The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2012, 10:05 AM   #1
bkhann

44 Mag and Red Dot

I am still working up test loads for my new S&W 629-6 5" 44 Mag revolver. I have 1000 ea Berry's plated .429 44 cal HP-DS bullets. I also hace a large quantity of Red Dot powder left over form shotgun loading.

I am looking for range, plinking 44 mag ammo; moderate loads.

Is Red Dot appropriate for this? Is it relatively clean shooting?

Thanks
Old January 24, 2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Slamfire

I shot Red Dot in the 44 Spl and it is a very accurate powder for target type loads in that caliber. I never developed target loads in the 44 Magnum but I have no doubt that Red Dot will work equally as well.
Old January 24, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3
rclark

Absolutely. Just did some testing with Red Dot and .44Mag 240g SWC. Don't have the data in front of me (it's at home) so won't quote load data here, but it is 'excellent' for target/plinking loads. I like Unique, used it for years, but will be loading Red Dot instead for my target loads.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 24, 2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

.44 Special and .44 Mag have what is, for practical purposes, the same maximum COL, and pretty much, if you use the same COLs, .44 Special loads will perform about the same in a .44 Mag case. Some makers may thicken the .44 Mag brass case heads a little, reducing capacity a little, but the .44 Mag would tolerate the slightly higher pressures that would result very easily.

Try 4 grains of Red Dot for a target load. 5 grains will give you a plinker with a little more oomph.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 24, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Sevens

Hint for Red Dot users: You can substitute Alliant Promo for Red Dot by weight (not volume), Promo is only available in 8-pound containers. It's probably the most economical powder on the market that isn't some kind of a surplus or pull-down re-packaged powder.
Old January 24, 2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I think the OP said he already has the Red Dot, but that's a good heads up for the future. How does Promo compare on metering and fouling?
Old January 24, 2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Sevens

I don't know! I have a buddy that uses piles of the stuff, but I've just gotten to like my large slew of powders so much that I've never given it a chance.

But I would assume that it meters much like Blue Dot and Green Dot which I do have... which is to say that my Lyman 55 does a fairly good job with them, but I know that I'm fortunate because many other measure really stink with these powders. My Hornady measure included.

To try Promo requires a bit of a leap of faith as it's 8 pounds or nothing... but you can snag those for typically under $90, so there's definitely a $$$ savings in there.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
rclark

Quote:
Try 4 grains of Red Dot for a target load. 5 grains will give you a plinker with a little more oomph.
Boy, those would be plinker loads . The tests I ran were from 6.5g, 7.0g, 7.5g, and 8.0g under 240g SWC which I thought were 'light' . Again, at work so the chrono data isn't available to post up right now.

Never have seen any Promo powder in any store I've been in.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 24, 2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Yeah. Those are cowboy action level. I note that Alliant recommends 6.5 grains for the .44 mag and claims 905 feet per second from it with a 7.5" barrel, which is fast enough for swaged lead. But you've got to experiment a little with these things. Mine was actually .44 Special that was mostly for offhand practice in a .44 Special Charter Bulldog, so light recoil and not much punch was needed if I wanted to shoot all afternoon. I probably should have upped them a grain for a heavier revolver frame.
Old January 24, 2012, 08:04 PM   #10
SHR970

I ran a batch of Xtreme 240 gr. plated flat round nose with 7.0 grains of R.D. through my 7.5" SRH. It was a decent plinker round with reasonable offhand accuracy. This was old formula R.D. that I was burning up and was surprised to find that it left the cases fairly clean and not too bad on the grey residue left on the gun. I wouldn't push it too much harder (maybe 1/2 grain) as this is a fast powder and you can jump pressures through the roof real quick with it.

Hercules book from 1992 shows 7.7 grains as max for 240 gr. soft point.
Old January 24, 2012, 08:13 PM   #11
rclark

Okay here my Red Dot load data for all that may be interested:

.44Mag 50th Flattop 6 1/2"

6.5g Red Dot, 240g SWC, CCI-300, _947fps, 11 SD, 32 ES, 15 Shots
7.0g Red Dot, 240g SWC, CCI-300, _990fps, 14 SD, 45 ES, 15 Shots
7.5g Red Dot, 240g SWC, CCI-300, 1048fps, _7 SD, 23 ES, 15 Shots
8.0g Red Dot, 240g SWC, CCI-300, 1080fps, _7 SD, 24 ES, 15 Shots

I've marked the 8.0g as accurate, but I think they all shot well. It was 32F at the time of test. All were loaded together (so crimp same), new Starline brass. Note I usually throw out an obvious high and/or low, but this case there was none.... So all 15 shots are accounted for in the above data!

FWIW...
Old January 25, 2012, 03:31 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Have been using Red Dot as my standard .38 SPL load (158gr@850+/-) for decades. Its a little dirty. In the bigger cases, I use Unique, because my preference for them is loads at midrange, and above.