The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1
praetorian97

223/5.56 Packaging

A quick write up.....

I recently got into reloading 223/5.56 rounds for my AR.

Storage is always a huge thing for me as I am a neat freak. Also I am not sure how long this ammo will have to store before I get to the range to shoot it. I came across what they called "Repack Kits" on the internet. This was a great idea but had a few extra items I didnt really need.

I recently picked up some surplus ammo and loved the way it was packed into the ammo can. Decided to put my own "Repack Kit" together. I already had some ammo cans laying around as well as some stripper clips I bought previously.

To start you need thin carboard. I just had a BBQ so I had plenty of soda boxes left over that worked out great. If you use thicker or traditional carboard it will be too thick in my opinion.

I traced out my template and used a pair of scissors to cut away. Straight lines are important to keep the box an actual box.

Take your stripper clips and load up 10rnds per clip.

Load up 3 per box.

Finished Product.

Nice and clean looking. Plus secured from the elements in this can.

Old May 25, 2011, 03:21 PM   #2
praetorian97

Edit.
Old May 27, 2011, 04:47 PM   #3
bfoosh006

Looks great !

Just an FYI and my 2 cents... use real USGI cardboard sleeves, they are made from "acid-free" cardboard and as such .. won't corrode or pit the brass. Your sleeves are GTG, just maybe not for long term ( 15+ years ) storage.