The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2009, 05:54 AM   #1
borninfire

Walther P22 - Another Victim

Gentlemen,

I've recently purchased a very sharp Walther P22 new from my local gun store, and I've got to say, I'm terribly disappointed.

Reading some other posts, I've heard everything from perfect experiences to stories similar to my own - with some interesting anomalies that i'd like to ask you folks about.

First of all, i've submitted a trouble ticket to S&W 'Walther' support, which I've heard is very responsive and professional.

Here are my issues, please feel free to comment where you'd like.

1.) The pistol jams. Sometimes after the bullet is fired from the barrel, and sometimes before a round can be loaded (its stuck in the magazine).
2.) I've had bullets explode in the chamber blowing holes out of the side of .22lr shells due to improper loading and execution of the firing mechanism.
3.) Many empty shells will not eject properly, and in some cases reset themselves into the barrel as if they would be fired again, The gun does not cock in this situation, which is surely part of a very good design.
4.) ive been told that the P22 comes with 2 clips, mine came with one.
5.) I've been told that the P22 comes with a 'dowel' tool in order to assist with re-assembly after a field strip. Mine didnt.
6.) I have tried several types of ammo for the P22 after reading many forums, MAG, HOLLOWPOINT, brands, whatever. Everything jams with varying levels of severity.

I wanted to post this here to chronicle my experiences with S&W 'Walther' support. When I receive a response from them, I will post it here to let everyone know how it went.

The gun is a brilliant design, compact, a nice grip, a very nice laser is built for it, a very nice weight, I love it!

Its a ****ing shame I cant shoot it.

More to come!
Old February 8, 2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Croz

Well, hopefully S&W gets you straightened out quickly. The P22 seems to be one of those guns that are either great out of the box, or they give problems until they go back to the mothership for work.

Might want to go over to www.rimfirecentral.com and check out the Walther forum. A user over there compiled the "P22 Bible." Seems to be a pretty comprehensive guide to those guns.

Also might post over there. The same user who compiled the bible seems to know these things pretty well. Might be able to help.

As to the dowel and second magazine, sounds like you got a former display model that got stuck back in a box without the magazine or takedown tool.
Old February 8, 2009, 09:15 AM   #3
sserdlihc

Did you buy the gun used?
Old February 8, 2009, 11:08 AM   #4
borninfire

Quote:
sserdlihc - Did you buy the gun used?
No, I bought it brand new from Cabela's near my home. Cabela's isnt known for cheap prices, but I got a pretty good deal on this one.

Here's a photo of it.

Old February 8, 2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

It sounds like you got an earlier model that had bad mags. Im not sure how it goes but there are mags maked a and b, one of them are no good. I hope that is your problem because its an easy fix. Mine works with any kind of ammo and is accuarate enough for what it is. I have had malfuctions once but the gun was filthy, caked in lead fouling. The trigger leaves much to be desired, hopefully smith and wesson will give it a complimentry fluff and buff.

All that being said, when I bought the gun I did not expect it to run so well. It was acutally bought for my little brother. I took him to the gun store and told him to choose a 22, obviously he choose the walther. For what I was paying, what I knew about the gun and what we were told by the salesman, I didnt expect it to run like my sig. Its a $300 gun made from inexpensive materials, S&W even warns that after a certain amount of rounds (10,000 I think?) the gun is done. If I wanted a bulleyes shooter that would last generations, I would have bought a Ruger.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:56 PM   #6
JWT

Mine only came with two magazines and there was a plastic rod included that is used to get the return spring back in place during reassembly. Never had any problems with jams or other malfunctions since I took it out of the box. It will shoot fine with the Federal or CCI Blazer bulk pack ammo.

Apparently it's hit or miss with these little guns. Certainly home S&W / Walther corrects your problem for you. Good Luck.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:07 PM   #7
dalegribble

my son has one, he has brought it many times and fired 100's of rounds thru it each outing and never had a malfunction. he likes to empty mags as fast as he can just for the fun of it and he loves that little gun. he's pretty accurate with it too.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:20 PM   #8
kristop64089

I'm going to buy my second one today. They are fun little pistols. I wish I could say inexpensive, but they aren't. I have never had ANY issues with mine, other than what I thought was a premature wear spot in it. So I sold it. Well, my wife really loved shooting it, so I'll replace it. I have had every current production 22, and the P22 fits the bill the best.

I would definitely let S&W know about it, they have an EXCELLENT warranty dept. If one of their guns is screwing up, I bet they'd like to know.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Firepower!

I have one and it runs perfectly thus far
Old February 8, 2009, 02:39 PM   #10
kalstrand

Early on mine jammed and had feed issues. After awhile all those issues went away. I can't say how many rounds but after it got broken in a bit the jams quit. I still get jams if the gun needs to be cleaned though.
Old February 8, 2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Ralph Allen

My P22 also had a few issues when new. I can tell you from experience that if you call S&W, they will send a pickup tag, repair your gun and send it back to you, all no charge and done within 2 weeks. Mine has been great since I sent mine in almost 2 years ago. I would suggest when you send it in that in your note you mention the missing parts, and the dealer who sold it to you in this condition. Couldn't hurt, and you'll probably get replacements free of charge.
Ralph
Old February 9, 2009, 12:05 AM   #12
Stan200

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. I love mine and have never had a problem. I hear S&W support is great. Let us know.
Old February 9, 2009, 03:27 AM   #13
Elvishead

Sounds like my new Beretta Bobcat 22lr. Hopefully I can work out the kink's, as the gun really challage's me, which makes it a great warm up gun.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:02 AM   #14
borninfire

Well I posted my grievance with S&W on Friday 2/6, today is Monday 2/9 and no response. Just wanted to update
Old February 10, 2009, 07:17 AM   #15
kristop64089

Call S&W, That is your best bet! I just bought my other P-22, and the guy that looked at it before me, broke it down and lost the recoil spring.
Well, I called S&W and told them what happened, and a new one is on the way!
Old February 10, 2009, 01:11 PM   #16
joe58

I would have to say The dealer stuck you! This pistol comes w/all tools The problem your having sounds like the bbl. is loose!I have a P22 like yours and I have extra 5" bbl. I have never had a problem with it mine came w/tools an 2 mags factory fresh etc.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:12 PM   #17
fastshotivy

Sound like to me your Dealer or the person you got the gun from SCREWED you ....
Old February 10, 2009, 09:29 PM   #18
#1 Moses

My girl friend and I each bought one brrand new same night same deal same Serial number range, One shot great the othe was a crap shoot, hers shot great mine was lousy a friend saw it and begged me to sell it to him i sold it for what i paid tax & reg, he loves it i took the money a got a Browning Buck mark that a real 22 semi auto pistol runs flawless! I have a walther P-99 40S&W and my sister has one in 9mm both are great. i wish walther would have made the little p-22 a little better quality befitting the Walther name!
Old February 10, 2009, 10:03 PM   #19
THEZACHARIAS

Had some new-gun jitters (no misfires yet, couple bad rounds and a jammed rear sight adjusment screw), but nothing too serious. The mags feel a little cheap though, like they're just a touch too big for the rounds.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:23 PM   #20
Motownstan

I bought my P22 new about a month ago, it came with only 1 mag. I was surprised when I was looked at the fired case envelope it was dated July 2005, which matches the date on the receiver (AF). Anyway I fired about 400 rounds so far (all CCI mini-mag and stingers) and it hasn't missed a beat.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:29 PM   #21
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
he loves it i took the money a got a Browning Buck mark that a real 22 semi auto pistol runs flawless!
Huh?

Old February 14, 2009, 09:46 PM   #22
borninfire

Update,

After forcing about 600 CCI Mini-Mags down the P22, it rarely misfeeds. When it does, its usually on the last round. I find if I turn the magazine upside-down and tap it on the table a couple of times firmly I get a higher success rate.

Its got a very light trigger and its extremely fun to rapid fire.

I wouldnt say its terribly accurate, but its alot of fun.

Im going to have my gunsmith polish the crap of the ramp - maybe that will help some.

Overall I'm pleased with my purchase, and the MiniMags arent too expensive to purchase. I get a brick of 500 at Wal Mart for around $30. Thats opposed to around 25$ for federal stuff or Thunderbolt.
S&W says they only come with one mag now, so I didnt get screwed by Cabelas, basically the thing is if you got 2 mags, your mags should be replaced by S&W for free, if you got one mag, you have the new design and it doesnt require replacement.

By the way the S&W support guys were dicks and response was slow.
Old February 14, 2009, 11:20 PM   #23
Stan200

Just a quick not about that missing "dowel tool". It's garbage. If you get one through it away. Why they don't put the proper assembly method in the manual is beyond me.

Put the spring on the guide rod and insert it into the slide. Push it through so that you can grab the rod on the other side. Put the slide on the frame and let it go....done. If you know the trick it's very easy, if not you will curse.
Old February 15, 2009, 10:12 AM   #24
kristop64089

Quote:
S&W says they only come with one mag now, so I didnt get screwed by Cabelas, basically the thing is if you got 2 mags, your mags should be replaced by S&W for free, if you got one mag, you have the new design and it doesnt require replacement.
I don't believe this to be entirely true , and here's why.
I picked up my first P-22 in Feb of 2007, and it had 2 mags, that were the "updated" version, and we never had a problem.

I picked up my 2nd P22 a week ago, it has a 11/08 born on date, and 2 updated mags.

Check your born on date(if ya have the fired shell casing). S&W may only be including 1 mag, but they have all been "updated" for somtime now.
Old February 15, 2009, 10:49 AM   #25
chris in va

My friend bought one recently, the latest version. Thing was a lot of fun and shot flawlessly. However, the front sight is plastic and popped off, and the takedown slide snapped off (again, plastic). Be careful with it.

Tags
p22 , walther