The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2002, 10:30 AM   #1
Bogie

.44 mag vs. .45 colt in 16-20" lever rifles?

Okay, guys - can I load the .45 to "ruger" pressure levels for a lever action? Otherwise, I'm gonna go with the .44.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old April 9, 2002, 11:02 AM   #2
Stryker

.45 Lever Action

I have a M94AE in .45 Long Colt and I use the loads listed for Rugers and Contenders and have never had a problem. I tried a load a friend uses in his SuperBlackhawk that he got from these pages and it was a little too hot. I get about 1600-1700 fps with a 240-250 grain jhp. However I have experienced penetration problems with that load on hogs and have gone to hard cast 250 grain SWC at about 1300 fps and had better luck. The loads listed, when chrono'd in my rifle, show to beat the .44 mag when it's fired in a pistol but I don't know about a rifle. I suspect the .44 might be a little better. but if it is it's probable not much. I got the .45 because I already had a replica .45 and a .454 Casull thus had dies and bullets. I like it because you can do so many things with it. Good luck deciding.
Old April 9, 2002, 11:33 AM   #3
Bogie

Well, I'm considering use of some of the big 300+ grainers...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old April 9, 2002, 11:45 AM   #4
Rick R

I bought a Winchester 94AE and one of my shooting pards bought a Rossi Puma both in .45 Colt last spring for some Cowboy shooting. The Rossi seems to be better made and I understand it's a copy of the Winchester M92 and will take warm loads.

I loaded some 300gr Speer JSP bullets at near max and my Winchester really let the brass swell near the base. A gunsmith friend of mine says that the Winchesters have oversized chambers. We fired some of these in the Rossi without problem.

I do like the .45 Colt round but I guess if you're going to use it in a rifle you need to pick the right rifle. BTW those 300gr's really thumped a 18" square steel plate we had at 50 yards

HTH

Rick