The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Br_Mark

Milsurp Tokarev Ammo Questions

In a couple of months I'll be the owner of a Romanian TTC and I have a few questions on the surplus 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo I see listed on different web sites:

The milsurp ammo is listed as corrosive. I assume that as long as the gun is cleaned soon after firing milsurp that all will be well. Are there any tips or tricks that I should do other than a good cleaning?
BTW – Is the residue basic or acidic?

The milsurp ammo is sealed in a tin container. After opening the tin container, how should I store the remaining ammo? Ammo box with a desiccator or does it matter?

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. Please feel free to point out anything that could be issue that I didn't ask about. I'm trying to maximize my plinking fun at the range while minimizing the cost. Again thanks, Br_Mark
Old March 4, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
tahunua001

the reason it's corrosive is because it has salt in it to preserve it so it's not a super corrosive substance, I've left my guns for a couple weeks before cleaning and they weren't showing any signs of rust yet. a lot of guys recommend windex while others recommend hot water. I use the hot water method and it works fine for my pistols, my AK seems still accumulates rust after a few months in storage though. whatever works for you gun I suppose. as for storage as long as you keep it dry and room temperature after opening you wont have any issues. I've cracked open spam cans of ammo that were packed in 1942 and the ammo is still as good as the day it was made almost 2 years later.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Br_Mark

tahunua001 - Thanks for the information! Br Mark
Old March 5, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

It's the salts from the corrosive primers that cause the problem.

Quote:
These corrosive primers leave a residue of potassium chloride salt in the bore after a cartridge is fired. These hygroscopic salt crystals will hold moisture from a humid atmosphere and cause rusting.[8] These corrosive primers can cause serious damage to the gun unless the barrel and action are cleaned carefully after firing.
Hot water, and soap just like cleaning black powder is good. I just use Hoppe's #9, let it soak for a short time. swab the bore, scrub the action with a nylon brush, and wipe with a cleaning patch or rag. Repeat, and run an oiled patch down the bore. Wipe the rest doen with an oiled cloth. I've never had a rust problem with any of my milsurps cleaned in this fashion. Most, if not all of them have shot nothing but corrosive surplus ammo.
One note about that. No matter what the seller claims treat all surplus ammo as corrosive.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 6, 2012, 05:13 AM   #5
Br_Mark

Thanks, Cheapshooter. Do you have any problems with the receiver or magazines with any salt residue in these parts?
Old March 6, 2012, 11:10 AM   #6
tahunua001

you will with direct impingement and blowback systems but really w piston systems.

Tags
milsurp , tokarev