The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2012, 10:29 AM   #1
bhcarl

Barrel leading?

Approx. what velocity will lead start to build up in a 357? In other words I would like to keep leading down useing swc factory made bullets. thanks
Old December 11, 2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Crankgrinder

Im sure others will chime in on this, but velocity is not what causes leading, chamber pressure is, which it takes to make that velocity. Then you have fit. if you want to shoot .357 make sure you get the "hard cast" which from factory is usually about 18bhn. On the charts i have state that should be good for about 23000psi, although ive been getting away with much more than that with no lead for a long time with bullets sized .001-.002 over bore size. Only way to find out what your bore size is on your particular gun is to drive a soft bullet of a round lead ball through your bore with a properly fit brass or hardwood dowell and mic the grooves that it produces in what comes out.http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm has a very good article on this subject as does castboolits.com. both can offer much guidance.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Robert Palermo

Just what kind of factory made SWCs are you referring to?
swagged bullets can only be loaded to low velocites in the 700 fps range.
Various cast bullets depending on alloys can be driven to much higher velocities.
leading issues can be things other than just velocity leading as other factors are involved.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4
mikld

The key to keeping lead out of the barrel is bullet fit; revolver bullets sized to the same diameter as cylinder throats (and normally that will be larger than groove diameter). Slug the barrel and cylinder throats of your .357 and size (purchase) bullets accordingly and you will have little or no leading. Most common cause of leading is undersized and too hard bullets.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
reloader28

Fit is king over everything else.
If your buying commercial cast, they are probly sized .357 or .358 and probly too hard.

You'll more than likely need .359-.360. I think 95% of the people that hate cast bullets have never made their own. With undersized, too hard of lube and too hard of a bullet, you will get leading. There is getting to be a few guys selling cast bullets that are sizing right and customizing the alloy, though I cant remember the names.

I rarely and I mean RARELY shoot anything but cast in all of my guns, rifles or pistols, and never have to clean any lead from the barrels.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
bhcarl

Thanks for the answers, will be useing factory swagged bullets, so something in the 700 fps range is fine with me, When I need more I can shoot jacketed ammo.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Tennessee Jed

As long as the fit is ok I would expect no or minimal leading. I had a problem with 38 special lead swc's at around 800 fps, tons and tons of leading. I switched from Power Pistol to Bullseye powder, and the leading went away. Not sure why, maybe because Bullseye is faster-burning and works better for those lower velocities.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:23 PM   #8
mikld

I would forgo the swaged bullets and purchase cast from a reputable manufacturer. Swaged bullets are very soft and most use a dry lube, similar to .22 LR, and often lead barrels because of being so soft with marginal lube. Whenever I purchase bullets I normally buy from Beartooth Bullets (they make bullets in a few diameters for each caliber, and my experience is they use a pretty good lube too).http://www.beartoothbullets.com/