The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 16, 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
bwheasler

Accutips

Just finished sighting in my 870 for my Africa trip in 2 weeks. These Accutips shot sweet. Well within reasonable hunting distance, and I don't think 150 to 175yds would be unreasonable with a solid rest. They impressed me, I was on target in under 10 shots, downside $17.00 a box around here. 2" @75yds and 2" @ 125 if I hadn't pulled the last shot. Not too bad for a slug gun.

Last edited by bwheasler; April 17, 2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old April 16, 2009, 09:24 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Seventeen bucks for 25 rounds is Cheap!
Or is that for 5?
Brent
Old April 17, 2009, 08:32 AM   #3
bwheasler

Sorry

That's for 5 ,ouch
Old April 17, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's good to hear. I'm hoping my 1187 likes them. I've been shooting the Core-Lokt Ultras for a couple years because they have the best ballistics, besides the newer Winchester Supremes which my gun hates. Considering that most (like 90%) of my shots are at less than 50 yards I was thinking that I'd rather use the Accutips since they are supposed to expand better. The one thing a shotgun is typically lacking is a bullet that actually puts the energy IN the target instead of exiting the other side with little or no evidence of expansion.

Don't forget to let us know what they do to flesh and blood.
Old April 17, 2009, 02:06 PM   #5
bwheasler

So true

The only time I recovered a slug was from a frontal shot, and when I opened the deer, it wasn't pretty. I can't wait to see how they perform on kudu. I'll let you all in a couple weeks. With the 58 cal still at 385gr the jacket has to be thinner, aq nd the holes in baslistic tip should catch the liquid in the animal and give it a hydroshock type of wound, I hope.
Old April 20, 2009, 01:01 PM   #6
trooper3385

I would definetly recommend taking another weapon with you to Africa, or atleast take a rifle along with you. I went last year with my wife and two other friends. We all shot 5 to 6 animals each. The four wart hogs we shot were under 100 yds. On the rest of the animals, the shortest shot was about 250 yds. The animals over there do not compare to the ones in N. America as far as there instincts and being wild. Where you will be hunting, it might be different, but where we were at, we would have been severly handicapped with a slug gun. For the amount of money you will pay for a hunt of a lifetime Africa, I would most definetly take the right equipment.
Old April 20, 2009, 09:59 PM   #7
FrontSight

If you want accurate, cheap, effective slugs, try Hastings Laser Accurate slugs. Insanely accurate (they mean it when they say laser), and only 8 - 9 dollars for 5.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:29 PM   #8
impact

bwheasler this year a friend of mine and I were at our lease. He carries a 870 with Remington 3 inch Accutips. At that time I had my 870 police with just Wolf slugs. We walked over to a section of the lease where no one hunts to do a little looking around. On the way we passed by this feeder that a bowhunter hunts at. This area is thick with brush and trees. As the feeder comes in sight at about 25 yards away he sees a hog. I see the hog when he said ****! Hog!. He's quick with his gun and gets a good shot on a hog that was about 125 to 150 lbs. I never did shoot. The hog took off squelling. We went over where he shot the hog and no blood. Went in the direction the hog ran and no blood. We looked and looked! No blood! We went back to where he shot the hog. Right where the hog was shot laying on the ground was the back half of the slug. The plastic tip was gone. The jacket and lead looked unaltered no damage no blood.

Still to this day I don't understand what happened? To strange. That 12ga should have taken that hog pretty easy.

I would take some backup ammo just in case something like this happens to you. Good hunting!
Old April 20, 2009, 10:35 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you want accurate, cheap, effective slugs, try Hastings Laser Accurate slugs. Insanely accurate (they mean it when they say laser), and only 8 - 9 dollars for 5.
Yeah, but the ballistics suck. I know, I know, it doesn't matter at 50 yards. I'm just to damn type A or something. I just can't give it up. There are those 2 or 3 places where I might get that 200 yard shot and if I'm shooting something that's not good at that range, well, there will be standing the 160 class 12-point, like the king of the world.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:33 AM   #10
GeauxTide

Would never take shotgun ballistics to Africa no matter what ammo. I'd ring out my .338-06.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:45 AM   #11
bwheasler

That's why it's a free country

That's because you are not a slug gun nut. Just as I wouldn't take a high powered rifle with me,as it would be no challege for me. I would rather hunt my ass off and get 1 or 2 trophys, rather than sit back and bang 6 or 8 from 200 or 300yds and they not even know you there. I'm not going for numbers, I'm going for my satifaction, which what I thought hunting was all about. This for all the midwest slug hunter who have had to use there slug guns for deer. We had no choice, and after using one every season 35 years I can git-r-done!
Old April 21, 2009, 12:24 PM   #12
taz1

wow i wish i could go!!

i think i would be scaired of those cute little kitties or a cuddly cape buff showing up and deciding to play with me.

with 8 kids a hunt like that is purely a dream for me.

i just had a wonderful idea!!!!!!

i could be your personal protection with a 416 ruger just in case somthing big and mean showed up.

wouldnt even have to pay me just cover the ( really small im sure ) cost of the trip. i'll even carry that pricey ammo for ya.

hell i would even wear one of those goofy outfits and hand you your gun, kemosabie.

have a blast and post pic when back.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:24 PM   #13
trooper3385

Better make sure you check with your PH or Outfitter before you show up with it. Some of them might not even let you use a slug gun. Some of them can be pretty picky, and rightly so. The first thing my PH wanted to see was our guns and know what kind of bullets we were using, then see me shoot it before he would take use hunting.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:39 PM   #14
fisherman66

Are you pullin' our collective legs?
Old April 21, 2009, 05:18 PM   #15
bwheasler

Oh He's in to it

He takes muzzleloader all the time, and he was all for it. He said nobody had ever asked. He said if you can shoot it, bring it. Ballistically not much different than our modern muzzleloaders. No leg pulling here, this is the real deal.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:44 AM   #16
trooper3385

"I would rather hunt my ass off and get 1 or 2 trophys, rather than sit back and bang 6 or 8 from 200 or 300yds and they not even know you there."

We hunted our ass off for 10 days to get what we got and even at 200 or 300 yds, they definetly knew we were there. Like I said, the animals in Africa don't compare to the animals in N. America as far as there instincts. That is the thing that amazed me the most about Africa. The animals in Africa would come into the watering holes at a dead run, stop and drink water for maybe 10 to 15 seconds and turn around and leave at a dead run. Most of the time, by the time you spotted them, they had already spotted you and all you saw was there back side running from you at about 500 yds away.
Old April 22, 2009, 09:18 PM   #17
impact

I know a guy that bow hunts in Africa with a recurve. He ownes a company and does really well. He goes about two times a year. He showed some pic's. Nothing big like a water buffalo. Deer looking game?
Old April 22, 2009, 11:56 PM   #18
trooper3385

You can do pretty well hunting in blinds at the watering holes there in Africa. A lot of the guys that went with us started out bow hunting and did ok hunting out of ground level blinds they had around the watering holes. Like I said before, you have to act quick when they come in. They don't give you much time to field judge them. Thats where a good PH comes in. I didn't go to Africa to spend 10 days in a blind though.