and fire them. It's not going to hurt anything if they're otherwise safe rounds.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:43 PM   #9
kuca_2004

my reply with the full length sizing die was to answer all the questions above you Brian.

I will look into the Redding Body Die though.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:47 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Ah. I see.

For your current set up, you need to measure the shoulder of your fired brass and make sure your FL die is set to bump the shoulder back 1-2 thousandths.

I would personally recommend getting the Redding body die and a Lee collet neck die and using them together. The results would be excellent.
Old January 14, 2014, 03:24 PM   #11
AllenJ

You might also think about getting a tool to measure from the head of the case to the datum point of the shoulder. I use RCBS Precision Mic's and like them. There are other tools that do the same task also. These tools allow you to adjust your sizing die so that it is bumping the shoulder the correct amount for your rifle, but not so much as to allow for unnecessary case stretching. In these times, with brass so hard to find, I feel the investment is worth it to get some extra case life.
Old January 16, 2014, 06:49 AM   #12
ligonierbill

For kuca, you didn't say whether or not you crimped these rounds. If not, I have nothing to add. If yes, it's not hard to push a little too far and create a problem. I've done it.