The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
goldfacade

444 marlin with FTX bullet

Posted this in the rifle section also, posted it here as the FTX is a component that if worth it I will reload.

I am thinking of trying some 265gr LeverEvolution ammo in my 444. Its an older model with the micro-groove 1-38" twist. I have heard that there are accuracy problems with this ammo with this twist rate, has anyone had any experiences to share?

It shoots the 240gr Remington Express very well, 1 1/2" all day long, hot or cold barrel. I will most likely use this load again this year, but I have some open spaces that stretch out to ~250yds. I let game pass at that distance with this load as it looses to much energy at that distance. Just wondering if the $45 dollar a box ammo would be worth it?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old September 19, 2009, 01:02 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I would need to know the length of that particular bullet to answer your question with a reasonable certainty. You can call Hornady's toll free number on Monday and as the length? Plug it into my stability and twist calculator which you can download in Excel/Calc format from my file repository here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 19, 2009, 10:28 AM   #3
flinch444

I have never tried the leverevolution ammo, but in my opinion, at 45 bucks a box, its not worth it.

Im not a rich guy, so i refuse to pay that much for ammo.
The last time I bought factory rounds for the 444 was quite a few years ago, the 265gr Hornady light mags were about 20 bucks, and its a very good round, probably the best for factory ammo. This is what I would use if I didnt reload.
I think the only difference between these and the leverevolution bullets, is a plastic tip. I wouldnt expect any added performance to justify over twice the cost.