The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Mobilebrian

Crazy ammo days

New here, hope this is the right board.

Shopping is crazy right now. Went to Academy (where I work P/T in the hunting and fishing department) this am to see if I might be able to get my hands on some .223, 9mm or 22lr. Got there about 15 mins before they opened. There were about 20 people in line, so we got in line. Before doors opened there were another 30. Mgr came out and said there was 1 box/customer/caliber. There was no .22 picked up a couple of boxes of .223. I came right home and placed an order on Brownells (everything I ordered is on backorder) for everything I might need for the next 5 years. It was like standing in a bread line during war times. I ain't doing that again. Keeping my fingers crossed that my ammo actually arrives.

On that note, anyone have any ideas on back order time frames from Brownells?
Old January 20, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Ben Towe

Welcome to TFL!

9mm is scarce around here. .40 is getting that way. .45 ACP is still readily available as far as I know. I haven't checked it really closely as I began picking up a box here and there after Sandy Hook just in case it got hard to find. I found some bulk pack Remington hollow points for about 44¢ per round at Walmart and some Estate ball ammo for about 36¢ per round at a LGS; so over the course of a couple weeks I got enough to shoot my carry gun a sufficient amount to stay in practice in the event of a long ammo drought. Of course 5.56/.223 is very scarce and 75¢ to $1.10 per round when you do find it.

I have some magazines backordered from Brownells. Haven't had any word on how long it will be. 18 days thus far.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Mike38

Quote:
…..everything I might need for the next 5 years.
I don’t have enough money in my bank account to place one order for everything I might need for the next 5 years.

We are becoming our own worse enemies.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Ben Towe

Quote:
I don’t have enough money in my bank account to place one order for everything I might need for the next 5 years.
Me either! For that matter I couldn't store that much stuff. But for the guy that shoots a couple hundred rounds a year, it wouldn't really be that large an order.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:50 PM   #5
DocHopper

The Acadamey in my area is limiting to 2 boxs per caliber per person.
Old January 20, 2013, 06:20 PM   #6
pjp74

Here in North Texas, .45ACP is getting hard to find. 9mm is virtually gone at every store I go to. Luckily, I went into my LGS yesterday and he had 2 cases of. 22LR Mini Mags for $12 a box. It was gone in under an hour, I grabbed up 5 boxes. I saw .45ACP in a brand called Estate, I'm assuming cheap practice ammo for $26 a box.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
JWT

No 9mm to be had around here and also no .22lr.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:06 PM   #8
adamc

Don't bother here in Connecticut
Old January 20, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9
SocialAnarchist

I was at Gander Mountain just north of Madison Wisconsin on Friday. They had a LOT of ammunition. There were extra display tables set up with quite a bit of WWB in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. There was another table with larger boxes of UMC in 9mm and .45 ACP. The regular shelves were quite well stocked with pistol and rifle ammunition. The only ammo I could see they were out of was 7.62x39, with 7.62x54 being close behind with only 4 boxes left.

They had no 25 round magazines for my 10/22, and there were no ARs anywhere to be seen. The pistol cases were full and it looked to me like the prices were the same as they were when I stopped to look around before Christmas.

Down the road at Farm and Fleet the shelves were a lot more bare. No 9mm or .45 ACP, or 7.62x39, or .223 at all. There was about 50 boxes of .40 S&W, and at least that many of .44 Magnum, with 4 boxes of .380.

Both places have quite the stock of shotgun ammunition. It would seem that the weapon to buy right now for home defense would be a shotgun since the ammo is very readily available.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Hammerhead

The only things you can't buy around here (MN) are AR's and AR ammo.
I can't find my favorite bulk .22 ammo, but there is ammo to be found, powder & primers too.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:12 PM   #11
SVO

Both the local Wal-Mart and Academy are limiting the amount of ammo one can buy at a time. Wal-Mart limit is 5 boxes per day, no caliber restriction. Academy is two boxes per caliber in 22 LR, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and 223, with a maximum of 6 boxes per day.

Shotgun shells no limit, so they probably will be next to go short,
Old January 21, 2013, 01:49 AM   #12
jason_iowa

I have not been looking. I do most of my ammo buying online anymore and they have been dry. I buy tons when ammo is reasonably priced. If I find "cheap" ammo I even buy stuff I don't use. Easy to sell or trade even with things are normal. If 9mil hits 30bucks a box of 50 I have a few cases for sale lol.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:22 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm not mad at anyone... it's the nature of the beast...

... but I will admit, that the increase in FICA withholdings ( loss of spending money ) & the lack of available reloading components, may force me to shoot less practice, & limit my CAS shooting this next summer... I refuse to let my component resources get below a certain point...

right now the only primers I'm a little short on, is large rifle, & the local shops have had them, just not enough left in my paycheck to pick them up yet could use quite a few bullets, even in odd calibers ( like .257 ) but even some of those are limited, & of course, I couldn't afford them right now either

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Cheapshooter

I Can understand 9MM, and 223, but why the overwhelming run on 22 rimfire?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 21, 2013, 09:50 AM   #15
TailGator

Quote:
I Can understand 9MM, and 223, but why the overwhelming run on 22 rimfire?
This is a full-fledged panic - reason and rational thinking just aren't coming into it.

The only positive I can think of is that there are bound to be some new shooters among those creating this run on firearms, and so there are some more voters with something to protect in the gun control debate.

But, sheesh, yes, this is getting bizarre.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
Carne Frio

I kind of feel sorry for those who suddenly
realized that they can't get all the ammo
that they want. But not because they can't
find it. I feel sorry for them not thinking a
little bit ahead and not remembering when
a similar panic happened four years ago.
Remember the ant and grasshopper story
from your childhood ?
Old January 21, 2013, 11:13 AM   #17
SgtLumpy

Quote:
it pizzes me off that those folks are causing ME problems keeping my stock at my prescribed levels.
I might come out of this a better shot than I ever was with all the dry fire practice I've been getting in.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; January 22, 2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Response to language filter violation post
Old January 21, 2013, 12:16 PM   #18
adamc

here in Connecticut not much stock

no brass, no primers , etc.

cabelas pistol & rifle counter is pretty empty

I tried to online order some brass & bullets

we will see

I just bought the last 6 boxes (100pk) of large pistol primers from the local wally

looks like a long dry spell is here
Old January 21, 2013, 09:05 PM   #19
Mobuck

Not "low" just less than the supply I like to keep on hand. I load a lot of ammo during the winter and try to maintain the supply by restocking what I use.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:32 PM   #20
mrclean77

My LGS struggles to keep .22 and .223 in stock, but have not raised prices and have a pile of .45ACP, .38, .357, etc, etc, etc

I don't mean to nanny-nanny-boo-boo , I just wanted to show an example of some "good uns" amongst all the horror stories I've read here and elsewhere of price gouging.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:54 AM   #21
Lordy123

I drove around yesterday and ended up buying a bunch of .38 and .357. Everything else was gone or double the price it should be.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:18 AM   #22
ZVP

The "panic" here in California is awfull! No ammo anywhere and even gun shops are cashing-in and raising prices around $9 per box, if they have any!
n Yes planning ahead is good but what about someone who finds a "deal" and buys a 20 ga double and has never owned one before. You need ammo but can't get any! I gotta scrounge around and pay a premium price to just get any...
I hope this all calms down as the last Obama Scare did years ago.
It only took 2 1/2 yrs to have adequate ammo on the shelves.
I hope ammo manufacturers geared up for a faster response this time!
I guess we have to face it, ammo will now cost more from here on too!
Damn Obama and his Gun Grabbers!
ZVP
Old January 22, 2013, 11:50 AM   #23
BigJimP

Potential Assault weapons ban ....has nothing to do with handgun ammo ( especially in calibers like 9mm, .22 lr, .357 mag ) ....

Wholesalers and Retailers....are just taking profit ...and if we participate in the buying frenzy it'll get worse before it gets better / and we become part of the problem !

Having a reasonable supply of handgun ammo - for recreational shooting or whatever...is always smart - especially if you expect the price to go up...but none of this panic buying makes any sense to me.
----------
I reload....but I'm refusing to pay inflated prices on primers as an example, at my local gunshow last weekend they were $ 70/1,000 up from the previous month's prices of around $ 35/1,000 which I thought was high as well.

The mfg's will catch up on inventory - and I think prices will come down, if we can all just keep our heads thru this artificial shortage on handgun ammo like 9mm, .22 lr and .257 mag.....
Old January 22, 2013, 12:14 PM   #24
Xfire68

Went to my local Farm & Fleet last night to just work off some of the dinner I had with my gal and we looked in the hunting section. All but 12g and 20g ammo was sold out.

The funny thing was all of the rifle and pistol calibers were on sale during the shelf cleaning frenzy.

There were a few people that walked up to the ammo shelves while I was there and they asked me "What was going on"? I said it was mostly due to panic buying but, seeing how NY and maybe soon to be other States are passing insane gun laws I can see why some are buying up what they can.

Another guy walked up and said "Where are all the guns"? I said I don't recall this store selling guns as long as I have been shopping here (over 10 years) and he says "What? They sell ammo but no guns?" I said yes it is a bit odd to me as well but it is what it is.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:23 PM   #25
BigJimP

price and availability of handguns is another matter...or another part of this buying frenzy ....( where a lot of people are buying guns now, that have not owned them before - or speculators are adding guns to their inventory that they think will go up in price, that they can later sell for a profit ...) ...high capacity mags may be in jeopardy so they're flying off the shelves at twice the list price, etc...../ and while I don't like it, I get the rationale there...

but how many rounds of 9mm you can put in a mag....has nothing to do with the cost of 9mm ammo (retail 9mm target ammo - has gone from $ 10 for a box of 50 a month or so ago, to between $ 20 - $ 24 a box yesterday in my area )...that has nothing to do with overhead costs of the mfg's ...that's the wholesalers - and the retailers - gouging the customers ! ( us !! ) ...if we let them ...
Closed Thread