The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old September 10, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
madhat

Rugers rifles are bad

not sure on the accuracy of the gun i handled around 10 hawkeye and m77's and wow, the bolt felt like complete crap and the internal magizine is alright but the device used to push the bullets upwards is embarssing it was difficult to get back into the gun and it bounced around and made the rifle look much cheaper then it was priced... the materials used on the rugers is acceptable, i only liked one and it was a handgun by ruger - i believe ruger makes quality handguns but their rifle department needs work

the rifles i'm firmly impressed with are the winchester 70 bolt, browning a & x -bolt, tikka-sako actions.

i used a blaser for awhile but it wasnt to my liking
Old September 10, 2012, 12:28 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

Quote:
i believe ruger makes quality handguns but their rifle department needs work
One of my favorite experience-behind-the-gunstore-counter guys said almost these exact words to me a few years ago.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:15 PM   #3
geetarman

Quote:
i believe ruger makes quality handguns but their rifle department needs work
I have two M77V rifles that are over thirty years old. They have never missed a beat. I don't know about the newer ones but the ones I have shoot fine.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 10, 2012, 02:47 PM   #4
kraigwy

I started reading this post and then dug my Ruger #1 in 204 our of the gun case. NOPE, its not crap. Shoots great. Hell on PDs and coyotes.

I have to admit I haven't got any of the newer Ruger Bolt guns, Mine our older, a 7 MM Rem Mag M77 and the other is a M77 in 458 Win. Both are great, but older, I got the 7 Rem Mag in 1970, it still works today. Except I think my son decided it was his.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 10, 2012, 02:48 PM   #5
jimbob86

I have a Ruger Frontier that I like very much. Nice rifle.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Keg

I have not looked at one recently..but my wifes 77 Hawkeye is a well made rifle and shoots awesome.....
Old September 10, 2012, 03:51 PM   #7
FrosSsT

The only thing I got made by Ruger is the classic 10/22 (which has been flawless for thousands of rounds) so I can not really comment on their bolt action centerfires. I think the gunsite scout is a pretty nice looking rifle.
Old September 10, 2012, 04:37 PM   #8
madhat

OP

The newer Ruger rifle line itself looks with materials and builds to fit all needs woods - composites - steel stainless or blued. All looks great but when you actually hold one and feel one at first it feels solid but as soon as you lift that bolt and have to wiggle it out of the bolt chamber that's not a good first impression! i put that hawkeye down and picked up another hawkeye stainless composite black, same solid feeling, i picked up the bolt and yet again a wiggle is needed to free the bolt and this one was factory brand new.

I then opened the steel floor plate a nice ruger logo was engraved into it, i released it to find a spring like device which is used to push bullets up into the action to be fed into the lung - barrel and you know the rest sadly this device was not appealing at all, not only was it flimsy feeling it was also difficult to get back into the gun. the metal sheet spring flaps easily come out of the internal magazine while trying to close the steel floor plate. i am no fan of this and i will not buy any rifles with this crude idiot device i prefer clips or a internal magazine which feeds into a secondary barrel below the actual barrel

The Ruger did have a good weight and depending on the version you choose it might be completely different experience but for me the Hawkeye M77 failed to impress
Old September 10, 2012, 04:48 PM   #9
comn-cents

So you haven't shot one but you picked it up and now they are bad
Old September 10, 2012, 04:53 PM   #10
tahunua001

that's interesting. I have been playing around with a number of the ruger american rifles, no1s and M77s and have never once had the issue you descibe. either someones standards are very high or someones LGS is on some wholesalers ****-list.

my older brothers M77 MKII that he bought 15 years ago has never failed and every single male member of my family owns a 10/22 that have been purchased over a 15 year period or more and none of them are the crap that you describe.

have you ever thought to shoot one before making up your mind about them or do you base all of your impressions on an unloaded rifle with a trigger lock on it?
Old September 10, 2012, 04:55 PM   #11
dahermit

"...i released it to find a spring like device which is used to push bullets up into the action to be fed into the lung - barrel and you know the rest sadly this device was not appealing at all, not only was it flimsy feeling it was also difficult to get back into the gun. the metal sheet spring flaps easily come out of the internal magazine while trying to close the steel floor plate. i am no fan of this and i will not buy any rifles with this crude idiot device i prefer clips or a internal magazine which feeds into a secondary barrel below the actual barrel..."
Huh???
Old September 10, 2012, 05:41 PM   #12
gwnorth

Madhat - what you describe sounds like any integral box magazine I've ever seen. Rifles have been made with floor plate magazines like that for eons.

P.S. some integral box magazines can be loaded from clips
Old September 10, 2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Gster

My M77 MK II will shoot clover leaf groups all day long with factory Remm. ammo. Just sayin.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:30 PM   #14
madhat

i didn't say the acuracy of rugers was bad, it just doesn't have the quality of other rifles for one to a few hundred more
Old September 10, 2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Polinese

The cheaper product isn't as nice as the more expensive one? Weird....

Also I'm not really sure what makes the ruger magazine any different than any other magazine i've seen, including the ones of the rifles you listed as liking.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:41 PM   #16
comn-cents

madhat "[I]i didn't say the acuracy of rugers was bad"[/I]

That's right all you did was pick it up.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:45 PM   #17
cornbush

I have a few Ruger rifles, only one is old, I wouldn't trade them for anything....... and your description of the
  • magazine spring and follower
pretty much describes every internal box magazine out there.
Have you looked at any other rifles?........ I think you'll find the same thing.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:00 PM   #18
603Country

I suspect that madhat isn't the John Browning of our time. If the magazine apparatus was beyond his comprehension, I don't need his opinion of rifles, or hamburgers, or pretty much anything at all.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:01 PM   #19
Strafer Gott

I had an M77 in .300 win mag that would print the first two rounds touching cold, so it made a good hunting rifle. After that first two, the heat would get to it, so it kind of made a bad plinker. There are better stocks, but not too many will print the first two touching.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:10 PM   #20
wild willy

603Country I couldn't agree more.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:14 PM   #21
GeauxTide

I currently own 2 Ruger 77s that are 2009-2010 vintage. They work and shoot fantastic. I also own 6 Ruger revolvers. After your post, I'm going to buy another Ruger rifle.
Old September 10, 2012, 08:29 PM   #22
jimbob86

Quote:
magizine is alright but the device used to push the bullets upwards is embarssing
Izit engrish?
Old September 10, 2012, 08:40 PM   #23
Yankee Doodle

My "POS" Ruger 77 is the original type, with the tang safety. Have been using it for well over 20 years. Nothing I have ever shot with this gun has done anything other than come home with me. 2 moose, 4 caribou, 3 Russian Boar, 1 rather large Bear, and I don't know how many Deer.
Like I said, it's a POS, but I try to make due with what I have.
They have been in business long enough for me to think that most other folks are making due as well.
The OP is certainly allowed his own opinion, but.............................
Old September 10, 2012, 08:41 PM   #24
Daggitt

Watch out for the big flames Madhat. Your hair is about to catch on fire!
Old September 10, 2012, 10:24 PM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No complaints from me for Rugers I've owned in the past. My only present Ruger rifle is a 77 Mk II in .223. Not fancy finished, true, but plenty okay; at worst I'd call it adequately finished and plenty smooth enough in operation. It does well on prairie dogs.
Closed Thread