The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 23, 2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Kimio

Who has the best quality representative of the original AK47?

I was wondering who would be considered the best manufacturer in terms of producing a quality AK47.

My research has led me to believe Arsenal is of course the premier vendor, along with VEPR amongst the top tier Kalashnikov family of fire arms manufactureres. However I'd like to know if there are other ones.

I'm doing my homework right now and just gathering information, but essentially, I'd like to find an AK47 with the slant cut flash suppressor and wooden furniture like the way Mikhail Kalashnikov originally designed the rifle.

The closest thing I've found so far is the Arsenal SA M-7 Classic that goes for about two grand or more.

Other examples I've seen are of heavily modified VEPR rifles (Which in the hands of a quality smith, are quite impressive according to reviews)

Is there anyone else I should consider? I know for custom AK style rifles, Krebs also makes some superb firearms if we were to go into having rifles built by a talanted and skilled smith.

Last edited by Kimio; October 23, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old October 23, 2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Rifleman1952

Red Jacket Firearms has a reputation for making some high quality AKs.

The one at the link below is their Russian Red Classic and seems to come pretty close to what you are looking for at $1349.

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/ind...emart&Itemid=4

Last edited by Rifleman1952; October 23, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
darestie

I like arsenals but my VEPR build set me up with very similar options for less money. Its a gorgeous rifle and probably shoots better than an arsenal. I keep telling the AR fanboys that I know that you can't judge the AK until you've tried one that was built right. After firing my VEPR they all want one now. Plus it just seems right buying an AK made in Russia by the people who know it best.

So I say go with a VEPR and convert it. If you don't want to do it yourself, Krebs makes some nice VEPRs but I think they start at $1500+.

Also Atlantic has a nice red wood style converted VEPR. I don't know who does the work but it's priced right.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/inde...=23&Itemid=814
Old October 23, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Dead

Aimsurplus.com

They have an arsenal listed for $999. It is milled just like the ak47...
Old October 23, 2012, 10:53 PM   #5
chris in va

I had a Saiga conversion. If I had to do it over again, it would be a VZ 58.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Eghad

I spent $269.00 bucks back in the day on an AK 47. I added an Ultimak Rail. polymer furniture and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. It is what it is. No way I am laying down $1000 to $2000 on an AK-47. I would rather buy or build and spend that kind of money on a .300 AC BLK or a Sig in 7.62.39 or the new RRA LAR 47.

NRA Life Member