The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 28, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
KC Rob

#1 Rule of Concealed Carry

Carry your gun.

I admit that I sometimes get lazy and don't carry when I leave the house. I'll give myself the old "I'm just running to the store real quick" excuse or come up with another reason why I don't need to have a gun with me.

This really hit home last week when a gentleman in my neighborhood was murdered on his morning walk. For those of you in the No. VA area, I am sure you heard about this. Basically a gentleman in his late 50's, former Green Beret and concealed carry permit holder was walking with his wife in Loudoun county VA, about as crime free, upscale neighborhood as you could find (Loudoun county is the 2nd richest county in the U.S. right behind neighboring Fairfax Co.) when he was attacked by several thugs for unknown reasons. He was beaten to death and his wife was so severely beaten she has not yet been able to speak and was in critical condition last I heard. It was around 5:30am on a walking path alongside a major road and right alongside homes. In fact the police were called because people in those homes could hear the fighting. The police arrived to find him dead and his wife on the opposite side of the 4 lane road where she had run to escape to the assault before she collapsed in the back yard of a home after scaling a 4 foot fence. Police are saying they have no leads, no motive and it appears to be completely random. It happened about 2 blocks from my house. No one knows what exactly went down but I have to believe that if he had been carrying his weapon there is a chance things would have ended up differently.

So, I am going to stop making excuses and carry my weapon every time when I leave the home so that my wife doesn't have to explain to my kids why daddy is not coming home. It just goes to show that there is no such thing as a "bad neighborhood", if it can happen here, it can happen any where.
Old March 28, 2009, 06:21 PM   #2
georgiaboy47

While I don't know the area or know anyone from that area, it does hit home a little bit. Usually people don't do something cause they never think it will happen to them. We all need to be in this mindset or else more crimes will be committed.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 28, 2009, 06:29 PM   #3
chemgirlie

Everything does seem so far away and surreal in the media until it actually affects you. Just last year there was a woman my age who was brutally stabbed/beaten to death just a few blocks away from where I lived at the time. Scary part is that they still haven't caught the person who did it, nor do they seem to have any ideas as to who it was.
Old March 28, 2009, 06:30 PM   #4
orionengnr

One of the guys on the TX CHL forum has a sig line which reads: "Carry 24/7 or guess right."

Can't put it any better than that.
Old March 28, 2009, 06:33 PM   #5
BMSMA

"Be prepared."

That's the motto I live by.
Old March 28, 2009, 06:47 PM   #6
cracked91

carry a gun of decent potency that holds alot of bullets, and try to recognize the threat before it hits you, 7 or 8 people could easily rush you, not that they would, if you were just carrying a 5 shot snubby. I don't frown on that at all, and in this case it would have saved his life, I just prefer room for error
Old March 28, 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
andyjs3589

I am only 20 so I don't have my ccw permit yet. I plan on carrying everywhere I am legally allowed to. While I wish that I will never have to use it I will still carry it. It is the same reason I wear a seatbelt, never think/wish I am going to need it. But just in case I need it I am prepared.
Old March 28, 2009, 08:40 PM   #8
MrClean

Wow. That does hit close to home for me. My in-laws live in Fairfax county... a small little quaint town called Clifton. Just goes to show us all.... we live in a false sense of security/reality at times.

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old March 28, 2009, 08:43 PM   #9
skydiver3346

Murdered while walking with his wife....

This is so very tragic. Out and out murder. When a man can't go for a nice walk with his wife (anywhere for that matter) without being killed by a bunch of low life dirt bags, then you know there is definitely something wrong with our society. This really pisses me off reading this. So much so I can't describe it (as I was once a Special Forces soldier myself). Maybe we lose lives in combat from time to time, but this is so different. Just taking a stroll and the beat your brains out for what????
Yes, sometimes I must admit I don't carry (when maybe I should) but this is a stark reminder that we have to be aware, alert and ready to defend ourself and our loved ones 24/7, no matter where you are these days. I will be!
Old March 28, 2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Keltyke

First rule of a gunfight - bring a gun.
Old March 28, 2009, 11:56 PM   #11
kno3mike

Hope they catch and burn the vermin....my handgun is like my American Express card....never leave home without it....
Old March 29, 2009, 12:10 AM   #12
Radioman

#2 Rule of Concealed Carry

Don't be afraid to use it when the time comes

Its been said many a time and it needs to be said many more times to make sure everyone knows it. If you choose to carry be ready and willing to accept that someday you might just have to pull it and use it. This includes all the legal and emotional issues that will follow a self defense shooting.

Radioman
Old March 29, 2009, 12:32 AM   #13
davem

So......why don't some of you guys carry if you are licensed? My problem is I live in the sunbelt, really hot weather so the average garb is a golf shirt sneakers, and either long pants or shorts. I hate wearing a shirt on the outside of my pants- which in a hot climate is about your only option- you can then wear an in-the-pants holster.
A shoulder rig- shows through a light weight shirt.
Ankle holster- a PITA to wear.
I have never really solved this problem, I've thought about a leather lined pocket on my pants with a Velcro top or zipper or some other arrangement but so far nothing seems to work well.
Any suggestions welcomed.
I think the reason a lot of us leave the gun at home is that we haven't figured out a workable carry mode.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:34 AM   #14
cz223

Dave M any gun is better than no gun at all

Yes, carrying a full sized gun and a couple of spare mags is a PITA. Carrying a Ruger LCP, or a Kel-Tech is not, even when wearing just shorts. I put mine in my left front pocket every morning when I get up and it stays there until I go to bed. It is even there when I am wearing my Glock 23 and spare mags, which is about %80 of the time. The type of pants/shorts you wear can make a big difference when lugging a gun/gear around all day. Not everyone can wear jeans to work but there a lot of Cargo style pants, and shorts, out there that will work for many that work in an office that offer more room in the pockets and more of them.

Last edited by cz223; March 29, 2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
So......why don't some of you guys carry if you are licensed? My problem is ...
Search the forum for summer carry options. Realize that you may have to make some changes in your life in order to carry. If your posts reflects your actual perspective, then you may not yet be very serious about the concept of concealed carry.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:39 AM   #16
Deet

Hot weather only affects how I carry, not if I carry. A small pocket gun can always be carried no matter what the temperature.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:47 AM   #17
davem

Thanks for the feedback to all but I was hoping for some specific info. The left front pocket, if you tuck in your shirt won't the handle of the gun be visible? The big baggy pants or the casual shirt worn outside the pants- that's okay for a day off of work when you can wear such garb but sometimes you have to have a shirt tucked into the pants. I've been thinking about making something myself- sort of a spandex waist band with a holster that's worn over your undershirt/underpants, then you put on your pants and tuck in your shirt - to access the gun you would need to un-button one button on your shirt- reach inside. Has anyone tried anything similar to that and how well did it work?
The other option I've thought about is a cell phone carrier- you see people with them on their belts- maybe get one that could handle a small pistol.
In any event, if any of you live in a hot climate- what do you do?
Old March 29, 2009, 08:48 AM   #18
jpoolsmyd2

Damn Buzz, I didn't know that guy was a CHP holder!!

I know that area of VA well - Landsdowne. It is a pretty upscale community and very very safe. I have many co-workers who live there. I have been to dinners at their houses in that community.

The scary think is that it reminds me of my own community. I am going to rethink my routine when leaving the house from now on. This is a reminder that terrible things can happen ANYWHERE. In fact, I'm not surprised that upscale neighborhoods are being targeted. More money, less percieved threat... If I were a criminal perhaps I would target these areas, too.

Anyway, thanks for the post. As a fellow NoVA resident I will change the way I view safe areas and alter my carry strategy accordingly.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:57 AM   #19
JustKev55

Carry Concealed

I can't carry concealed where I work and I can get terminated for even having a firearm in my vehicle on company property so five days a week I am unarmed. I've got a shoulder rig for my BH but a large frame revolver with a 6 1/2" barrel isn't going to conceal in warm weather. Ain't gonna happen. Fortunately for me, I live in Maine where the crime level isn't what it seems to be growing to south of here. At the same time, we've had home invasions where unspeakable things have happened to elderly, children and mentally challenged so the crimes we used to just read about from the big cities are coming our way. I haven't gotten a CCP yet, only want it for the BH so I can carry when hunting and won't have to load/unload as I get in and out of my truck. I can see where I might have to bite the bullet (as the saying goes) and get a more concealable handgun and get the CCP just so I'll have the means available to protect me and mine.

Makes me sick to think it's necessary, but I'd rather be sick than dead. :barf:
Old March 29, 2009, 09:15 AM   #20
LightningJoe

Quote:
I think the reason a lot of us leave the gun at home is that we haven't figured out a workable carry mode.

I live in Texas where it is literally hot as hell. I recommend strong-side front pocket carry all year round. This carry mode has significant tactical advantages and it also allows you to wear shorts and a tee shirt.

Pocket carry will rule out a 1911 with a 5" barrel. I've found an aluminum-framed, snubnose .38 works best for me. Some like small automatics, but I find they print, unless you have a really good holster. Then, they still print, but they look like a really good holster instead of a gun. My conclusion: If you're thinking about pocket-carrying something the size of a PPK, you might as well carry a Glock 20 in a fanny pack.

Really, really small automatics are a different story; you can pocket carry something like an LCP.

But, all things considered, I think a snub in the pocket is best.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:19 AM   #21
mrt949

I carry every day .I feel naked without .It is the best habbit to get into. The one time you forget you will need it GOD FORBID. BUT IF YOU HAVE IT THATS WHAT COUNTS.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:23 AM   #22
hkguy

If you have the option to conceal carry, there is the option (in most states) to open carry. For those in the hot weather, let the scum know to let this one go.
Old March 29, 2009, 09:31 AM   #23
2cooltoolz

I don't pick up my gun as I walk out the door.

It's already in my pocket. I keep my LCP or PM9 in my pocket when I'm watching TV! If I leave the house it's the PM9, or occasionally an S&W 442. Everytime. Nobody calls me paranoid, because nobody knows. But you guys and my wife.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:14 AM   #24
skydiver3346

Good question Davem:

I too live in sunny Florida and its hard conceal carry a larger gun on you when its really hot weather, etc. I recently purchased a very small and lightweight "Mouse" type weapon (Rohrbaugh .380) to help address this concern. It is extremely reliable, accurate and lightweight. It fits in my front right side pocket easily and does not pull down my shorts like a heavier gun would. The Keltec, Ruger LCP and others similar in size are good choices for you. Bottom line, It may not be my preferred .45 auto but I feel I need to carry a gun of some kind (which is better than nothing at all when and if the time ever comes to defend yourself/family).
Old March 29, 2009, 10:53 AM   #25
LightningJoe

Quote:
I recently purchased a very small and lightweight "Mouse" type weapon (Rohrbaugh .380) to help address this concern.

You're putting .380 Auto in your Rohrbaugh?