The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 10, 2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Win1892

Win94 30-30 Ackley feed problem

Got a Win 94 30-30 that has been rechambered for 30-30 Ackley Improved. Gun is mid 1940's vintage. Gun cycles standard 30-30 flawlessly, but will not "lift" the AI case through the left and right cartridge guides without binding.

It seems the blown out case is too large in diameter to pass through the guides. I assume the fix is to widen the gap between the guides by removing some steel from the inside surface of the guides.

This gun was bought at a gun show, as a standard 30-30, dirt cheap and I later discovered I was fireforming brass with every shot. Secured correct AI dies and have discovered this feeding problem.

Thanks in advance
Old April 10, 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
javven

Makes me wonder why it was up for sale... perhaps the prior owner had the same issue?

Sounds like smith time - preferably one with some extensive lever-gun experience. Not being a lever-action shooter myself I'm not familiar with anyone specific.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:52 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe you can get a reply from those folks who assure us that changing to another cartridge of the same caliber requires nothing but a chamber reamer. Yes, reshaping the guides is a part of changing to the AI chamber, but it is often a matter of trial and error and lots of time and patience, not just grabbing a Dremel and going to work.

Finding a gunsmith who has done that work before would be nice. I would call several gunsmiths and see what they say. The alternative is to try to do the work yourself, but have at least one spare set of guides before starting work.

Jim
Old April 11, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Win1892

Removed the guide rails, used a drum sander in the Dremel , knocked off the factory machine marks and another couple of thousandths off each one and polished them up.

Gun cycles perfectly.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Nice going! Sounds like you hit it right the first time.

Jim