The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 24, 2007, 05:05 PM   #1
zpurdy

food plot

i just bought a 2.5 lbs bag of forage rape and turnip brassica seed for a food plot, i just wanted to hear your guys opinions on this seed mix and if anyone's had any experience with it, and between spring or fall which season is better for it.
Old March 24, 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
MEDDAC19

Not sure about the rape but the brassica will not get hit hard by the deer until after it has been hit by frost. The leaves become sweet after they have been frozen one or twice, I think it has something to do with the starches in the plant being broken down into sugars and carbs.

Brassica is planted in the north in the late summer for consumption in the late fall and early winter, at least in my neck of the woods. Once the frost has hit though the deer move in and mow it down.
Old March 24, 2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Clayfish

Save that for your winter plot. Plant your spring and summer plots with beans and corn. I get the cheapest bean I can find because in a couple weeks it's going to be gone. Experiment with added seeds like watermelons and such till you find what else they like. I plant three times in the spring and summer and then just before season starts plant my brassicas and greens. Don't expect the deer to touch your greens until after the first frost. It's always a good idea to establish a clover too. The deer here like white clover better than crimson and the good thing with clover is it will come back year after year. My peas came up with the rain we got this week and already one of my plots is about 1/4 eaten. Don't expect peas to last long.
Old March 25, 2007, 01:41 PM   #4
zpurdy

so what do you guys think i should plant in the spring that would be cheap and effective.
Old March 25, 2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Clayfish

Peas or beans and a little corn mixed in.