The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2013, 01:21 PM   #1
rebs

seating depth for an AR ?

I have loaded the same brand of bullet a 55 gr HP and seated them from 2.200 to 2.250 and see very little difference in accuracy. How can that be ? I would think there would be a big difference.
Old September 29, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2
jepp2

Quote:
I would think there would be a big difference.
Why? What is the OAL where you bullet would be touching the lands? The throat may be so long that 0.050" difference is negligible.

Might be the difference of being a long ways from the lands or a really long ways from the lands.
Old September 29, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Nathan

The lack of difference is that at your long OAL is like lands - 0.050". So, your short OAL will be even further from the lands.
Old September 29, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
cryogenic419

A thought...

How is the accuracy overall with this bullet you are using? Maybe the rifle isn't all that particular how its loaded.
Old September 29, 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
rebs

I realize you cannot reach the lands in an AR chambered for 5.56 but I thought the OAL would have made a bigger difference. This bullets shoots 1" and under at 100 yds. I guess I just thought OAL would have made a bigger difference.
Old September 29, 2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

It can, but it's not a gimmie. Also, a number of people report getting more than one seating depth sweet spot with a bullet. Usually one is closer to the lands and the other somewhere around 1 caliber seating depth, but you can read about examples where it turns out to be way back from the lands (see item 3, here). Berger, for example, has found as much as an eighth of an inch or so back is necessary with their secant ogive VLD designs. The more common tangent ogive designs tend to be a bit less picky, and that's why Berger now has a hybrid ogive shape available. You might want to read Berger's procedure for finding a seating depth sweet spot.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; September 29, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old September 29, 2013, 04:20 PM   #7
rebs

the link for Bergers didn't work
Old September 29, 2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Thanks. I fixed it. That forum's software has been changing what makes a link work. Sometimes wants "htm" and sometimes "html" at the end of the URL. Sometimes it wants an abbreviated post name included, sometimes not. This has broken a number of my saved shortcuts.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle