The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 30, 2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Have you heard of this man? Gary Kleck.

As I research counter arguments to the odious proposals being bandied around the Brussels corridors of power I came across an erstwhile gun-control advocate who, courtesy of being judicious in his proof of concept methodology, reviewed 41 research papers on gun control.

The abstract to this 2014 paper by Gary Kleck (and the whole report it seems) can be seen through this link, but the upshot of it is that he found no clear correlation between higher gun ownership and higher gun crime rates, including homicides.

Other anti-gun academics have commented that whilst they don't like the conclusions drawn from the report they can't deny the methodology and, therefore, findings of this report.

I thought members might find it interesting.
Old November 30, 2015, 03:20 PM   #2
TXAZ

I thought that Glenn Meyer had responded in a much earlier thread on a related subject that he knows him.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 30, 2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quite possibly. He was a new name for me but having had his own research ostensibly changing his view on a situation that typically has people entrenched I thought was unusual. His conclusion is also relelvant to my current situation.

And if Prof. Kleck is reading and wants to respond to the EU proposal we are battling.........
Old November 30, 2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Yes, I've met and corresponded with him in my professional role.

He wrote the excellent book - Point Blank, which is one of the first modern mainstays of how civilian guns promote self defense. There are been more and quite a few peer reviewed articles. Point Blank won a major sociology award when it was published.

Of course, antigun scholars hate his work. The biggest controversy revolves around his estimate of the number of DGUs per year.

I suggest one search for his book on Amazon and his articles on Google scholar.

A must read for those who want to seriously discuss why we have the 2nd Amend. and civilian guns beyond just saying it is a God Given right.
Old November 30, 2015, 06:10 PM   #5
gyvel

He's a professor at University of Florida. Some of his early research showed that violent crime in Florida dropped around 20% in Florida after the statewide CCW law was enacted.
SIFE
Old December 1, 2015, 01:56 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Am I right that he was initially anti-gun, but changed his position as a result of his own findings?
Old December 1, 2015, 02:17 AM   #7
gc70

From the preface to a 1993 interview with Dr. Kleck:

Quote:
Readers may be interested to know that Kleck is a member of the ACLU, Amnesty International USA, and Common Cause, among other politically liberal organizations. He is also a lifelong registered Democrat. He is not and has never been a member of or contributor to the NRA, Handgun Control Inc., or any other advocacy group on either side of the gun-control issue, nor has he received funding for research from any such organization.
Old December 1, 2015, 02:44 AM   #8
Brit

Amazing how an intelligent man, with research skills, can come to conclusions!

Said conclusions that are backed up by real numbers. But numbers that come from main stream media? Not so much, for instance the amount of times a good person with a gun wins over a home invading criminal. Does not surface often.
Old December 2, 2015, 05:35 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
...God Given right.
Natural rights!