The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
grubbylabs

? 1911 to buy

If you had 800-1000 give or take a few, what 1911 would you buy and why?

I want a 1911 for both fun and a ccw.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 16, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Creeper

I do not own one, but in the current market, a Sig Sauer 1911 RCS would be my first choice in a Colt Lightweight Commander variation... within your price range.

C
Old September 16, 2012, 05:22 PM   #3
dgludwig

I'd go for either a SIG or Smith & Wesson-but I'd stick with a 5" barrel. Too many responders are reporting functioning problems with variants that are much shorter than "Commander" size. However, I've never owned a "compact" 1911, so I can't speak from experience.
Old September 16, 2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
Too many responders are reporting functioning problems with variants that are much shorter.
You've seen this as a trend? To be honest, I've not been looking for that correlation, so I guess I'm not seeing it.

I suppose, there are sooooooo many 1911 brands and models available these days for the CC market that an increase in FTF/FTE failures would have to be almost a given... even with the assumed increase in reliability that one would associate with modern manufacturing controls, there's a lot of cr@p out there.

I've personally never had any issues with Commander length guns, but then I've only owned older Colts and an early SA in that barrel length.

Cheers,
C
Old September 16, 2012, 05:43 PM   #5
mxsailor803

Personally I would LOVE to find a Detonics. Have you physically held/shot any? Would you like to customize it a little bit or leave it alone? Caliber? Does it need to be Ambi? Granted these can all be altered if you pick a brand and you have the ability to do it yourself or take it to a smith. I went with a cheaper Rock Island for the simple fact I wanted to customize it a bit and I don't see the point in buying 1000 buck 1911 and throwing about 3-400 bucks worth parts at. However, if you are going to leave it alone and just carry/shoot it and not do any major alterations to it, Kimbers are awesome.
Old September 16, 2012, 05:46 PM   #6
BarryLee

I would probably try to locate a full-size Colt XSE model. For me Colt is the classic 1911 and the XSE includes several nice upgrades.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 16, 2012, 05:48 PM   #7
dos0711

Ruger SR1911
Old September 16, 2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I'd look at Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson and Springfield in no order of preference. I think Springfield makes some great 1911s but you really can't go wrong with a 1911 from any of those makers.
Old September 16, 2012, 06:01 PM   #9
grubbylabs

I am not much of a gun smith so I probably wont be customizing it much. and .45 is the caliber of choice. I cast and right now I am using lead and brass I got for free so a box of 50 is running me about 2.50 right now. So I don't really need to save any for ammo, just for the gun

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 16, 2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbylabs
If you had 800-1000 give or take a few, what 1911 would you buy and why?

I want a 1911 for both fun and a ccw.
Colt 1991 Commander, in blue. Why?

It's in your price range.
It's a Colt -- it's tough to find a better (or even equal) 1911 without more than doubling the price.
The Commander is (IMHO) the perfect size for carry while being long enough to be reliable and use as a range gun.
The 1991 series is a back-to-basics 1911 that doesn't have a bunch of fancy bells and whistles that some folks seem to love while others hate.
If you decide to build it up or customize it in the future, Colts are ideal base platforms for custom pistols.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:23 PM   #11
grubbylabs

What makes the Colt better than say a springer or a sig or a RIA or many of the others?

A basics model is what I am looking for, it just needs to work, every time.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 16, 2012, 07:46 PM   #12
erob3

At a price point of $800-$1000 I would steer you to a S&W 1911 Pro Series
9mm. I have owned a Ruger SR 1911- awesome pistol for the money! I currently own a Colt 80 Series 1911 9mm - It's a Colt...nothing else to say. The S&W is a GREAT PISTOL! For the money I would go with a 9mm in any of these, problem is for the amount of money you are willing to spend I would go with the S&W. It's all SS, Novak sights, hand accurized at the factory and a great trigger out of the box. I realize alot of folks may say the .45 is the only way to go and I respect that. The 1911 was originally built on a .45 platform, however, with the progression of things a 9mm is a joy to shoot. Much less recoil, cheaper to shoot at the range and very good personal protection with today's ammo. If your not a big fan of SS take a look at Rock Island Tactical 9mm, very reliable pistol at a bargain price. Also look at STI, lots of options in that price range. For the money you have to spend, bottom line, find a Tactical version of a 1911. Lastly, I would stay with a 5 in; Why..... because I have heard of many timing issues with shorter barrel 1911's. In the end, reliability is everything. Good Luck.

Thank you for the correction. My mistake.

Last edited by erob3; September 17, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:21 PM   #13
grubbylabs

erobe see the above posts as to why I am sticking with 45. As far as SS goes, it drives me nuts to see a SS1911. I personally think they should be blued. But that's just me..

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 16, 2012, 08:51 PM   #14
TacticalDefense1911

Try to stick with a full size gun in 45 acp as anything else will increase the likelyhood of malfunctions if everything is not functioning properly. At that price point I'd recommend the S&W E-series. A lot of nice features for a carry gun and they are built pretty well for the money. If you are open to a used gun look into a Dan Wesson Heritage or a Springfield TRP as they will be much better guns then anything new in the $1k or less price range. Personally, I wouldn't trust much else unless you know how the 1911 works and you have a good understanding of the platform. Too many issues with most production guns on the market these days that need tweaked out of the box to run properly.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:08 PM   #15
JWT

Go for a full size (5" barrel). I'd go for the Ruger SR1911 or a Colt. Personally I like stainless, but that's a matter of preference. I have a Ruger and a Colt Series 80. I like the Ruger more than the Colt, but both are fine guns.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:20 PM   #16
grubbylabs

JWT what give the ruger an edge over the colt?

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 16, 2012, 09:36 PM   #17
Mrgunsngear

My favorite 1911 in that price range is the one above; Springfield Loaded Black Stainless. It runs flawlessly and looks great too.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:15 PM   #18
Adamantium

STI Trojan unless I wanted stainless.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:07 PM   #19
jfrey

Maybe I just got lucky but my Springfield Ultra-Compact has been great. It is a 3 1/2 in. gun and never had any problems with it. My Briley Commander works like a Swiss watch as does my Briley govt. model and my Les Baer Boss 45. I have read where some other shorty brands have not been so fortunate. I once owned a 4 in. Kimber that litterly fell apart, piece by piece, for the six months I had it before I demanded my money back and bought the Springer.
Old September 17, 2012, 01:20 AM   #20
michael t

Colt Commander or a Colt Defender I have several Commanders and a older Defender. Both my Defender and Colt New Agent have run 100% since new. I know some compacts had trouble years back But seems most have got them working Colt and Kimber see to work fine.
I had a Para Ord compact . It almost made me swear off compacts Was just a 1 shot pistol even after factory worked over was still a 1 shot pistol But Ive not had any trouble from Colts .

Why a Colt over others Well they been making them the longest Have only a couple MIM parts and I have never had a bad Colt . I have 7 now and will buy Colt Again . I have a 2007 Dan Wesson its a great pistol . But now I think they have priced them selves out of what Iam going to spend, and that about 1000 max. So Colt still get my nod. As for S&W, it has a external extractor I don't consider that a true 1911 design.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:16 AM   #21
loose_holster_dan

never tried smith or ruger, but i have owned and have friends who have owned colt, springer, sti, kimber, sig, para, taurus, and probably a few others i'm forgetting. all the colts and sti's have been flawless. the higher end springers have been good. sigs have all had feed issues. kimbers have had feed issues and poor tolerances and quality control. taurus, like all taurus, are terrible in all aspects except maybe looks. para is just ok. nothing special.

i have personally only kept my colts (gold cup trophy and defender), my sti (spartan v 9mm), and my custom build. i have shot friends' colts and sti's as well. everyone seems to have good luck. the higher end sti's are amazing.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 17, 2012, 08:09 AM   #22
Hunter Customs

Colt or Springfield.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 17, 2012, 08:28 AM   #23
mySig229

SIG all the way...one of the best manufacturers in the world. Not to mention they have lots of models to choose from

1911 Extreme? uploadfromtaptalk1347888465664.jpg

Scorpion? uploadfromtaptalk1347888496518.jpg

Many more than these...
Old September 17, 2012, 08:51 AM   #24
west5757

I assume you are looking for a .45 full size but if not I would suggest a Springfield EMP. I've had mine for a few years now and it is a great shooter.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:21 PM   #25
Firefighter88

I have a Taurus PT1911AL. So far after 500 rounds, which isn't saying much, of several different brands of ammo, no problems. The trigger is kind of stiff, but it groups very well. I paid close to $600 for it and it hasn't given me a reason not to like it yet. I don't know how many rounds it takes for you to trust your life with a gun, but for a, so far, reliable low end 1911, it's worth the money I paid for it.

Last edited by Tom Servo; September 19, 2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Removed "a$$"