The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 10:40 PM   #1
daddySEAL

DIY Removal of Long Glock Trigger Pull

I looked a video, and another website showing "the Glock Adjustable Trigger", and noticed the effect the adjusting hex head screws had on the trigger housing...namely inside the slot that controls the trigger travel.

It essentially modified the opening that the cruciform on the trigger bar slides into, and limited it's range of travel...both creep(before) and after travel (after firing).

So, not wanting to spend the $100+ for the adjustable drop in trigger. I limited the travel range simply by using a tiny bit of JB Weld in the slot of my Glock...and it worked perfectly, after some dremel tool slight "adjustment" to the JB Weld.

Please forgive my crude drawing below.
The black is the stock slot, show green as areas where JB Weld was added to limit the trigger travel.

click on title----->http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z296/daddySEAL/
Old October 10, 2012, 09:47 AM   #2
TAKtical

I buy the glockworx fulcrum trigger kit for my glocks. I prefer the flat metal trigger over the stock plastic. I always wondered if there was a cheaper alternative.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 10, 2012, 10:21 AM   #3
TunnelRat

I'm sorry, but I can't understand what world people live in when they consider a Glock trigger pull "long".
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 10, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
presspics

Glad that worked out for you. I personally would be concerned of the JB Weld cracking and jamming up the trigger at the worst possible time.

I'm looking at the Glockworx Fulcrum when I get some extra cash. I HATE the feel of the factory trigger with that stupid safety lever that doesn't sit flush when squeezing the trigger. I wish Glock had the same style finger pad trigger that the M&P has. Much more comfortable design.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I can't understand what world people live in when they consider a Glock trigger pull "long".
I also can't understand the point of buying a Glock and trying to "improve" the trigger feel. It's like trying to soup up a Ford Taurus. Just doesn't make sense. The Ford Taurus does it's job extremely well, but if you want something sportier, you are better of just getting that to begin with.

There are so many great polymer pistols out there that have good (amazing in the case of the Walthers) triggers out-of-the box. These include the Walther PPQ & P99, various CZs, M&Ps with new-style triggers, XDm, SR9C, Caracal, etc.

But to each his own.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:23 AM   #6
presspics

QUOTE "I also can't understand the point of buying a Glock and trying to "improve" the trigger feel. It's like trying to soup up a Ford Taurus. Just doesn't make sense. The Ford Taurus does it's job extremely well, but if you want something sportier, you are better of just getting that to begin with."

Not a good analogy.....If you want to soup up a Taurus then you buy the Taurus SHO. The Glock is the Taurus SHO of the gun world
Old October 10, 2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
Not a good analogy.....If you want to soup up a Taurus then you buy the Taurus SHO. The Glock is the Taurus SHO of the gun world
Then you should just buy a SHO to begin with.

The Glock is just the standard Ford Taurus, though. Not the SHO. That would be the XDm.

The P99 would be the BMW M3 of this analogy, however.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:43 PM   #8
YARDDOG(1)

"[DIY Removal of Long Glock Trigger Pull]"

And I thought my Sigma triger was long

Y/D
Old October 10, 2012, 01:58 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
The P99 would be the BMW M3 of this analogy, however.
So you're saying the people that own the P99 are conceited and think that spending more money makes them better than other people? I jest, I jest.

Glock stock trigger is fine, certainly good enough to achieve good accuracy. But I do agree with Fishbed that when you're talking about using JB Weld to improve a trigger, maybe the Glock wasn't for you in the first place.

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 10, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
So you're saying the people that own the P99 are conceited and think that spending more money makes them better than other people? I jest, I jest.
No. Just that the M3 is better at being a high-performance car than a Ford Taurus.

The P99 itself is in the same general ($500-600) price range as Glocks, XDms, PX4s, M&Ps, etc, etc.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:50 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
The P99 itself is in the same general ($500-600) price range as Glocks, XDms, PX4s, M&Ps, etc, etc.
So then your analogy doesn't apply, as a Taurus is much less than a BMW M3.
Old October 10, 2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Nanuk

Glock trigger long? That's a good one, try a Beretta trigger.

Soup up a Glock? There is no need, give it a crisper trigger, yup everytime, but not with any JB weld just springs and a connector.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:45 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Overenthusiastic trigger stops can take the firing pin block out of engagement and make a Glock non-dropsafe.

Y'all be careful, now, you hear.

There are a lot of properly souped up Glocks out there.
No need to get on a box stock high horse, the gun can be improved.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:48 PM   #14
chris in va

Does this eliminate the frame flex? You can visibly see the plastic push out where the trigger bar rides inside the frame, giving it that mush feeling.
Old October 11, 2012, 02:04 PM   #15
daddySEAL

chris in va,
It has nothing to do with that, but my Glock does because I replaced the plastic guide rod, with a steel one.

Jim Watson,
Mine was "very minor", but noticeable...I did not get Overenthusiastic.

Nanuk,
It does have a crisp trigger, because I added a ghost 3.5 trigger connector.
Plus All new springs.
JB Weld is Incredibly tough and does Nothing but eliminate trigger pull, and reset length in the housing where cruciform slides into the slot. It is Not an impact area of the pistol.
I've put 400 rounds thru it since doing it...no change in JB Weld in the slot.

And to all those that said why bother...It's just my preference to have it that way, OK?

Last edited by daddySEAL; October 12, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Nanuk

Quote:
if you're a cop that is issued a Glock, you are stuck with the Glock. Not everyone wants to or can buy lots of different guns.
I actually gravitated to Glocks form other platforms; ie; 1911, H&K.

On every one of my Glocks I polish the engagement surfaces, install a 3.5 connector and change the springs. Who has not done that to a revolver or a 1911?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Pond, James Pond

If you've managed to make an improvement, as far as your concerned and done so safely and cheaply, then good! Everyone concerned is a winner.

I may have a look inside the next time I'm cleaning to see which bits you refer to.

However, for my part (and perhaps I was just lucky), I must say I find my trigger to have a decent break ( if not the best) and not really needing much travel. The reset, on the other hand is brilliant: on mine it is about 5mm and very distinct!!
Old October 13, 2012, 04:13 AM   #18
TAKtical

My glock is definitely a mutant. Glockworx trigger, race connector, firing pin safety and springs. SS guide rod, meprolight adjustable night sights, grip plug, custom back plate. And its OD green. But it is ultra reliable and extremely accurate for me because of the trigger work and sights. At 25 yards I can put 20 rounds in a three inch shoot-n-c
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 13, 2012, 09:38 AM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
My glock is definitely a mutant. Glockworx trigger, race connector, firing pin safety and springs. SS guide rod, meprolight adjustable night sights, grip plug, custom back plate. And its OD green.
Quote:
But it is ultra reliable and extremely accurate for me because of the trigger work and sights.
So it wasn't ultra reliable nor extremely accurate before all that stuff was put on? Man, how is it they get people to buy those things?