The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Grundy53

Remington 700 and 722 barrels interchangeable?

Hi all. I picked up a 722 barrel the other day in .222 rem. I've been researching a bit online and it seems like the 722 barrel will work on a 700 action. Am I correct? I would rather put it on an original 722 but might settle for 700 if feasible? From what I understand, since the 722 is the predecessor to the 700 almost everything is basically the same except the bolt handle, trigger guard, and bottom metal. Thanks for any help you could give me.
Old January 14, 2014, 05:51 AM   #2
WardenWolf

A little Google-Fu gave me the answer. Someone asked this exact same question, with this exact same caliber, on another forum in 2011:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-609063.html

The answer is yes, a 722 barrel will fit on a 700. You will need to check the barrel alignment in order to get any iron sights to line up properly, though.

My only question is why are you looking to build a NEW .222 rifle? The .223 is so much more common and has so many different ammo choices available that I really don't see the point. You're essentially spending money to build a rifle in an obsolete caliber when a new one could be had for around the same price (after gunsmith fees).
Old January 14, 2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Grundy53

I already have a .223. I have always wanted a .222.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:03 AM   #4
WardenWolf

E.R. Shaw offers new-production barrels in .222 for the Remington 700. They're a well-respected company and whatever you get from them will be lightyears better than a 1962 (the year the 722 was discontinued) or earlier factory barrel. Particularly one that's likely used. They also offer barrel installation services for just $118, about half the price a normal gunsmith will charge you. Just send the receiver to them and they'll professionally install whatever barrel you buy.

Really, if you're building a NEW rifle, from the ground up, it's probably better to spend a little extra cash to do it right and get a new one with modern tolerances. No sense using an ancient barrel.