The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Casey August

Winchester 1300--deeper magazine cap or extender ring

I was surprised to find that I sometimes couldn't click the trigger on my Winchester 1300 defender 12 gauge shotgun.

it turned out that the problem was that the barrel didn't fully seat in its position into the receiver (when I pushed the barrel to fully seat it, I could click with the trigger). I could see no adjustments that would keep the barrel fully seated.

The best solution seemed to be to get a deeper/longer magazine cap, which could then force the magazine bracket (and the barrel to which it's attached) into the fully seated position of the barrel.

If a longer/deeper cap isn't available, maybe I could insert a spacer ring (about 1/8" wide) between the magazine cap and the magazine bracket.

Does anyone know where I could get such a deeper magazine cap or a 1/8' wide spacer ring to fit the 1" magazine tube.

Thanks in advance--if I don't solve this, I may have to face a bear on my upcoming Yukon camping trip--with a shotgun that freezes when I NEED it.
Old June 9, 2012, 07:23 PM   #2
dwaawd

I have 3 factory 1300 magazine caps(plain, stud, front swivel/stud) and 1 Uncle Mike's swivel cap. They all measure 3/4inch deep. My magazine extends from the front of the barrel lug 11/16 inch which would allow 1/16" compression against the lug pushing the barrel into the reciever as you tighten the cap.

Is this a recent purchase?
Old June 10, 2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Casey August

jammed spring retainer of a Winchester 1300 shotgun

Thanks for your input, which suggested that something else might be wrong.

So I removed the magazine cap and found that the magazine spring retainer (which inserts into the magazine tube before the magazine cap is screwed over it) was sticking out of the magazine tube by about 1/4". Now I'm trying to remove and re-insert the spring retainer so that its surface is exactly flush with the threaded end of the magazine tube. That would allow the magazine cap to be screwed fully in untilit bottoms against the threaded end of the magazine tube, which would cause the barrel to fully seat and allow the trigger to be clicked.

PS: The gun was serviced by an authorized dealer 3 years ago, with little use in between. I'd never even removed the magazine cap (which conceals the problem of the non-flush spring retainer).

Tags
shotgun adapters , winchester 1300