The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 24, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1
emmett

J P Sauer and Sohn Parts

I have an older Sauer .22 pistol 6 shot - 2 cylinders - long rifle and mag. The timing is off and the spring is broken off of the hand thanks to a "smith" who took it apart and returned it out of timing and with a broken part. I am having a hard time finding that part. Any ideas where I might find parts for it? Thanks
Old December 25, 2008, 01:09 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Maybe here: http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/
Old December 25, 2008, 04:39 AM   #3
dutchy

Emmett,

Unfortunately I can not help you with the search for parts.
However, I think I have the same gun. It's a close copy of a S&W masterpiece, better made and with a ventilated rib, correct?
If the firing pin in NOT pinned into the frame with a pin visible from the side, it is of german manufacture. If the pin is visible, it is of later italian manufacture.
Sauer was bought a few years ago by some investors who really care about their product. I visited their works in northern Germany a few years back and they have quite a collection of old sauer made guns.
Yours and mine however was lacking. According to them, a .22 magnum cylinder was never manufactured. therefore they are not interested in buying one.
So I think we both have a rare item.
Mine shoots great and I use it regularly.
If you can get it fixed, it will be a good shooter.

If you need help for pictures of missing parts, I can disassemble mine and make pictures.

Have fun.
Old December 25, 2008, 02:41 PM   #4
ocharry

i have an old saur single action that i thought need a new hand,,i found it at

bob's gun parts,,,and he has springs for them too,,,,although these parts are getting really hard to find

my gun is one of the aluminum or pot metal or what ever it is with the steel liners,,,and it to was out of time,,,,but it wasn't the hand that was the problem,,on mine the ratchet had turned in the cylinder and was causing it to be out of time,,,mine may be different than yours though

any way check out ol bob he may have what you need

hope this helps you out

ocharry
Old December 25, 2008, 07:04 PM   #5
emmett

Thanks

Thanks for the information folks - I'll try Bob's. Interesting about the rachet turning in the cylinder, I did not look at that. I will check that out, although both cylinders do the same thing. Mine is one with the steel linings also. Interestingly enough, I gave it to the smith, who returned it not working properly to have it reblued. After the fact, he said that if they had tried to re-blue it, it would have melted the outer casting and ruined the gun. So, I have the gun but it does not work too well currently.
Old December 26, 2008, 11:07 AM   #6
ocharry

emmett,,,i guess i meant that the ratchet had clocked in the cylinder body,,,,it only moved a few degrees,,,but it was enough to keep it from catching the bolt when you cocked the pistol,,,the ratchet is pressed into the body of the cylinder,,well at least on my gun it is

i clamped the ratchet part of the cylinder in a little precision vise that i have and held the body of the cylinder in my hand and gave it a little twist ,,,,and to my surprise it did turn,,,just a little,,,,i turned the cylinder to where it stopped in a clockwise turn for the cylinder and a counterclockwise turn for the ratchet,,,put into the frame and cocked the gun,,,locked right up,,,so i made sure where it needed to be

then i was undecided as to how to keep it from moving again,,,,thought about pinning the ratchet,,,,but then i thought about staking it,,and the stake is what i did,,,i used a center punch on the muzzle end of the cylinder right at the break line of the two parts,,,(if you clean the cylinder up really well you will see where the two parts are),,,,i was going to only do two spots but after i did the two spots and tried it in the gun to make sure it was in time and the bolt was locking up,,, i went ahead and did six spots,,,,i used a #2 cut file to knock the high spots from the punch down flush,,,seems to work just fine now and when the gun is together you can't see the stake marks

hope this helps with your diagnosis,,,,and maybe your fix

ocharry
Old December 27, 2008, 12:55 AM   #7
radom

I have used a very skinny punch before to drive that spring out and then file out a new spring from some thin spring steel then stake the new one in. I have a old HD High Standard that used the same set up on the bolt lock and replaced that with a peice of just junk thin steel. That was over 30 years ago and it still runs fine.
Old December 27, 2008, 10:48 AM   #8
emmett

Thanks Ocharry

I'll give it a look. I appreciate the information.
Emmett
Old December 29, 2008, 11:12 AM   #9
emmett

Thanks Ocharry

Ocharry - thanks for the info. I moved the rachet in the cylinder and it now cycles fine. It took a few, actually a lot of tries to correct, but it is working now. I staked it at the correct location. Thanks very much.

Emmett