The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 11, 2012, 07:07 PM   #1
frigate88

Ammo tax.. Is this true?

I just heard that Obama the President was putting a new tax on ammo of 50 cents per round per box? I though it might be a rumor, but today at the gun show I asked few vendors and a friend that owns a local range and apparently this is true. Has anyone else heard of this yet and is it accurate? Im guessing it's some what true. The bulk ammo dealer was completely out of the popular caliber bulk boxes of ammo. I've never seen that even after previous elections.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for thier own actions."
****BLEED BLUE, 10-8****

Last edited by Bud Helms; November 12, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:12 PM   #2
1 old 0311-1

Chicago has/proposed a .05 cent tax on ALL ammo.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Sparks1957

Since when can the president simply levy new taxes? Some people will believe anything, I swear.

Only Congress can levy taxes. The president, through the IRS (a branch of the Treasury Dept.) collects the taxes.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:19 PM   #4
pturner67

Chicago considered proposing a per round tax of 5 cents but from what I recently read that they got pressure and decided to not propose it

A President cannot levy taxes. Only Congress can levy taxes.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
spanishjames

Quote:
Chicago considered proposing a per round tax of 5 cents but from what I recently read that they got pressure and decided to not propose it
They did drop the ammo tax, but kept the $25.00 per gun sold in Cook County. The proceeds are to be used for "violence prevention". I believe the tax goes into effect in April of 2013.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Bud Helms

Quote:
But the $25 per firearm tax has been enacted.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ors_picks=true

Stated reason for the tax, in that article : "Preckwinkle said the average shooting victim cost taxpayers $52,000 in acute care because nearly 70 percent of the victims don't have health insurance, ... "
Old November 11, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
BarryLee

This is ridiculous they would have to sell 2080 guns to cover just one shooting victim, so obviously this is not meant to offset those cost. This is obviously just stealth gun control and I fear we may see more of it.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 11, 2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Sparks1957

But my point stands... Obama The President cannot levy any taxes without the cooperation of Congress.

Local and state governments can certainly do that, and are, but that is where political activism by gun owners needs to happen.

Last edited by Bud Helms; November 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: politics by name
Old November 11, 2012, 07:41 PM   #9
ripnbst

I realize he thinks ea doing the country a favor but do you know how many more jobs would be lost if he did that? Chain reaction- Ammo mfgs layoff, small guys close, gun companies layoff, ranges close, training places layoff and/or close their doors.

Obama The President's an idiot if this story has any merit.

Last edited by Bud Helms; November 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Politics by name
Old November 11, 2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Nathan

The purpose is to get a $25 tax in now and bump it to $500 when the political climate is right.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:48 PM   #11
BarryLee

Quote:
The purpose is to get a $25 tax in now and bump it to $500 when the political climate is right.
I heard an interview on NPR with a representative of the Brady Campaign a few years back. They were discussing some proposal and the host asked if it would really make much difference. The Brady Bunch guy admitted it would not, but said their strategy was to seek ongoing incremental restrictions.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 11, 2012, 09:18 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

There's no such tax on the table, nor have I heard of any legislation to that effect. Whoever told you that is either parroting something they heard, or they are lying to get your money.

Hey, if they want to try taxing ammunition, I say bring it. That opens the door to some very interesting and potentially game-changing litigation.
Old November 11, 2012, 09:29 PM   #13
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Hey, if they want to try taxing ammunition, I say bring it. That opens the door to some very interesting and potentially game-changing litigation.
Care to elaborate?
Old November 11, 2012, 10:09 PM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
I'll give you a hint. We have a tax on certain types of firearms that dates back to the Roosevelt administration. The Supreme Court has ruled before that taxing the exercise of 1st Amendment rights is unconstitutional. If that standard is applied to the 2nd Amendment, the constitutionality of that Depression-era tax also gets called into question.

From the standpoint of gun-control advocates, the blowback could be very bad indeed.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Master Blaster 2

So what Frigget88 said is BS?
Old November 11, 2012, 11:46 PM   #16
Bud Helms

Frigget88 asked some questions and repeated some things he's heard.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:51 PM   #17
spanishjames

There will be a fight regarding the $25.00 tax on firearms sold in Cook County IL. It boils down to a tax on a fundamental right.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:21 AM   #18
vito

My guess is that even though the new $25 gun tax does not go into effect immediately, it will have the impact of driving gun sales out of Crook County right away. And for whatever it is worth, two local gun shops here in northern IL have told me that gun and ammo sales have jumped dramatically since the re-election last week of Obama.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:27 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The President cannot levy any taxes without the cooperation of Congress."

That is what you need to know and remember when you hear someone talking about this stuff, folks.

Some years ago we had a persistent rumor that the IRS, of its own volition, was going to lay a tax on firearms by requiring them to be listed individually on your tax return.

They could do that because, well, because they are the IRS, and they can put taxes in place without having to go to Congress.

BRAVO.

SIERRA.

We fought that one for quite some time, because people just don't understand how the Constitution in this country works.

EDIT IN:

OK, it was Senate Bill 2099, in which the Senate Finance Committee allegedly had the power to bring new taxes into law of their own accord, NOT the IRS.

Still BS. A subcommittee of either the House or the Senate still can't bypass the Constitutional process to get new legislation into place.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; November 12, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:32 AM   #20
Rifleman1776

Some people just love to belive any nonsense that comes in an e-mail, especially if it puts Obama in a bad light.
Things like this are easy to check out.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:42 AM   #21
22-rimfire

Quote:
The Brady Bunch guy admitted it would not, but said their strategy was to seek ongoing incremental restrictions.
That is the strategy, death by incremental cuts. Congress has taxing authority. The President can propose such a tax, but it has to go through Congress. Even when the President's party had both houses of Congress, gun control legislation was deemed to be very difficult to get through Congress. I hope that belief continues.

In Cook County, the tax had to be approved by the Council, not only the mayor of Chicago. The bullet tax was dropped and the per gun tax on new purchases was enacted.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:20 PM   #22
TailGator

Prices and shortages have so far been the result of market activity, not any legislation that has been passed.

And the market is, well, us.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #23
Hal

Obama The President - no - but - Shurmer and company - yes.

I can't recall the website that lists all the proposed legislation - maybe someone here can...

If you go there and search for bills that have the word "ammunition", there's quite a few where the bill's sponsor is proposing a rediculosly high tax on ammunition.

Ah here it is:
http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.php

I looked for something current and there isn't anything I could find right now.
In the past though, Shumer and company had sponsored such bills.
They go no where.

More than likely that's what it is and not the president
(although I doubt Obama the President would veto such a bill if hit his desk.)

Last edited by Bud Helms; November 12, 2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: politics by name
Old November 12, 2012, 04:28 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

Schumer - spelling police here.

Not that I have much use for him.
Old November 12, 2012, 04:45 PM   #25
1 old 0311-1

A President cannot levy taxes. Only Congress can levy taxes.

True and it's up to the Supreme Court to determine if laws are fair. 3,000,000 illegals were permitted to stay because a President said " THIS ISSUE IS TOO IMPORTANT TO BE LEFT TO LAW MAKERS SO I AM -O-V-E-R-R-I-D-I-N-G- BOTH AND BY PRESIDENTIAL ORDER IGNORING IT."

Assume NOTHING kids.
Closed Thread