The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 30, 2010, 09:02 PM   #1
chris in va

Walker's Alpha fix!

I spied the Walker's Alpha muff at Meijer today and thought I'd give them a try. Unfortunately all the reviews online pointed out the headband will snap with normal use, so I got to looking at the design.

If you look closely, where the headband attaches to the muff yoke is a small tab that pushes it in further, supposedly to make for a tight fit (and tight it is!).

Looking at the way it flexes, it seems those tabs put undue stress on the Made In China headband, causing it to snap. So...I simply ground them off.

Now when I open the muffs to a 'head width', the headband itself doesn't flex at all, just those adjustable ones that pull out. I should have been a mechanical engineer.

BTW I'm highly impressed with the way these cut loud noises. For $50 I was expecting complete shut off, but from what I can tell they dampen the crack but retain the normal hearing level at the same time. I'll post a report when I get back from the range tomorrow.
Old November 16, 2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Ceapea

I too just saw these today at Meijers. I found your post while checking for reviews on them. Could you please post a picture of the finished work? I'm not envisioning the finished product.

Thanks