The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 11, 2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Freeman25

m134/gau-17 minigun

I've been doing some search on this weapon and I have a few questions.
which way are the barrels spinning?
what drives the delinking feeder, the electric motor or the rotor assembly?
does the delinking feeder eject the spent casings?
Any help is apprechiated,
thanks,
Max

Max
Old September 11, 2005, 04:25 PM   #2
CQBArms

http://www.motionpicturearmourer.com...ifications.htm
Old September 11, 2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Casp_A

The barrels turn clockwise as seen from the muzzle end. The electric motor drives the barrel rotor, the barrel rotor drives the delinker. The disintigrating belt links are ejected from the delinker, the fired shells are ejected from the rotor housing between the motor and delinker.

Edit: Here's a diagram of the operating cycle I did in about 10 minutes. Please don't laugh. This is from the breech end of the gun. It should be noted that an original General Electric mount has the gun mounted as seen in the picture. The new Dillon Aero mounts have the gun turned on it's side, as if you were to rotate this diagam 90 degrees clockwise.

The delinker pulls the feed belt in and wraps it around a spindle containing a group of six ramming piston things that push the cartridges forward, out of the belt, and throws them into the gun. It's timed to the rotor assembly so that the cartridges are thrown directly into the bolt paths. If it isn't timed correctly, it pushes them against the barriers between the bolt paths, jamming the gun and breaking the delinker.

As the bolts approach the top of the rotation, a camming track built into the rotor housing forces them forward to the closed position. At top of the rotation the bolts are fully closed and the cartridges are fired. As they come down the other side the bolts are drawn back, extracting the fired shells so they can be ejected at the bottom.

Last edited by Casp_A; September 11, 2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old September 12, 2005, 07:31 AM   #4
Freeman25

its not that bad, moreover it's very good. thanks.
and thanks for the link CQBArms.
another question: does it have a mobile battery or something?
Max

Max
Old September 12, 2005, 01:33 PM   #5
Casp_A

Normally it would be powered from the electrical system of a running vehicle, however I'm told that it can run off of a 28vDC battery that weighed 60-something pounds. Then there's the weight of the gun, the massive amout of ammo it consumes, the mount the gun goes on, etc. I wouldn't exactly call that mobile, except maybe on a truck or something.
Old September 12, 2005, 02:35 PM   #6
Freeman25

and is there a power switch or something or just a trigger?

Max
Old September 12, 2005, 05:42 PM   #7
CQBArms

Control box

More detailed pictures of a minigun you will never find...granted a different one but a lot the same...

http://www.subgunvideos.com/gallery/...Charlie&page=1
Old September 13, 2005, 06:10 AM   #8
Freeman25

very good picture, thanks
this is an airsoft gun(1.pic).
Do you think that there is a real minigun out there/in the US military/ , with this "frame"(2. pic)?
Max
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pict1171.jpg (98.9 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg Pict1171.jpg (91.3 KB, 325 views)

Max
Old September 13, 2005, 11:53 AM   #9
KREW3

pffffft i have 2 or 3 of these laying around in my garage. .
Old September 13, 2005, 03:01 PM   #10
Freeman25

i mean is there a real 7.62 m134/gau 17 minigun in this form?
Max

Max
Old September 13, 2005, 10:41 PM   #11
Casp_A

Yes, there is. One. I think there are something like 7 or 8 Miniguns out on Form 4, and a while back one of them was modified to be fired off-hand from the waist by a Hollywood gunsmith. Rate of fire was reduced to 1600 rounds per minute (from the normal 2000/4000.) This was the gun that was used in The Predator and Terminator 2. The M-134 was never manufactured like that, that custom gun is one-of-a-kind. It was never even supposed to be used like that. It's a sixty pound gun that generates massive amounts of recoil when firing real ammo (as opposed to movie blanks.)
Old September 14, 2005, 05:30 AM   #12
Freeman25

ok thanks
so this type of minigun is in only films and pc games. but it would be possible to place a frame like that on a real GAU 17, dont you think.

Max

Last edited by Freeman25; September 14, 2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old September 14, 2005, 09:50 AM   #13
shaggy

As CaspA has said, you could put a real M134 in that sort of frame, but it would probably seriously injure the operator if they fired it like that.

Just to give you an idea of the thrust the M134 puts out...

A friend of mine has a minigun (actually two...one is for sale IF you have a LE love letter, an SOT and about $60,000) - anyway, his gun is mounted to a modified M63 mount with a bicycle seat for the operator. I estimate the mount at about 80-90 lbs. My friend is a fairly big guy - about 200-210 lbs. The minigun weighs about another 20 lbs. Figure about 300 lbs sans ammo, battery, control system, feed chute, etc. He set the weapon up on a spot of ground covered with rough gravel. With less than a 50rds in a test belt, the force of the weapon pushed the weight of the entire mount (with him sitting in it) across hard gravel backwards approximately one foot...and again, that was less than 50rds in a single burst pushing about 300 lbs. against a very high friction surface.

What do you think the same short burst would do a 175-200 lb man firing from the hip?
Old September 14, 2005, 12:54 PM   #14
Freeman25

yeah, the man would fly like a jet

Max
Old September 14, 2005, 02:27 PM   #15
CobrayCommando

Use blackpowder instead of cordite and you would be the human squid!
Old September 14, 2005, 04:56 PM   #16
Casp_A

Ya know, I always thought a GAU-19 with a frame like that would be cool.
.50 BMG at 1300 rounds per minute. Man, talk about recoil...
Old September 14, 2005, 05:18 PM   #17
Slimjim

It seems that the m134 operates like an oversized gatling gun. The firing pins ride the cam block up and than drop through a slot at the top and slam home and fire the round. Its just not top fed and hand cranked. I wonder if dillion would build some rich guy a minigun...but instead of a motor a hand crank, so it would be legal
Old September 14, 2005, 05:37 PM   #18
shaggy

Dillon will not sell miniguns (even post-samples to SOTs with LE love letters) or parts. If you know the right people, however, you can secure the parts you need - Dillon doesn't make all the parts, but rather subcontracts out some of the sub-assemblies.

If you've got the hankering for a hand-cranked minigun, Brass Cartridge is working on a rimfire version, both in a handcranked version, and post-sample version. IIRC, the hand-cranked version was suppossed to be priced at about $10k when it become available.