The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 27, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
kxkid

Lee 45 acp bullet seating die

What kind of crimp does it do?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old May 27, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Smaug

Taper crimp

(this is in the instruction sheet)

It only works consistently if your brass is all the same length. I've found it is usually good enough just to sort brass.

Otherwise, your money is well spent on the Lee Factory Crimp Die as a 4th step for reloading 45 ACP.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old May 28, 2011, 03:38 AM   #3
jhansman

What Smaug said. Plan on getting the Deluxe 4-die set. For a while I used an RCBS die that seated and crimped in one step, but soon switched to separate crimping with the Lee and have never looked back.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:33 AM   #4
kxkid

Neither one helped. I want to know what kind of crimp it does. Roll or taper.

Old May 29, 2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Sensai

It's a taper crimp die. The only roll crimp pistol dies from Lee are the rim cartridges (38/357, 45Colt, etc). The pistol FCD is also a taper crimp, but has the carbide sizing ring that is basically a "bulge buster" for more positive chambering.

Take-offs are optional, landings are manditory!!
Old May 29, 2011, 03:14 PM   #6
kxkid

Thank you. I just figured out that there was a crimp in it and that should solve my blow back issues now since I was not putting any on brfore

Old May 29, 2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxkid
Thank you. I just figured out that there was a crimp in it and that should solve my blow back issues now since I was not putting any on brfore
I'd be surprised if the crimp helps much at all with blow-back. It might raise the case pressure a bit, but neck tension is what really holds the bullet in the case. For blow back the usual solution is to up the powder charge a bit (within published levels, of course).
Old May 29, 2011, 10:51 PM   #8
drail

+1 on the last post. Case neck tension is what keeps the bullet from moving. When you seat a bullet before you apply any crimp try to push the bullet into the case deeper on the edge of your bench. If you can move it at all you need more tension. To get more tension measure your expander plug - if it's not 3 or 4 thous. less than your bullet diameter then it can be turned down in a drill press. Start with a smooth file and polish with sandpaper. In a semi auto cartridge the only thing the crimp is doing is removing whatever flare you put in the case. Blowback is cause by low pressure loads that don't expand the case out enough to seal the chamber. For low pressure loads match brass works a little better because the brass is a little thinner and will expand at the lower pressure. But if you run light loads you're going to have blow by. It really doesn't hurt anything - just makes your cases look funky.