The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Eazmo

.223 62gr plus w/cannelure help

I have been trying to find a 62gr to 69gr bullet to load for a 1 in 7 twist auto loading rifle and having a hard time so looking for input on a few questions

1. from what i have read this fast twist rate needs the heavier bullets?

2. for use in a semi-auto it should have a cannelure for crimping?

3. Am i on the right track here?

4.Were do i get a bullet with the above specs?

Thanks again
Old May 24, 2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Jim Watson

1. Better to say the 7 twist can handle heavier bullets. It will shoot lighter ones ok.

2. I have not had any trouble with uncrimped bullets in AR and Mini. I would want cannelure and crimp for full auto or if I were banging out a lot in fast semi for whatever reason.

3. See above.

4. Midway has Armscor 62 gr FMJ and Sierra 77 gr Match King with cannelures. And lots of 55 gr bullets with cannelure a la M193.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Eazmo

thanks. OK so please elaborate on loading a non-cannelure? do you use a special crimp die or ?
was going to order these dies ?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=434975
Old May 24, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

That die set should work. If there is no cannelure I do not apply a crimp. Neck tension is enough. Also, if you use an extruded powder like Varget, H4895, etc, then you will be loading compressed, or very near compressed, charges and that gives a little more support to the bullet from behind to prevent setback.

I've never had a problem with bullet set back shooting in an AR15 with non-cannelure bullets (55 gr - 75 gr). But don't be cycling the same bullet through many times either (like repeatedly loading and unloading the same cartridge from the top of the magazine).

When trying something new I always load dummy rounds until I'm satisfied and all the dies are set. Load a round and see how hard it is to push the bullet into the case. Then I need a collet bullet puller (I have Hornady one) to remove those little bullets from the dummy case (no primer or powder).
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 25, 2011, 03:19 PM   #5
jb683

SS109 62grain

These bullets have the canalure your looking for and will shoot just fine in a 1 & 7 twist. Widners had them for about $55 per 500. I use about 25.5 grains of 335 and a Lee factory crimp die. We have had some issues with rounds not crimped, they tend to push back into the case if the action malfuntions. But when crimped it makes a very accurate round.