The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 23, 2011, 02:51 PM   #76
Sarge

Quote:
The point of aim is the same as usual. It's the sight alignment that changes. The front sight is still on the target but it is no longer flush with the top of the rear sight. The pic below is blurry because of the focus being on the closer object (and I'm not a photographer) but it shows about what my sight alignment is. This equates to about a 55' holdover.
We used to hammer away at a 4x4 oak pallet, covered occasionally with fresh cardboard, at what GoogleEarth says is 680 yards, with various 44 and 45 revolvers. If we were feeling really frisky, we'd shoot at a white plastic 5 gallon bucket set off to one side of the pallet. With a 4" Model 29 or .45 Colt Blackhawks most of the front sight, held above the notch, would get us there.

One day I dug my old Ithaca 1911 out and fired a few of my meandering 230 RNL reloads, to range the target. Finally, by holding the top edge of the rear sight even with the front edge of the ejection port, I was able to walk a few shots onto the pallet.

Field artillery with handguns is a hoot, so long as you have a safe place to do it.
Old April 24, 2011, 08:32 AM   #77
chadstrickland

I have to say that I have looked at a 400 yard view for the last three years of my life 10 hours a day 5 1/2 days a week and that first picture looks a lil farther than the drive thru window does a burger king which is almost dead on 400 yards away from the shop clear view....and I will say that is impressive shooting...my hats off to ya folks
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..