The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 17, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Single Six

What Do You Suggest?

Several gun shows are coming to my area soon, but with my schedule, I can only attend two of them. Now, with the elections coming up [and therefore a good possibility of another ammo shortage], should I buy yet another gun that I really want more than I actually need...or use the money to instead buy ammo / accessories while I still can?

Last edited by Single Six; June 18, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old June 18, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2
DaleA

Well, the last fourteen times they said the sky was going to fall it didn't.

Heck, I've still got the pallets of Y2K ammo taking up valuable space in the basement.

I'd get the gun and then take up reloading. (But just because reloading is fun.)
Old June 18, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3
oneounceload

Maybe you should consult a financial advisor and really invest your money in some worthwhile financial instruments....
Old June 18, 2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Nathan

Naw, buy guns and ammo. It is the investment which makes you happy while paying maginal returns!
Old June 18, 2012, 07:53 PM   #5
shaunpain

I think prices will go way down on everything after November, but maybe that's just the optimism in me. Either way, I'd suggest you buy what you want because after all, guns are worth more than cash.
Old June 18, 2012, 11:03 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Given the premise that things could go all to pieces this fall, might be a good idea to keep some cash around in case of a bank holiday. If you have enough guns, that is....
Old June 18, 2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Clark

Guns have made 3% compounded over the last 100 years, last 10 years, or in between.
So have guitars.

I have made 19.5% compounded over the last 18 years in the stock market.

Every night for an hour I argue about investments with a man with many millions and an econ degree.
He is buying farms in Uruguay and Gold in the USA.
I am still in stocks and trying to get out of real estate.

I know a guy in Utah that just one of his rifles is worth more than my 200 long guns.

I find getting deals at gun shows to be as good a sport as killing animals with guns.

So if I get a gun for $20 that is worth $200, that is as much fun for me as my 2nd friend shooting another elephant.

My attitude is that if the economy goes into a depression for 20 years, it will just be another adventure.

What does it all mean?
I am not impressed with gloom and doom economic prophesies.
I am not impressed with guns that are expensive collector jewelry.
I will just keep buying the cheapest gun at every gun show because they are fun to buy and fun to take apart.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?