The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 1999, 06:48 PM   #1
umstud

I am getting into reloading for the first time. I have decided on the Dillon RL 550B progressive press. Can you experts tell me the absolute minimum stuff I have to purchase in addition to the press in order to get started and the best place to purchase these items. Also give info on "nice to have" items. I want to start as soon as possible.
Old November 18, 1999, 08:32 PM   #2
Trooper

Get some loading manuals, Speer or Lyman's 47th. Dies for each caliber, a scale to weigh powder charges, caliper for guaging OAL, brass, primers, bullets. If also loading rifle, get a trimmer and chamfer tool for case trimming and deburring. I would also recommend a case guage. You'll also need a tumbler, media and additive for cleaning/polishing brass. You'll need a sturdy bench to mount your press on as well as some place safe to keep your powder, bullets and primers.

Where to purchase? Check out Midway, Natchez and other shooting supply stores. Local gun shops and gun shows can be good places also.

For what it's worth, my advice is to slow down. There's more to it than just buying components and equipment. That pretty blue press will be calling to you to crank out some ammo, but first I encourage you to do some heavy reading on reloading---powder, primers, brass cases, bullets, etc. You need to know what kind of powder to use, how much, with what style and weight bullet, using how much of that powder, seating the bullet how deep, crimping or not crimping? There's a whole lot more. Reloading is a great pleasure and can save you some money most of the time, but the main thing is to be safe and accurate in your assembly of each cartridge. Spend some time in your load manuals, search posts on this forum and others, better yet, find someone who already loads to mentor you if that's possible. I'll bet you can at your local gun range. Stay safe and welcome to the club!
Old November 18, 1999, 08:36 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

Required:

Scale
Scale weight check set
Dial caliper
Load manual (more is better)
Safety glasses (warning: primers will explode)

"Nice"

everything else; tumbler, case gauges, loading blocks, Co-Ax press, etc., etc., etc.........

.......the list is virtually endless.......

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old November 19, 1999, 08:46 AM   #4
Bianchi

UMSTUD,I know this may sound obvious, but make sure you get the conversion kits and Dies from Dillon with the press. Nothing is more frustrating than opening the box to your new 550 and not being able to get started right away.I started with a 550 also. The Lyman manual is good to study.
Lou