The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
PITT5150

S&W 6906

I remember this pistol back in the 90's. It's a 12 round compact version of the 5906. I've always wanted a 3rd gen S&W but never saw any advantages over a Glock. Well since they discontinued them, I've been wanting one even more. My buddy has one and wants to get rid of it so I now have an opportunity to own one. Now I have a S&W M&P9C that's just collecting dust since I carry my G19 all the time. The M&P9C holds the same amount of rounds as the S&W 6906, but the M&P is more compact and lighter. So, my problem is do I keep the more modern M&P or sell it and go old school with the 6906.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:50 PM   #2
David White

I can only say that I LOVED my 6906 and would love to find another one.
If it was me, I would trade in a heart beat but you need to do what you have to do.
Is this your only gun, or do you own others?
If you have other guns I would do the trade.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:36 AM   #3
PITT5150

My primary carry is a Glock 19 and have others as well. This is for nostalgia sakes but I do plan on carrying it as well.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:07 AM   #4
oldandslow

Pitt, 12/11/12

I have a number of compact 9mm carry pistols including the G-19 and the SW 6906/4 platform. While the G-19 is a fine weapon the 6906/04 just carries and points better for me than the Glock. I've shot the M&P9c as well and it was just another plastic pistol which seemed inferior in quality compared to the old SW 3rd gen guns. Of course I prefer DA/SA alloy framed guns in both .45 and 9mm so I may be biased (my .45 carry is a Sig p245). Good luck.

Merry Christmas- oldandslow
Old December 11, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
18DAI

I'd dump an M&P for a 6906, or any 3rd gen pistol, in a heartbeat.

With the 6906 you get a better trigger, inherent accuracy and increased resale value should you not like it. Not to mention it is a good looking pistol too. Good luck with your decision! Regards 18DAI
Old December 11, 2012, 04:42 PM   #6
scottycoyote

while i think the 6906 is a fine looking gun and a great gun for the money (there at one time you could get them for 250$), to me it was just too heavy to carry and too short to be much fun on the range. If it was for a specific purpose, like truck gun or bedstand gun, then by all means its hard to beat but i sold mine a couple years ago b/c it was just taking up space.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Strafer Gott

6906 is a good pistol

I still have a 6906. I must say I think it's one of the lighter metal pistols made.
It's compact and easy to pack. Magazines have been easy to find. It carries a decent number of rounds. It's good looking. I'd do it.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:28 PM   #8
carguychris

IMHO it's a matter of personal choice.

The M&P9c's major pluses include slightly lighter weight and a slightly more carry-friendly shape with fewer external protrusions. Other M&P pluses are the interchangeable backstraps, burgeoning aftermarket- particularly holster and sight availability- and the uniform shot-to-shot trigger pull; you don't have to deal with the DA-to-SA first-shot transition. OTOH the pistol's major minus is its trigger pull quality and long reset, which I don't mind, but some shooters seem to actively hate.

The M6906's major plus is a really nice trigger: smooth DA, not-quite-tuned-1911-nice but still very good SA, and the reset against which all other DA/SA pistols are judged. It has a standard safety and mag disconnect, which some like on a carry gun. Minuses? That DA-to-SA transition. The ambi decocker/safety levers and relatively big slide stop of the M6906 are obnoxiously obtrusive to some; the lack of safety levers is a reason why some shooters favor the less common decocker-lever M6926 or the leverless DAO M6946. There are no common and practical replacement options for the wraparound grip unit; if you don't like the ergos, that's just too bad.

M&P pistols generally lack a mag disconnect except for special-order (particularly LE) guns, but I regard mag disconnects as a matter of personal choice, and I don't want to veer into discussing their pluses and minuses here. FWIW the M6906 mag disconnect can be removed non-destructively, BUT the procedure requires drifting out the rear sight- not everyone's cup of tea.

Minor but mandatory M6906 warning notes...

The pistol came with two types of rear sight: a vertical blade used on 1988-early 1990 production, and a slanted Novak Lo-Mount unit used from late 1990 onwards. Although the early blade-style unit isn't awful, the Novak is better because it's more carry-friendly and offers more sight radius and aftermarket options. The clincher: the two do NOT interchange readily because the slide dovetails are different sizes!

The pistol came with two basic styles of trigger guard: a somewhat unsightly square guard was used until about 1992, and rounded guards were used later (there were a couple of very subtle and largely unimportant changes to the shape). Round trigger guard pistols will usually fit in square trigger guard holsters but NOT the reverse. This makes holster selection better for the round trigger guard pistols.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:48 PM   #9
dgludwig

As mentioned many times, I've long been a huge advocate of Smith & Wesson's line of "Third Generation" semi-auto pistols. I have a special affection for the Model 6906, mostly because, I suppose, it was my duty weapon for a couple of decades before my retirement and it never failed to function after countless rounds expended, much of which involved cheap agency reloaded ammunition fired during mandatory qualification course of fires. It remains a pistol I rely on for much of my ccw carrying duties in my new "civilian" status.

Quote:
The pistol came with two basic styles of trigger guard: a somewhat unsightly square guard was used until about 1992,
This is the trigger guard configuration my Model 6906 has and, though there are some who prefer it's looks (at least, that's what I've read), I also find the appearance "somewhat unsightly". Square guard or not, I would choose the Model 6906 for carrying concealed self-defense duties over any Glock (or any other pistol, for that matter) ever made.

Last edited by dgludwig; December 12, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:05 PM   #10
timn8er

My 6906

I bought a 6906 sometime back, & I love the thing. My usual carry is an
M&P40C & I don't find the 6906 to be any heavier. When I first got it
I was surprised at the compactness of the gun. In fact, I can use all my
40C holsters for the 6906. It shoots well, is easy to break down for
maintenance, & is a damn good looking gun.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:47 PM   #11
presspics

A late model 6906 is pure perfection.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:56 PM   #12
smee78

Why settle with "OR" get and keep both.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:00 PM   #13
War_Eagle

I carry a 6906 and can honestly say that of all the weapons I have carried over the years, I stake my life literally on this one. It has the bad rap of being to heavy which it's not with the right holster/belt combo. I have had a few of the "plastic pistols" but when things go south I am glad I have the 6906. I also have the 5906 9mm it's full size brother and the 4516 .45acp it's outrageous uncle.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:56 PM   #14
PeterGunn

Glock 19 is my primary carry pistol with one or two spare mags. As much as I love the Glock, my 6906 serves as my bedside (read pillow) gun. In that role, I am more comfortable with a gun that has a manual safety.

The 3rd generation S&Ws are fantastic guns. Any opportunity to pick one up should be taken.

PeterGunn
Old December 29, 2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Homerboy

I've had a bunch of 3rd gens. 2 5906's, a 5903, a 915, a 6906 (bought in box and absolutely perfect), a CS9, and 2 3913's. I am down to the 3913. I miss the others terribly, expacially the 6906. I got the adapter for it and used 5906 mags in it. Very cool gun. Wouldn't carry it, though. it is too heavy. For me, a carry gun has to be COMFY. The 3913 is, but it's close to being uncomfortable. I'm looking for a Sheild, now. 6 Ounces lighter and flatter is a GOOD thing. But my 3913 is here to stay. Such a nice and good looking gun!
Old December 29, 2012, 10:11 PM   #16
seeker_two

S&W M&P9C's are still being made and are easily found....6906's are not.....
Old January 2, 2013, 01:18 PM   #17
dgludwig

So best get one while you still can @ a price you can still afford. I predict that the prices on all "Third Generation" Smith & Wesson pistols will escalate in the near future, and that they will become harder and harder to find at decent prices.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:58 PM   #18
DTrain

I just picked up a used 5904 in excellent condition. I am glad I did. Only been to the range once, but I really think I am going to like this pistol.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:54 PM   #19
itchy1

People really should quit buying up all the heavy, obsolete 3rd gen pistols. I mean, they're made out of either all stainless steel or stainless and aluminum--Yuck! Who want's a big, heavy, durable gun that will last several lifetimes? These solid-as-a-rock relics from a bygone era make others think that you are an old fuddy dud when they see you shooting one at the range. So please, do yourselves a favor and leave these archaic pistols in the used gun display for those of us who are hopelessly caught in a time warp. We really cannot adapt to the modern age and have no ability to appreciate the wonders of polymer.

Signed,
Oliver A. Steele
Old January 3, 2013, 06:19 PM   #20
dgludwig

Well said, Itchy.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:03 AM   #21
aden67

People really should quit buying up all the heavy, obsolete 3rd gen pistols. I mean, they're made out of either all stainless steel or stainless and aluminum--Yuck! Who want's a big, heavy, durable gun that will last several lifetimes? These solid-as-a-rock relics from a bygone era make others think that you are an old fuddy dud when they see you shooting one at the range. So please, do yourselves a favor and leave these archaic pistols in the used gun display for those of us who are hopelessly caught in a time warp. We really cannot adapt to the modern age and have no ability to appreciate the wonders of polymer.

Yes, I too am in a time warp...and happy about it! Top row is a 4506 and a 5906...bottom is a 4516 and a 6906

Attached Images
File Type: jpg smiths.jpg (130.4 KB, 566 views)
Old January 4, 2013, 03:44 PM   #22
Strafer Gott

The only gen 3 Smiths I see anymore are all DAO. They would probably sell for kilobuck, if made today. The 4006 is my comfort gun for the .40. It's a tactical, and heavy as hell. I saw a San Diego PD officer packing one this summer.
Old January 4, 2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Que

I would take the 6906 over the M&P. I don't have a 6906 but have a number of 3rd Gens. Often overlooked are the second gen guns. I have the 12 round 669 which I believe is pretty much the predecessor of the 6906. It is one sweet pistol.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:03 PM   #24
scottycoyote

the 3rd gen smiths are great guns for certain purposes, but my glock and keltecs have spoiled me as far as carry goes. I had a 6906 but it was like carrying a brick, its not very flat wither...if im going to put up with that kind of weight its going to be for something like a nice 1911 or maybe a browning hp. If you needed a great car gun/nightstand/bugout gun and it was a good deal pricewise than sure, but i didnt need any of those and didnt like carrying mine so i sold it off.
Old January 4, 2013, 05:58 PM   #25
Ozzieman

What are you guy’s talking about, it is the 90’s right?
Picked up this 3906 this summer new in the box from an estate sale for $350.
Trigger feels like it imbedded in a cinder block, slide is like pulling water from a dying man in the desert.Shoot it in bright day light and it’s like looking into the sun.
And I like this old tank. After 500 rounds the trigger still feels like sand paper but it’s coming around. The big thing is that it’s like shooting a 22 after my Glock 26 and it shoots very well.
I just wish I could get a set of nice wood furniture for it that was a little shorter (front to back).
It’s a keeper.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.