The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 5, 2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Vintage

Newbie Questions and concerns...

I recently bought an Uberti Remington New Army forged and I do love it but I have some concerns. Maybe it is just me, that I am overly worried about my new "toy" but these are my questions:

I have used both CCI. 10 and 11 caps. With a cap loader if I press down hard it will secure the .10's and if I crimp the .11's the same. The problem is I have two cylinders that I have to actually hit with the hammer twice before they fire. I don't know if it is the nipples or what. I have no issue with sending off to Taylor & Co. for new ones, but just wondered if anyone else had the same issue.

Also, there is a grove being cut slightly into the cylinder. A friend of mine told me not to be concerned that even his ruger .38 has that issue. There is also a slight play in the cylinder. even at full cock. I just noticed this. I don't know the tolerance or have a clue how to measure it. The nipple for the most part still stays in striking area of the hammer and the loading lever always slides easily into the chamber at full cock. When I say slight, I do mean slight but like I said, I do not know how to measure the tolerance or what it even should be at. A friend of mine said his ruger does the same and not to worry.

This is my first black powder revolver, I have a mountain pistol once but always wanted a Remie. I love it and it is very accurate and a hoot to shoot.

Just wanted some feedback, forgive a n00b =)
Old June 5, 2007, 07:11 PM   #2
w_houle

Easiest part on the first is to just use 10s. note which cylinders don't fire on the first hit then swich the nipples out to different cylinders and see if the problems stay with the cylinder or follow the nipples, there is going to be a lottle play in the cylinder, otherwise your gun would be worthess after a few rounds being too dirty, the forcing cone at the base of the barrel allows for a slight amount of variance but just so long as the action is locked at the end of the hammer pull you should be fine and pulling numbers out of my head I think you should be able to get a 0.01" feeler gauge in the cylinder gap. My pistol also wears the scratch marks. Congrats on the wonderful choice in pistols.
Old June 6, 2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Hafoc

What HE said about checking to see whether the nipples are the problem.

As for the caps- if I were you, I'd find a size and brand of cap that worked well and then stick with it. I'm leery about having to crimp (I presume you mean pinch?) the No. 11 caps to get them to stay on. All right if it works, but if the cap doesn't fit snugly on the nipple all the way around, you're increasing the chance of a chain fire. By how much I don't know.
Old June 7, 2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Phantom Captain

Here's my solution to the nipple sizes on the Italian repros.

I have replaced them on all my cap and balls with Thunder Ridge nipples. They cost about $14 for a set of six but they fit and work perfectly. The replacements for my Uberti's now all take Remington #10 caps perfectly (I think their Pietta replacements take #11's). It's really nice, one cap size for all my guns. I don't have to pinch caps anymore and they don't fall off by themselves or from concussion! And yes, caps falling off (not fitting correctly) is how chain fires happen. I think the only misfires I've had since replacing them has been only from cap fragments impeding the hammer.

I also order the caps by the case. 1000 at a time!
Old June 7, 2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Plink

It could be the nipples or the brand of caps. CCI caps take a harder whack to set them off than most others I've tried. I had trouble with them on some of my guns so I switched to Remington caps. I've never had an issue with Remington caps.

It could easily be the nipples too. If in doubt, you might want to swap to a set of ampco nipples. Treso makes nice ones and are available in most muzzleloader supply shops and websites.
Old June 10, 2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Vintage

Thanks all, good info here. I agree about the CCI caps, I am going to try remington caps next. I have only been doing every other chamber until I solve the cap issue due to concerns about chamber fire. I also think the thunder ridge nipple replacements are a good idea.

Thanks again. I love my gun in fact my father who is in his late 70's has now got into the act and picked himself up a remmie as well.
Old July 8, 2007, 04:19 AM   #7
Vintage

Just wanted to thank those that took the time to post in my thread. An update:

The Remington caps solved the issue completely.

Works like a charm now and the Remington New Army is definitely a work horse of a gun.