The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Lilswede1

Lubed brass - last how long

Need to do minor adjustment to .223 brass (expand neck slightly) and am lubing inside and outside of brass to run it thru Rockchucker.
Brass has previously been prepped and cleaned so was wondering if I needed to relube brass when time comes for loading?
Putting adjusted brass in ziploc bags of 100 ea. and storing them inside house.
How long will they last.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Major Dave (retired)

Lube is aplied only when getting ready to size it

After sizing is completed, the lube should be removed - usually by rolling the brass over a soft,damp cloth, then rolling it over a soft dry cloth. A Q tip (cotton swab) should be used to remove lubricant from inside the neck of each piece. Once with a damp swab, and then again, with a dry swab.

Once the lube is removed, and the brass is dry, you can store it for decades, as long as it is not exposed to humid conditions.

When you get ready to load, just seat a primer in the back end, put an appropriate amount of powder inside, and seat a bullet (no lube required) in the neck.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); January 27, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
MR-7-45

If you want to run it through a sizer again, I always put a very light coat of lube on the brass. I put it on with my thumb and forefinger and put a very light coating in the neck with a cotton swab.

I find rolling them on a lube pad tends to lube them unevenly.

There are some spray lubes available but I find them wasteful and again uneven application unless you are really careful.
Old January 28, 2012, 02:13 AM   #4
bbqncigars

Prior to resizing, I put my clean brass in a ziploc bag and spray some lanolin/alcohol case lube (like the Dillon stuff). A few quick shakes, dump them out on a tray, and they're good to go once the lube has dried a few minutes later.
Old January 28, 2012, 03:24 AM   #5
dacaur

Quote:
Brass has previously been prepped and cleaned so was wondering if I needed to relube brass when time comes for loading?
You only need to lube for full length sizing, not for loading, so no worries there.

As far as how long it will "last". Longer than you will remember its there, especialy with how you are storing it.... Thats assuming you are not using "green" (lead free) primers....
Old January 28, 2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Nevmavrick

They'll last a loooong time, but, not decades as ther necks will "relax" after a while.
I clean mine by tumbling then storing. That way they are clean and dry inside and out.
Have fun,
Gene