The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 26, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1
moisanfan11

yugo sks for $399 cheapest i've recently seen

I went to a local gunstore and was going.to look at ammo prices but found a yugo sks that was in good shape and still had cosmoline.. I know that sks prices are up and thought about getting it. Any thoughts
Old January 26, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

Do you actually want an SKS or 7.62x39 rifle? Or is this a "oh my gosh this is really cheap during a panic I better buy it now"
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 26, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3
WildBill45

Buy it!

REGRET makes for a nasty sandwich...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old January 26, 2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Rockhanger

The Yugo SKS is usually is cheaper than the others around here.
Maybe because some don't have a chrome lined barrell.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:42 PM   #5
ritepath

399 will seem like a steal in a few years if they have their way.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:37 PM   #6
moisanfan11

I want one because i have shot my dads a lot and like the rifle for the rifle not that panic stuff
Old January 26, 2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Hairbag

Its a fair price. I just sold a matching yugo on GB for $450 and I think it would have sold it for more. Is the one your looking at all matching numbered sks? and check the bore with a bore light. I doubt they will go down in price anytime soon.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:00 PM   #8
moisanfan11

I'm going to look at it again and probely going to get
Old January 26, 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Savage99

The SKS with a folding bayonet and flash hider was $475 in a CT gun store the other day.

That was the only one I have seen for sale of late.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:16 AM   #10
chadio

Get it - don't waste another minute trying to decide. Then go thru the whole rifle (clean / lube) and shoot it. I bet you'll like the SKS - I sure do
Old January 27, 2013, 11:15 AM   #11
stu925

Buy that Yugo. I picked mine up a year ago and it cost me $345 and I've seen them priced $400 and up prior to the current panic. I can only imagine what they're going for at shows now. Buy it, shoot it, love it. Check out the Murrays firing pin mod too, it adds a spring to the firing pin to reduce the chance of slam fires if that's a concern for you.

Stu
Old January 27, 2013, 02:42 PM   #12
Hairbag

Yeah what Stu says Murrays firing pin all the way!
Old January 27, 2013, 10:00 PM   #13
GunXpatriot

Guys, just out of curiosity, I just won this on gunbroker. WAS $410, but some jackass bidded me up...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=326542913

Yugo M59 (apparently in original config, not M59/66) with all matching numbers in the 40,000's except the trigger group (400,000). It does have gorgeous wood and is in great shape.

I don't know if matching numbers are a huge deal and I'm kind of finicky about those things. Should I worry about it?

I'm kind of beating myself up over this. I seen a nice chinese model which I could've gotten for $450, but out the door would have costed me $520. Out the door, this will cost me about $480, but I can ship to another FFL if I'm in the area, and it would be $465.

I could also be a jerk and not take it, but I've done that once and feeling bad, I immediately told I would pay the auction fee for the trouble. The seller agreed.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:28 PM   #14
Hairbag

For what it's worth I just sold a all matching yugo sks 59/66 on GB for $450 and I'm sure I could have fetched more. Check with widners online I think they are selling similar yugos but i forget the price. SAMCO has some of the nicest yugo's I've seen so far but it takes them forever to ship.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:33 PM   #15
tobnpr

Wow, is all I can say.

Value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

The AK's will be back to $600 before long, making the SKS's worth half that...

But I was wrong before, once...

Buy it if you honestly believe this "Assault Weapons" ban is going to come to fruition, because if it does in it's current form, you won't be able to get them after.

It also means they'll be worth exactly ZERO afterwards, because you won't be able to sell them....so keep that in mind. It would be the furthest thing from an investment you've ever made....

Me, I give the AWB exactly a zero chance, so I'm just sittin' back laughing in amazement at what guys are willing to pay for some of this "stuff".
Old January 28, 2013, 08:29 PM   #16
stu925

I like the look of the greander launcherless barrel of the 59, price seems a bit high to me for no matching but I doubt it's totally out of line. Survivor SKS boards would have more info on production numbers to see if the 59 is more rare than the 59/66 (I suspect the 59 is a little rarer). If you won it take it, you may not see another at that price since they're not making anymore of them.

Stu
Old January 28, 2013, 08:43 PM   #17
Justice06RR

at that price, buy it now and grab some ammo while you are at it. The SKS is a good rifle and usually understated and ignored, but I would not take it lightly.

I've shot my friend's SKS and like it a lot. For that price you should've bought it yesterday!
Old January 28, 2013, 08:54 PM   #18
USMCGrunt

I picked up $249 worth of cosmoline at Cabela's last year with a 59/66 thrown in for free! So I guess prices are on the rise. If I really wanted another one, I would probably jump at it since while panic prices may let off, there were only so many of them made and out of those, only so many imported and that importation can end with the stroke of Odumba's pen. Just those factors alone tell me that while the prices might drop a little (or maybe not), in the long run, the prices will only get higher. Just for reference, I bought a new Norinco SKS years ago for $80, a mint Russian SKS a couple years later for $200, an M44 in mint condition for $70 and within the last year and a half ago, I had extremely good luck at a dealer that didn't keep track of current prices and got a nice M38 for $125. Now go over to Gunbroker or Armslist and see what they are going for now. Yugo SKS rifles even in panic prices are still going to be cheaper today than they will be tomorrow as supply dries up and owners don't want to sell what they have.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:37 AM   #19
Mr. James

Son of a gun. I bought some Yugo SKS 59/60s with the eeeeevil bayonet and grenade launcher (yeah, right) some time back, maybe eight years ago. I paid $109 for them. Now, that wasn't all that long ago. This just convinces me to buy more ammo and not sell guns unless I need a kidney!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old January 29, 2013, 09:09 AM   #20
Greguw

I think its just a hype on guns for now , 400 bucks was a nice Russian sks a few months ago .
The prices will settle down in months to come but ammo is going to be pricey . Look at 4years ago just before the election everyone started to panic then .
All the manufactures have going into overdrive in firearms production , the market is going to be flooded , especially when some dealers are asking all most 3 times the price .
Old January 29, 2013, 09:31 AM   #21
USMCGrunt

Quote:
All the manufactures have going into overdrive in firearms production
Maybe, but no one is making the SKS any more.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:12 AM   #22
tobnpr

True.

But there are millions of them out there, and like any firearm, it's value- other than rare ones that might have a collectible value- will be driven as compared to other rifles.

When things settle down, and you can once again build/buy an AR for $700, I'd never dream of spending $500 for a 50 year old beat SKS. With over 15,000,000 made, their sheer numbers rival the Mosin-Nagant.

Thing is, this panic buying has made guys buy- and overpay- for rifles they had no intention of buying before, but just "had to have"...just "because"...

When things return to normal shortly, the guys with the three SKS's they paid too much for sitting in their safe are going to want something else and dump them back onto the market.

Supply/Demand, and the prices set by the normal markets, will return.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:17 AM   #23
Greguw

I really liked the Yugo SKS only bad thing was a non chrome lined barrels . I picked my yugo for $160 ... I actually had 5 of them and sold them but one , it paid for mine and some ammo .
I have 2 Russian one 1954 and one 1955 and a chinese early manufactured , nice piece but the Russian are my favorite .
Old January 29, 2013, 01:47 PM   #24
TankBu5ter94

Does that gun store happen to be a Turners Outdoorsman because my dad just picked one up for that exact price about 2 weeks ago. I got my first look at it barely yesterday and it was an unissued Yugo with surprisingly very little obvious cosmoline most likely some on the inside. He was happy with it and I liked it a lot so if your really thinking about an sks I would jump on it considering who knows what the future might bring.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:51 PM   #25
Ifishsum

The prices will probably go down a little when the current crap blows over, but you won't get hurt near as bad on that as the guys paying $1800 for a basic AR right now....Nobody is making new SKSs and they have been steadily rising in price, well before the recent panic.

Honestly, if the S really did hit the F and I could only choose between my SKS and my AR - I'm not so sure I wouldn't grab the SKS. Definitely a more rough and tumble design.

Last edited by Ifishsum; January 29, 2013 at 07:57 PM.