The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2013, 04:14 PM   #51
Slamfire

Quote:
Slamfire, I've only seen one slam fire but have seen cases from 20 or so. Every case had a full, normal indentation in its primer.
If you have one, and I hope you never do, you will see a full firing pin indentation and you will take them very seriously.

My service rifle gunsmith told me at least once a year he would receive a M1/M1a that had blown up from an out of battery slamfire.

Now that Garands are only used in fun matches, M1a’s started disappearing after 1995, and are so rare that when I bring mine out, competitors come to my point to gawk, and the AR10 is the long range service rifle, my gunsmith is not going to see blown up rifles at the same frequency. But they will still happen.
Old February 22, 2013, 05:56 PM   #52
GunAddict1962

I for one am much more careful now to avoid possible slam fires. A few years back when I bought my SA M1A, SA included with the rifle and associated paperwork, an article titled "The Mysterious Slam-Fire" by Wayne FAATZ. It's an excellent article with too much info for me to include here. Stupidly, I didn't pay it too much attention when I first saw it. It's a good re-read.

I don't recall seeing anyone mention slam fires with regard to M1 Carbines. My carbine is very sensitive to case dimensions. Has resulted in dimples in the primers of a few unfired reloads. I've eliminated all issues now, though, with proper fit/size.

Thanks, Hummer70, for all the info--especially the historical stuff. I find that fascinating. I'll take your advice and bring my chrony to the range to check consistency between FLS and NS with my bolt gun. I'll also check out the link you provided on accurizing.

BartB, on how do my .308 cases and .243 cases fit into their chambers? I tinker with my dies to get the right fit. Sometimes I'll go ahead and shoot bullets that are a bit loose but never those which are tight. Well, a "little tight" in my bolt gun isn't an issue but I try to avoid it.